What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured & Confirmed Signings - Part 5

Iamback

Coach
Didn't the Dogs last year re-sign RFM for a further 2 years?
Sutton, they bought in on decent coin too. Now they are giving him the boot after 11 games.
That is really poor judgment. Both players were part of the Dogs long-term future last year and now a little while later they are not. And poor Salary Cap management to cut their losses so soon. What a shitshow that club is.

That is what Gus does. His last few years here were the same

Original Name

Juniors
But he is a half naturally and has played most of his footy there. We arent speaking about throwing him into first grade next season we are talking about a potential replacement for Luai in 2025.
The two things I was trying to imply is you'd like him consistently against men to judge what he's really got in that position. You want to judge how good Cogger is as a half before we make a decision to let Luai re-sign somewhere else. How someone played in the 16's or whatever doesn't matter in relation to that because of how soft the defence in those age groups are. Cogger was a better player than Cleary in most of the junior grades getting picked for NSW ahead of Nathan. The skills that result in you carving up an 16's team and being the best around doesn't necessarily mean you're going to be consistent first grader from a young age because basics matter much more the higher level you play. I'd like to see him play a bit more before seriously considering it as an option.

The second thing is the club themselves have been pushing him to play more and more centre who plays as a back up half. Does that indicate Penrith's coaching staff they see him more as a centre in the first place?

Last edited:

betcats

Referee
The two things I was trying to imply is you'd like him consistently against men to judge what he's really got in that position. How someone played in the 16's or whatever doesn't matter in relation to that because of how soft the defence in those age groups are. Cogger was a better player than Cleary in most of the junior grades getting picked for NSW ahead of Nathan. The skills that result in you carving up an 16's team and being the best around doesn't necessarily mean you're going to be consistent first grader from a young age because basics matter much more the higher level you play.

The second thing is the club themselves have been pushing him to play more and more centre who plays as a back up half. Does that indicate Penrith's coaching staff they see him more as a centre?

I wouldnt say they see him as more of a centre, it seems like he is a running 6 who they think can play centre, it was just fitting him into the cup side possibly with the intention of using him like Burton as a potential critta replacement next year or depth in the centres at least. He started the year in the centres sure but he has been picked in the halves(when not injured) for a while now keeping falls on the bench.

Iamback

Coach
I wouldnt say they see him as more of a centre, it seems like he is a running 6 who they think can play centre, it was just fitting him into the cup side possibly with the intention of using him like Burton as a potential critta replacement next year or depth in the centres at least. He started the year in the centres sure but he has been picked in the halves(when not injured) for a while now keeping falls on the bench.

We will offer Luai $900k.

Plenty to buy several half options

betcats

Referee
We will offer Luai $900k.

Plenty to buy several half options

No idea what we will offer Luai but im sure if he doesnt take it we could use it to buy someone else, question would be how would that money best be spent if Luai does leave. If cole kicks on and we show faith in him we could put it towards someone else, potentially and upgrade at hooker. Cleary is a veteran already by 2025 he will be at his peak, again this is IF cole kicks on(and Luai does choose to leave) we could partner Cleary with a youngish half and still be a great side imo.

Ive seen enough from Cole over the last two years to suggest he is going to be a first grade player, already he is a very good defender, strong running game, decent kicking game. He has had an injury interrupted season this year which is unfortunate but to me people seem to be writing him off as an option in the future based on him being picked in the centres or the cup side not performing as well as they did last year.

Iamback

Coach
No idea what we will offer Luai but im sure if he doesnt take it we could use it to buy someone else, question would be how would that money best be spent if Luai does leave. If cole kicks on and we show faith in him we could put it towards someone else, potentially and upgrade at hooker. Cleary is a veteran already by 2025 he will be at his peak, again this is IF cole kicks on(and Luai does choose to leave) we could partner Cleary with a youngish half and still be a great side imo.

Ive seen enough from Cole over the last two years to suggest he is going to be a first grade player, already he is a very good defender, strong running game, decent kicking game. He has had an injury interrupted season this year which is unfortunate but to me people seem to be writing him off as an option in the future based on him being picked in the centres or the cup side not performing as well as they did last year.

