What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured & Confirmed Signings - Part 5

Fangs

Coach
Except he signed to play FB....

Then they sign Taffe and Tracey.

Now talk is Burton going to centre... they are a rabble and I have no problem them getting good by using their kids.

While they use this model. They and any other team can go to hell

I agree that the options available may work against them. Ciraldo is inexperienced and if they start poorly this year he will be tempted to move players.

Otherwise they have bought in experienced players and many from clubs who have recently played finals football. So if things do get tough they are in a much better position to work their way out of it.

Your hatred for the Dogs is great. Those things build up the rivalry. Burton, Kikau and Crichton coming back home in round 10 is very juicy for both the players and the fans.

Iamback

Coach
I agree that the options available may work against them. Ciraldo is inexperienced and if they start poorly this year he will be tempted to move players.

Otherwise they have bought in experienced players and many from clubs who have recently played finals football. So if things do get tough they are in a much better position to work their way out of it.

Your hatred for the Dogs is great. Those things build up the rivalry. Burton, Kikau and Crichton coming back home in round 10 is very juicy for both the players and the fans.

A spine of

Taffe
Salmon
Hutchinson
Mahoney

Has 3 grand finals. 1 premiership... all have played finals BUT would be the worst in comp.

Quality over quantity is better in these cases.

To be fair... I hate all clubs that try to buy themselves out of trouble and inflate the player market.

Luke Bowden

First Grade
Except he signed to play FB....

Then they sign Taffe and Tracey.

Now talk is Burton going to centre... they are a rabble and I have no problem them getting good by using their kids.

While they use this model. They and any other team can go to hell
There is no way Burton plays centre in that team.
Sexton and Burton are a great halves pairing. They just need a little time together.

Fangs

Coach
A spine of

Taffe
Salmon
Hutchinson
Mahoney

Has 3 grand finals. 1 premiership... all have played finals BUT would be the worst in comp.

Quality over quantity is better in these cases.

To be fair... I hate all clubs that try to buy themselves out of trouble and inflate the player market.

Well if that is their spine they are totally stuffed.

Crichton
Burton
Sexton
Mahoney

They'd be mad to do anything different to start the season. Give them at least the first 6 rounds. Especially Crichton who has the least number of games in that position. Probably somewhere around 10-15 games and some of them filling in due to injury mid-game.

If they blow all that up because super star signing Drew Hutchinson wants to play 7 I'll be very surprised.

Luke Bowden

First Grade
Both Burton and Ciraldo confirmed he wasn't guaranteed to be the 6. Which is dumb

I agree but I doubt Hutchison came to sit on the bench. Same with Mann and the other 500000009 utility's they bought
Of course they said that, but come on, surely no one believes that.

There is no chance that a head coach and a player are going to share actual team news like that with the media.

Hutchinson will most likely play 14

Kurt Mann I think will be fighting Curran for the 13, depending what sort of attack they run.

Iamback

Coach
Of course they said that, but come on, surely no one believes that.

There is no chance that a head coach and a player are going to share actual team news like that with the media.

Hutchinson will most likely play 14

Kurt Mann I think will be fighting Curran for the 13, depending what sort of attack they run.

Salmon, Taffe, Hutchinson and Tracey all had other options yet chose there.

I doubt they did that to play NSW Cup

Luke Bowden

First Grade

Logically
Taffe should play 1
Tracey is a good shot at centre spot, in my opinion, he’ll be ahead of Bronson X.

I think Salmon will take an edge position on the bench.

All that aside, they signed with the Dogs for better contracts, hence the reason they have stuff all middles and won’t do much in the comp until they do.

Taffe should play FB. Crichton Burton Centres, Sexton and Hutchinson halves. Tracey I'm stuffed on. The others would be on bench. But their recruitment has to be desperate and I'm sure some of those players would be moved on.

The Realist

Juniors
Well if that is their spine they are totally stuffed.

Crichton
Burton
Sexton
Mahoney

They'd be mad to do anything different to start the season. Give them at least the first 6 rounds. Especially Crichton who has the least number of games in that position. Probably somewhere around 10-15 games and some of them filling in due to injury mid-game.

If they blow all that up because super star signing Drew Hutchinson wants to play 7 I'll be very surprised.

I think Crichton could be a good perhaps very good fullback but I can't see him being top tier without 2-4 seasons of work. However, he is already pretty much the best Centre in the game. Given that the Bulldogs are looking, indeed are desperate for success NOW or in the near term - it doesn't make sense for the club, the under pressure rookie coach or Gus to ease players in with a long term view.

IMO Crichton will play fullback only to fill in, if injuries strike or the form of the designated fullback(s) is appalling.

The Realist

Juniors
Not even close. Maximising wealth during your short career; smart move.

Remember he isn’t a fan; this is his life.

He reportedly took around 50K more than the Penrith offer. It was definitely under 100K. Even after several years that is peanuts when you are already in the 700-800K mark. That little bit extra - and you have to relocate to (arguably) a shittier area, away from your mates, away from a winning team and culture.

And to top it off - if the Bulldogs end up performing poorly - it would negatively affect his value going into his next contract.

Fangs

Coach
I think Crichton could be a good perhaps very good fullback but I can't see him being top tier without 2-4 seasons of work. However, he is already pretty much the best Centre in the game. Given that the Bulldogs are looking, indeed are desperate for success NOW or in the near term - it doesn't make sense for the club, the under pressure rookie coach or Gus to ease players in with a long term view.

IMO Crichton will play fullback only to fill in, if injuries strike or the form of the designated fullback(s) is appalling.

He was quite competent in the handful of matches that he played in the 1 for us. I'd say the improvement comes quicker than 2-4 seasons.

Yes he would create a lethal left edge with Burton and Kikau (And potentially ADC if he survives). So its a consideration. Defensively it locks up a side as well. But he is their star import and I assume he signed with the fullback spot as his prize not just the money. Taffe is a capable back up and option B in my books.

Whatever they decide they must stick at it. Making chances in the first month will end their season before it really starts.

He reportedly took around 50K more than the Penrith offer. It was definitely under 100K. Even after several years that is peanuts when you are already in the 700-800K mark. That little bit extra - and you have to relocate to (arguably) a shittier area, away from your mates, away from a winning team and culture.

And to top it off - if the Bulldogs end up performing poorly - it would negatively affect his value going into his next contract.
When your workplace is negatively impacting, it impacts your home life. If only 50k more to go to the Dogs than that's woeful decision.

Iamback

Coach

This. Luai's case is different but staying for the slightly less longer term is better

Iamback

Coach
Logically
Taffe should play 1
Tracey is a good shot at centre spot, in my opinion, he’ll be ahead of Bronson X.

I think Salmon will take an edge position on the bench.

All that aside, they signed with the Dogs for better contracts, hence the reason they have stuff all middles and won’t do much in the comp until they do.

That is why as discussed I think Curran or Kiks moves to the middle.

They signed a stack of 14's which is the easiest position to develop. Just dumb but it is glorious seeing the shit teams do the same over and over

Luke Bowden

First Grade
That is why as discussed I think Curran or Kiks moves to the middle.

They signed a stack of 14's which is the easiest position to develop. Just dumb but it is glorious seeing the shit teams do the same over and over
Curran is a middle? he plays 13.

They really only signed two genuine 14’s. Mann and Hutchinson

Salmon and Tracy aren’t 14’s in book. I can’t see that they’ve been signed with that in mind.