What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured & Confirmed Signings - Part 5

Big Mick

Referee
You think so, we don’t have a lot of free cap space, why spend it on Luke Garner. We got Riki, Geyer, Lisati and as yet unknown quantities from Flegg/Ball sides. If true this is a very underwhelming signing. We have issues in other areas .
Riki is likely to sign with the Dolphins, I'm told. Not certainty by any means, but they are monitoring for depth coverage.

Geyer will get his chance next year but needs to work on a few things so still pretty raw.

The others way too raw.

At the moment we've got Salmon running around moonlighting as a backrower. Now he's done...ok...against meh teams but against good teams - not having that competent edge off the bench will hurt.

Garner may be defensively deficient when he's asked to defend at centre, but as a backrower he's had his moments in his career and has a good line run in him. In our system, I think he'd be a different kind of player. He is not a Kikau replacement, he's a Capewell one.

Now I don't think we can adequately replace Kikau. Not unless TPJ miraculously hits the market and decides to play here for half price. But what we can maybe do is get two players to have the same energy and through a full 80 minutes to replicate it maybe.

So maybe they are trying the moneyball strat...I dunno. But I don't think there's too many like for like's for Kik's that are going to be willing to accept the money that Penrith can offer.

Not unless, we do like Kikau and find one in lower grades/juniors at another club - and develop them like Kikau - but again....need a stop-gap.

Kilkenny

Coach
Garner is a good hole runner who can score a few tries.He has speed and deceptively strong for his 94kg frame.Hes no kikau but he's not lazy like kiks either.
A lazy, inconsistent Kikau is a million times the player Garner is.

Anyway, if he has signed let’s embrace him and hope it works out.

Iamback

Coach
Riki is likely to sign with the Dolphins, I'm told. Not certainty by any means, but they are monitoring for depth coverage.

Geyer will get his chance next year but needs to work on a few things so still pretty raw.

The others way too raw.

At the moment we've got Salmon running around moonlighting as a backrower. Now he's done...ok...against meh teams but against good teams - not having that competent edge off the bench will hurt.

Garner may be defensively deficient when he's asked to defend at centre, but as a backrower he's had his moments in his career and has a good line run in him. In our system, I think he'd be a different kind of player. He is not a Kikau replacement, he's a Capewell one.

Now I don't think we can adequately replace Kikau. Not unless TPJ miraculously hits the market and decides to play here for half price. But what we can maybe do is get two players to have the same energy and through a full 80 minutes to replicate it maybe.

So maybe they are trying the moneyball strat...I dunno. But I don't think there's too many like for like's for Kik's that are going to be willing to accept the money that Penrith can offer.

Not unless, we do like Kikau and find one in lower grades/juniors at another club - and develop them like Kikau - but again....need a stop-gap.

We have a couple of Kikau style guys but very raw. 2 years at $250k is perfect for Garner

Big Mick

Referee
Far be it from me to question the decisions of people who know better but I just think When you have successful NSW Cup, Flegg and Ball sides surely there are a back rower or two in our ranks who can fulfil the breach. Garner is certainly not going to replace Kikau that is a given.
Well when you've got successful NSW Cup, Flegg and Ball sides, often those teams get raided for their players and need to find adequate replacements for them too.

Sometimes the option you think would be good, wont be at the club

Kilkenny

Coach
Well when you've got successful NSW Cup, Flegg and Ball sides, often those teams get raided for their players and need to find adequate replacements for them too.

Sometimes the option you think would be good, wont be at the club
Absolutely, but that is where the retention and recruitment committee do there business.

Big Mick

Referee
We have a couple of Kikau style guys but very raw. 2 years at $250k is perfect for Garner

Which is about the price we are paying.

Kikau style guys in juniors vs having that same impact at NRL level is very different.

Vaipuna Tia Kilifi was meant to be the next Tony Puletua and did SFA post Under 20's.

They might come good, they might not....but they still need time to develop and not be rushed - which is why guys like Garner, Capewell before him, Sorenson etc...they all matter.

Big Mick

Referee

There is one sentence that warms the cockles of my heart about this signing.....Garner takes a pay cut to join Penrith in 2023.
Well he was on $375k. There is no one in their right mind who would give him that money again. So pay cut would have been on the table whoever he joined.

Aliceinwonderland

First Grade
Well he was on $375k. There is no one in their right mind who would give him that money again. So pay cut would have been on the table whoever he joined.

Well spotted Mick. But it still warms my sad little heart. LOL. A bargain is a bargain. Cleary is gaining a reputation for of doing good things with such players.

Big Mick

Referee
As for Hooker - and I'm being serious here - I really want to have a crack at CHT and convert him to a hooker.

How no one is looking at him as cover for halves or a starting half etc is beyond me.

But he's got the toughness required to play hooker, can pass both ways, kicking option out of dummy half.

And I know I joked previously about the Busted Nuts Club and working with Wallace - but in all honesty - a great mentor to have for a conversion from Half to Hooker.

I really wish we'd take a look at him - but don't know if he'd be in budget.

Iamback

Coach
Which is about the price we are paying.

Kikau style guys in juniors vs having that same impact at NRL level is very different.

Vaipuna Tia Kilifi was meant to be the next Tony Puletua and did SFA post Under 20's.

They might come good, they might not....but they still need time to develop and not be rushed - which is why guys like Garner, Capewell before him, Sorenson etc...they all matter.

Agreed. Even Kikau took 18 months to get to an explosive level.

I'd still re-sign Chris Smith. That gives 3 with FG experience the kids can make up the rest of the squad

Iamback

Coach
As for Hooker - and I'm being serious here - I really want to have a crack at CHT and convert him to a hooker.

How no one is looking at him as cover for halves or a starting half etc is beyond me.

But he's got the toughness required to play hooker, can pass both ways, kicking option out of dummy half.

And I know I joked previously about the Busted Nuts Club and working with Wallace - but in all honesty - a great mentor to have for a conversion from Half to Hooker.

I really wish we'd take a look at him - but don't know if he'd be in budget.

How is his defence? I wanted him as a centre.

With Volkman signing along with Metcalf CHT will be pushed out

Kilkenny

Coach
I went to NSW Cup/Flagg games on Saturday sat next to a guy, clipboard on hand taking notes, couldn’t help myself just in conversation asked him who was looking at scouting.

I was wearing my Panther polo, he just laughed, made a joke about reading about it on social media.

That was as far as the conversation went, but he was clearly a scout/manager looking at one or more of our juniors.

He left at half time in NSW Cup so I can only assume his interest was in one or more of our Flegg side.

Aliceinwonderland

First Grade
I went to NSW Cup/Flagg games on Saturday sat next to a guy, clipboard on hand taking notes, couldn’t help myself just in conversation asked him who was looking at scouting.

I was wearing my Panther polo, he just laughed, made a joke about reading about it on social media.

That was as far as the conversation went, but he was clearly a scout/manager looking at one or more of our juniors.

He left at half time in NSW Cup so I can only assume his interest was in one or more of our Flegg side.

I'm sure it happens many times during the year.

I'm also sure Penrith scouts do the same.