Who is writing him off?

If you losing a top 3 5/8th then you want to be certain you have the replacement ready to go

I

betcats

Referee
Who is writing him off?

If you losing a top 3 5/8th then you want to be certain you have the replacement ready to go

I

Of course but the salary cap makes that difficult, if we lose Luai we arent likely to go out and sign a rep half to come in if there are any on the market. It will far more likely be someone younger and less established that would be signed as a replacement for Luai, or a journeymen type to add depth in case someone like Cole doesnt work out.

Aliceinwonderland

First Grade
Who is writing him off?

If you losing a top 3 5halves. /8th then you want to be certain you have the replacement ready to go

I

Is that the reasoning behind the Laurie signing on a 12month deal. To give the club options, let Laurie develop in the halves, (in cup) To make a call in 12months time. By then we should know of Luai's intentions.

To me, that sounds quite astute.

Iamback

Coach
Of course but the salary cap makes that difficult, if we lose Luai we arent likely to go out and sign a rep half to come in if there are any on the market. It will far more likely be someone younger and less established that would be signed as a replacement for Luai, or a journeymen type to add depth in case someone like Cole doesnt work out.

even bring Katoa back, There are always players available that would go well in our system. Just need someone eyes up so not even sure Cole would fit the need

betcats

Referee
even bring Katoa back, There are always players available that would go well in our system. Just need someone eyes up so not even sure Cole would fit the need

He is signed for 2025 already, wouldnt mind him back but we are going to need someone for 2025 if Luai leaves. Cole seems a good fit with Nathan to me assuming he can keep developing. His natural running game would fit nicely on the left side. Obviously the goal is to keep Luai but if he does leave there isnt going to be a perfect solution, id have no problem with the club backing the talent we have to fill the void for us in that case.

Iamback

Coach
He is signed for 2025 already, wouldnt mind him back but we are going to need someone for 2025 if Luai leaves. Cole seems a good fit with Nathan to me assuming he can keep developing. His natural running game would fit nicely on the left side. Obviously the goal is to keep Luai but if he does leave there isnt going to be a perfect solution, id have no problem with the club backing the talent we have to fill the void for us in that case.

The stack of back up halves we lost would be the 1st calls.

In theory 2025 seems hwaps of time to develop Cole. The plan would of been to use May/Turuva instead of Peachey as backup to develop for replacing Crichton.

So can't throw all the eggs in the one basket

You only have to look at the DWZ, RCG and Blake deals to know that so much money was wasted by Gus during that time.

Ivan when he came back quickly moved the above 3 on. This cost Penrith's cap heaps.
With the exception of DWZ; I love Dallin but I’ve said a few times (so apologies for repeating myself) that moving on DWZ to the Dogs without a cap hit was the best but of business Ivan did that year.

betcats

Referee
The stack of back up halves we lost would be the 1st calls.

In theory 2025 seems hwaps of time to develop Cole. The plan would of been to use May/Turuva instead of Peachey as backup to develop for replacing Crichton.

So can't throw all the eggs in the one basket

Yeah we need options no doubt. Iongi could be another from the young crew, he has the passing and running game to make a good 6. If Luai goes a decent Journeymen or another young talented but unestablished half might be the best we can do on the market, a lot will depend on who is available. Laurie is interesting to me, I think he has talent, defensively would be a worry but I am looking forward to seeing him back in our system next year. If he works hard could be a stop gap for a year in the case of luai leaving.

Aliceinwonderland

First Grade
With the exception of DWZ; I love Dallin but I’ve said a few times (so apologies for repeating myself) that moving on DWZ to the Dogs without a cap hit was the best but of business Ivan did that year.

I adore Dallin too. I agree, it was a wise decision. To do it without a hit on the cap was brilliant, because we took hits for Reg and Blake, (big ones at that)

In hindsight moving on Sauce was brilliant too. Harsh to the point of being unjust. But it needed to happen.

Latest posts