What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured & Confirmed Signings - Part 5

Luke Bowden

First Grade
That's EVERY televised game on fox or Facebook. Must somehow have blinders in every other game then
I’m not sure what you’re looking at then.

The Melbourne Storm don’t try and sign players that haven’t shown anything but his name.

He’s a very solid edge defender that, for his age runs excellent lines. He’s pretty much on the same track as Liam Martin was at a similar age.

but yeah, shown nothing…. Hahahaha

betcats

Referee
I like what I’ve seen from Geyer so far, he is hard working and mobile with decent skill for a big guy. I think people set the bar to high for young players. They think if someone can play first grade then they should be tearing up cup. Lindsay spent years showing nothing by that standard before having a great year in first grade.

soc123_au

Staff member
I like what I’ve seen from Geyer so far, he is hard working and mobile with decent skill for a big guy. I think people set the bar to high for young players. They think if someone can play first grade then they should be tearing up cup. Lindsay spent years showing nothing by that standard before having a great year in first grade.
I think part of it with him is expecting to see his Dad out there. I know the first few times I saw him play I wanted a bit of 91 Origin.

Luke Bowden

First Grade
He, has the fundamentals locked in. That’s not common in players his age. It demonstrates an excellent work ethic.

Pantherjim.

Referee
Presser done. Bit ridiculous but if the game wants to be like NFL this will become the norm even.

When does training return?

Am F*cking glad that’s over. Finally the club can move on without this media circus shit show, upgrade Sunia and Mitch’s contract, potentially also going into the market for more depth for 2025.

Also never really worried about missing Luai for 2025 and beyond TBH:

A. He’ll be 28 by the time he hits pre-season training at Concord Oval. 1.2 million a season over five years is never a wise investment for a player that age of Romey’s calibre. He’s a decent 5/8th but he’s nothing spectacular.

B. We didn’t need him to claw back a 16 point deficit in a National Rugby League Grand Final to win it by two points with less than 20 mins left to play, so…

C. Plenty of options to replace him with the likes of Geyer, Schneider and Laurie, with plenty of time to blood them in that position too.

Am F*cking glad that’s over. Finally the club can move on without this media circus shit show, upgrade Sunia and Mitch’s contract, potentially also going into the market for more depth for 2025.

Also never really worried about missing Luai for 2025 and beyond TBH:

A. He’ll be 28 by the time he hits pre-season training at Concord Oval. 1.2 million a season over five years is never a wise investment for a player that age of Romey’s calibre. He’s a decent 5/8th but he’s nothing spectacular.

B. We didn’t need him to claw back a 16 point deficit in a National Rugby League Grand Final to win it by two points with less than 20 mins left to play, so…

C. Plenty of options to replace him with the likes of Geyer, Schneider and Laurie, with plenty of time to blood them in that position too.
I have to agree. The future looks really good. Money in the bank, players to re-sign and maybe some others to come in.

I would start this season with Cole on the bench with: Smith, Hosking or Garner (depends if Hosk stays) and Henry

kinghippo

Juniors
I think he'll play around with the 14 spot seeing as Luke was a flop
It’s up for grabs that’s for sure, and we have lots of good player’s who will be wanting to try and own.
I think peachy will probably get it to start with, or someone who can cover centre.
It will probably then depend on injury.
If Kenny needs a break sommerton will get a run, Schneider if the halves have a niggle etc

Last edited:

The Realist

Juniors
Bit of a myth. Peach can only really play centre and backrow. We need to look to the future at 14 at least till September

He is a decent running #6 or #13 when given the chance. I agree with people saying he really can’t play the hooking #14 role, and whilst I agree he doesn’t do it well, he is more competent at it than the average player.

Biggest problem with Peach is that he is a defensive liability.

He is a decent running #6 or #13 when given the chance. I agree with people saying he really can’t play the hooking #14 role, and whilst I agree he doesn’t do it well, he is more competent at it than the average player.

Biggest problem with Peach is that he is a defensive liability.
The right centre defensive hole that Critta leaves is our biggest concern this season.

While the wrap on young McLean will more than likely work out in a couple of years, the Parra game last year, remember, the game when Sivo scored 4 and Gutherson humiliated us on one leg, well it only proved that trust in the man either side of you is more important than most things.

In that game we saw Bizza make so many poor reads in defence because I believe he just didn't trust McLean inside him. And Bizza is one of my favourite players so that was hard to watch.

I hope Ivan and the staff can fix this quickly because as the GF exposed, Tago is a left centre as he was the target early in the second half and then the "trust" thing got involved.

kinghippo

Juniors
The right centre defensive hole that Critta leaves is our biggest concern this season.

While the wrap on young McLean will more than likely work out in a couple of years, the Parra game last year, remember, the game when Sivo scored 4 and Gutherson humiliated us on one leg, well it only proved that trust in the man either side of you is more important than most things.

In that game we saw Bizza make so many poor reads in defence because I believe he just didn't trust McLean inside him. And Bizza is one of my favourite players so that was hard to watch.

I hope Ivan and the staff can fix this quickly because as the GF exposed, Tago is a left centre as he was the target early in the second half and then the "trust" thing got involved.
That is the big question mark on the squad.
We didn’t see any real attempt to backfill Crichton’s departure last year with Peachy, Garner and Hosking getting the available time.
I don’t think any were serious long term strategies, but all did their job and here we are with another Premiership :)

It kind of feels we are starting from scratch with the centre, May hasn’t played for a year and is changing positions, Alamoti has been touted as a defensive liability ( I think he can improve quickly in our system, but is new to our style of play).
We haven’t seen such a big question mark on a team position apart from the bench for a few seasons.

Iamback

Coach

Aside from May.

We have 3 options who are teenagers in McLean, Alamonti and Cole

With Garner if Ivan wants safe, I am not worried about centre. Impact off the bench is my concern

betcats

Referee
I think we need to look to the future a bit with our depth selections and the utility spot. The player drain from the last 3 years is getting up there, we are a development club so we need bring on the next gen. Henry will obviously be in the mix. Id like to see cole or sommerton on the bench each week, the outside backs being covered by McLean/alamoti/cole or iongi over peach. Geyer, Lisati and possibly hasset covering injuries etc in the pack.