What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured & Confirmed Signings - Part 5

Kilkenny

Coach
Which is about the price we are paying.

Kikau style guys in juniors vs having that same impact at NRL level is very different.

Vaipuna Tia Kilifi was meant to be the next Tony Puletua and did SFA post Under 20's.

They might come good, they might not....but they still need time to develop and not be rushed - which is why guys like Garner, Capewell before him, Sorenson etc...they all matter.
I agree there has been many Vaipuna’s, not his fault, just the sad fact many junior superstars aren't able to make the step up.

I still think however there has to be at least one back rower, edge forward in our junior ranks who can offer equal or more than the supposed new recruit.

age.s

First Grade
Anyway I've never really liked Garner. Always seemed to have a grubby streak that outweighed his ability, like Mitch Barnett in black and orange. Assuming we've got him at market value its an ok signing, though no more than that. If he's in any way intended to be the strike weapon on our left edge then its a pretty grim decision.

Original Name

Juniors
I can guarantee you he's not.
Minimum wage deals or close to it are for guys who are up and coming in the top 30 or nobody else in the NRL will sign like Bryce Cartwright after he went terribly at the Titans. People have this weird pre conception about them. They don't get handed out to guys who have played 62 NRL games. Garner and anyone who's played that much first grade will be ahead of rookies in every coaches eyes because he's proven with a few exceptions of like the next Angus Crichton. He'll be cheap by the standard of starting second rowers if he starts. You wouldn't take 110K when another club will offer you 400K to start and Garner could find a club somewhere like the Dogs or Manly.

I'm pretty sure the NRL wouldn't allow that either with the new laws they put in place about market value. He'll probably be on like 350K for us.

Last edited:

Kilkenny

Coach
There has been some conversation on here suggesting we may struggle to make top 4 in 2023 without Api Koroisau.

Can I suggest if Luke Garner is around our starting 13 or in the 17 in 2023 we’ll to add to the loss of Api our top four prospects would look very sim indeed.

if he has signed, he is depth and depth only.

Original Name

Juniors
Crap club the Tigers. Majority would agree.

Rarely does anyone improve in that environment. Any player at the Tigers goes to a new level at the Panthers.
He was playing decent, reliable footy as backrower whenever he got a shot. Madge is just weird about who he rates. BJ was in the starting team and Momo was depth for two years. That's how the Laurie/Momo swap happened and why Momo was swapped to the Storm for two other depth players respectively.

Big Mick

Referee
I agree there has been many Vaipuna’s, not his fault, just the sad fact many junior superstars aren't able to make the step up.

I still think however there has to be at least one back rower, edge forward in our junior ranks who can offer equal or more than the supposed new recruit.
Of course there can be, but doesn't mean you throw all your eggs in that basket.

Big Mick

Referee
There has been some conversation on here suggesting we may struggle to make top 4 in 2023 without Api Koroisau.

Can I suggest if Luke Garner is around our starting 13 or in the 17 in 2023 we’ll to add to the loss of Api our top four prospects would look very sim indeed.

if he has signed, he is depth and depth only.

Honest question here. Who is our starting backrow next year?

11. ????
12. Martin
13. Yeo

We can't move Sorenson back to backrow, he'll be awful with more minutes and lateral movement in defense. He's good where he is and effective.

Only other option I can think of is to put Yeo on the edge again and then put Leniu at lock which is also not optimal because it takes away a link player in Yeo.

So who is it? Because it aint Riki, Smith, Geyer.

That is why guys like Garner make sense.

Kilkenny

Coach

11. ????
12. Martin
13. Yeo

We can't move Sorenson back to backrow, he'll be awful with more minutes and lateral movement in defense. He's good where he is and effective.

Only other option I can think of is to put Yeo on the edge again and then put Leniu at lock which is also not optimal because it takes away a link player in Yeo.

Your opinion mate. Equal to mine. You fill in the blanks with Garner there and let’s see how that works for us.

Iamback

Coach

11. ????
12. Martin
13. Yeo

It is why Tago makes sense.

Chris Smith would start Round 1 for me

Latest posts