What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured & Confirmed Signings - Part 5

Blade23

Juniors
Luai can't talk to any club officially. The grey area is they can approach him, or (if he had an agent) his agent with vague promises.
As far as I am aware he has talked to rival managers to value himself, and a couple of other clubs have approached him that wish to talk after Nov 1. Sometimes Nov 1 comes and clubs go cold.
The club will try to have a go at getting him tied up before the deadline. Later this week will be an important step.

Iamback

Coach
I didn't think they were supposed to even express interest at this stage. Did you get word from one of your contacts?

You can talk to anyone at any stage. From the sounds of it. Flanno has been gauging interest to whether guys would be interest in leaving, Which is legal

Yeah, It is hard without any actual offer but say they go $1.1m for 4 years = $4.4m

an extra year here which puts the deals closer, Add in Origin jerseys here and the deals line up that way

Iamback

Coach
Luai can't talk to any club officially. The grey area is they can approach him, or (if he had an agent) his agent with vague promises.
As far as I am aware he has talked to rival managers to value himself, and a couple of other clubs have approached him that wish to talk after Nov 1. Sometimes Nov 1 comes and clubs go cold.
The club will try to have a go at getting him tied up before the deadline. Later this week will be an important step.

How it was worded to me was. Dragons said we may looking to grant Hunt his wish to leave Lets talk post Nov.

So fits in that grey area

Iamback

Coach
My understanding is they can have ’informal’ discussions just cant make a formal offer.

I certainly don’t undervalue Jerome, but I think from our salary cap position I wouldn’t be offering above $800k.

Stuff happens too, Take the Dragons Hunt might get on well with Flanno and want to see out his deal. That then rules them out of going for Luai.

That should be the ceiling, I think like Edwards should be open to an extra year if it gets the job done

soc123_au

Staff member
How it was worded to me was. Dragons said we may looking to grant Hunt his wish to leave Lets talk post Nov.

So fits in that grey area
Yeah, I guess you could draw that Hunts money or close to it would be on the table. You can see why waiting until Nov 1 would be tempting.

Whatever he decides it will be nothing but best wishes from me, he has earned it. Still hope he stays though. Seeing the video of To'o in tears at training in Crittas last session was sad. Cant imagine how Luai going would be.

Iamback

Coach
Yeah, I guess you could draw that Hunts money or close to it would be on the table. You can see why waiting until Nov 1 would be tempting.

Whatever he decides it will be nothing but best wishes from me, he has earned it. Still hope he stays though. Seeing the video of To'o in tears at training in Crittas last session was sad. Cant imagine how Luai going would be.

I don't begruge anyone going, Just think if you are wanted. Staying in a good system opens more TPA's during playing time and most post career income but each to their own

soc123_au

Staff member
I don't begruge anyone going, Just think if you are wanted. Staying in a good system opens more TPA's during playing time and most post career income but each to their own
Hard to know the dollar differences when you take all that into consideration. I'm sure whoever is looking after it from our end will advise him to give Api, Burton & Kiks a call and have a chat about what losing is like. It's not something Luai has had much exposure to.

Kilkenny

Coach
I think the length of the deal on the table plays a big part.

In the case of Api and Kikau, along with Crichton and Lenui, I don’t think we were that far away in dollar terms, but in each case the length of the respective deals was the deciding factor.

Kilkenny

Coach
Hard to know the dollar differences when you take all that into consideration. I'm sure whoever is looking after it from our end will advise him to give Api, Burton & Kiks a call and have a chat about what losing is like. It's not something Luai has had much exposure to.
MattBurtons career has definitely stalled.

Api I can u derstand his decision, potentially his last big contract, closer to home, assuming he still lives in Balgowlah. Sort off made sense.

The decisions of both Stephen Crichton and Spencer Lenui kind of surprised me. Both still very young with there best footy ahead of them, I thought they would have stayed for a bit less.

Whino

Bench

In the case of Api and Kikau, along with Crichton and Lenui, I don’t think we were that far away in dollar terms, but in each case the length of the respective deals was the deciding factor.

I think are a few variables.
Api and Kiks likely last contracts. The last chance to cash in.
If you believe the news about the other two. Both left for opportunities. Spencer to start and greater minutes. Crichton possible FB chance.
I think the with Luai. It will probably take a stupid offer too good to turn down to prise him out of here.
If we are reasonably close that should get us over the line.

GowersDallyM

Juniors
MattBurtons career has definitely stalled.

Api I can u derstand his decision, potentially his last big contract, closer to home, assuming he still lives in Balgowlah. Sort off made sense.

The decisions of both Stephen Crichton and Spencer Lenui kind of surprised me. Both still very young with there best footy ahead of them, I thought they would have stayed for a bit less.
I think Criiter would have got close to 1 mill a year at the dogs and thought he'd have a real shot at playing fullback so I could definitely see why he left.

I've said all along Luai would go and I'm still fairly sure he will. Someone will offer him 1.1m over 4 or 5 years and that's that! We offer him what 2.4 over 3 years? I know where I'd be going especially if was someone like the dogs who already have ex panthers

Iamback

Coach

Api's was age

The others play in a position you can't pay overs for.

Luai in theory could get more, the issue is he likes to be a rogue, Not sure you are paying someone who doesn't play nice with the media $1m

Kilkenny

Coach
I think Criiter would have got close to 1 mill a year at the dogs and thought he'd have a real shot at playing fullback so I could definitely see why he left.

I've said all along Luai would go and I'm still fairly sure he will. Someone will offer him 1.1m over 4 or 5 years and that's that! We offer him what 2.4 over 3 years? I know where I'd be going especially if was someone like the dogs who already have ex panthers
You may well be right, but with respect Jerome is not worth $1 million or more, particularly over four years.

In respect of Crichton he obviously wants to play fullback and earn the money that goes with it. Time will tell whether he truly is a fullback, assuming he gets a crack at the Dogs.

I agree. I think he goes for really good money.

And I would wish him well; big part of our best ever team, he has wasn’t the right to look after himself and his family.

Chins get the wins

First Grade
You can talk to anyone at any stage. From the sounds of it. Flanno has been gauging interest to whether guys would be interest in leaving, Which is legal

Yeah, It is hard without any actual offer but say they go $1.1m for 4 years = $4.4m

an extra year here which puts the deals closer, Add in Origin jerseys here and the deals line up that way
Doubt Luai plays for NSW again