What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured & Confirmed Signings - Part 5

WestyLife

First Grade
Where did the Bullemor chat come from? He’d be the great replacement for Sorro.

Im not sold on Wilton, especially starting. I much prefer Martin and Hoskin

I think we need Martin in the middle. He's a brilliant second rower of course but that can be replaced easier than the intensity Martin/Leniu bring in the middle.

maple_69

Bench
No chat on Bullemor outside just discussion that he’s be a nice pickup for us.

I have the form fullbacks as HTF, Walsh, Edwards, Meaney, Latrell and Kennedy. Edwards is the only one there with more than 8 weeks of form. I’d say if Teddy flops in Origin/doesn’t pick it up later in the year, Edwards has a good case to be the definitive number one in the game and should get a look in for the Kangaroos.

Exsilium

Coach
No chat on Bullemor outside just discussion that he’s be a nice pickup for us.

I have the form fullbacks as HTF, Walsh, Edwards, Meaney, Latrell and Kennedy. Edwards is the only one there with more than 8 weeks of form. I’d say if Teddy flops in Origin/doesn’t pick it up later in the year, Edwards has a good case to be the definitive number one in the game and should get a look in for the Kangaroos.

I rate Edwards and Meaney as the two best fullbacks right now. Both consistently do what is needed. The rest are very hit and miss.

Meaney is heavily underrated. I was shocked when the dogs let him walk. He was one of their best in a losing side.

soc123_au

Staff member
I rate Edwards and Meaney as the two best fullbacks right now. Both consistently do what is needed. The rest are very hit and miss.

Meaney is heavily underrated. I was shocked when the dogs let him walk. He was one of their best in a losing side.
Dogs are too busy chasing "Names" they have forgotten about the kind of players they actually need.

Luke Bowden

First Grade
I think we need Martin in the middle. He's a brilliant second rower of course but that can be replaced easier than the intensity Martin/Leniu bring in the middle.
He’s a NSW / Kangaroos level Edge back rower, unless he’s being replaced by another Equally good back rower, I wouldn’t move him.

He needs to be on our Left edge, Hosking on the right.

Go to market and try and find a hard running pysco middle.

WestyLife

First Grade
He’s a NSW / Kangaroos level Edge back rower, unless he’s being replaced by another Equally good back rower, I wouldn’t move him.

I agree completely I'm just thinking overall team balance Vs individual skill. If you know of a middle that can bring that intensity I'm here for it.

GowersDallyM

Juniors

Lodge on the cheap is that pysco ...we lack massive bodies in the middle. Rabbits have Burgess that gets them rolling up the middle and Storm have NAS., Broncos have afew...we don't have that real big body that takes alot to get them down with the ability to offload. Other than Lodge I guess another good option would be TPJ again.

Luke Bowden

First Grade
Lodge on the cheap is that pysco ...we lack massive bodies in the middle. Rabbits have Burgess that gets them rolling up the middle and Storm have NAS., Broncos have afew...we don't have that real big body that takes alot to get them down with the ability to offload. Other than Lodge I guess another good option would be TPJ again.
I’m not a fan of lodge. I personally wouldn’t him here.

Rumours going around that the knights are trying of load one of the Siafiti (spelling??) twins . That could be an option.

Id love TPJ back for the right price. He really did a job for us. Although I believe that’s out of the question.

soc123_au

Staff member
It's insane how different Ivan's recruitment philosophy is to Gus.

Gus wants the biggest names coming off contract while Ivan loves plod.
Sometimes I think they recruit based off the noise on the Kennel. They think they shopuld sign every marquee available.

Kiks was a great example, with TPJ on big money the last thing they needed was 800k ish tied up in an impact back rower. Same as Critta, they need some decent middles before a high priced centre that may be a decent fullback. Should have kept Hethro & Vaughn and gone after a serviceable 7 and another decent middle.

age.s

First Grade
I’m not a fan of lodge. I personally wouldn’t him here.

Rumours going around that the knights are trying of load one of the Siafiti (spelling??) twins . That could be an option.

Id love TPJ back for the right price. He really did a job for us. Although I believe that’s out of the question.
If "offload" translates to "paying a decent amount of freight" than either of the Saifiti brothers would be droolworthy.

mxlegend99

Referee
It's insane how different Ivan's recruitment philosophy is to Gus.

Gus wants the biggest names coming off contract while Ivan loves plod.
Oddly Gus wasn't after the big names with us. He started out buying scrap heap players to fix our cap and cop the losses while we nurtured our juniors.

He then bought what we needed. Soward, Wallace, Whare, Peachey etc. He bought solid guys looking for opportunities.

Only two guys he paid big money to recruit were James Tamou and Trent Merrin. He sort of did this when they looked like the final pieces of a premiership puzzle though.

At Bulldogs its just throw everything at the biggest name whether they need him or not. Not exactly sure why they went for someone like Critter when they desperately need a genuine spine player. An established spine player for either 1 or 7.

Mahoney and Burton can be part of a premiership puzzle. They need atleast one more premiership quality spine player though. Critter as great as he can be is not the answer at fullback IMO. With us he probably could do the job with the rest of our spine.

soc123_au

Staff member
Oddly Gus wasn't after the big names with us. He started out buying scrap heap players to fix our cap and cop the losses while we nurtured our juniors.

He then bought what we needed. Soward, Wallace, Whare, Peachey etc. He bought solid guys looking for opportunities.

Only two guys he paid big money to recruit were James Tamou and Trent Merrin. He sort of did this when they looked like the final pieces of a premiership puzzle though.

At Bulldogs its just throw everything at the biggest name whether they need him or not. Not exactly sure why they went for someone like Critter when they desperately need a genuine spine player. An established spine player for either 1 or 7.

Mahoney and Burton can be part of a premiership puzzle. They need atleast one more premiership quality spine player though. Critter as great as he can be is not the answer at fullback IMO. With us he probably could do the job with the rest of our spine.
It's weird. I wonder if as he is getting older there is a bit less patience. Possibly more pressure at the Dogs as they seem to think being a contender is an entitlement that is owed to them, whereas we as a club seemed to be pretty happy to see some kind of progress in the right direction.

The blueprint he used here would translate well to the dogs imo. A few hard workers from decent systems would be better than the flashy types they seem to go for. They do have a few decent kids on the books, getting a good work ethic into them would pay dividends down the track.

Latest posts