What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured & Confirmed Signings - Part 5

Aliceinwonderland

First Grade
Depends what you want. Not looking for a long term backrower. You are wanting a solid FGer to plug a gap

He wanted out. Dragons needed to get rid of a player we needed middles at the time

Exactly Lamback. A short term replacement, that is willing to slot back into reggies when the kids come through.

Ivan and coaching staffs in the past have shown a nack for using such buys to great advantage.

Problem is if you throw too many kids in too early you're asking for trouble. Don't forget some of these kids have lost 18 months worth of footy. That is not easy replacement.
Penrith need a couple of older heads to plug the gap, and then be then backup for injury and the like.

Rome wasn't built in a day. It was built by adding one brick after another, using a design and plan as a guide.

Iamback

Coach
Lol depends what you want???

Considering theyd both be similar coin or garner more...

And burns is younger, faster, much bigger, stronger and a better ball runner and most likely cheaper... that answers itself mate.

Doesnt matter whether its a stop gap or not why wouldnt you want the better player for probs same or less coin...

I know the logistics of the swap.. it was just a poor tradein terms of abilities

The rule is you are a 1st grader after 50 games.
Garner has 61 games. Into his 6th season of NRL. Had 2 years of NSW Cup before that.

Burns played Flegg in 2018. During his 1st year of NSW Cup played 1st grade
Next year no lower grades
Again last year not a full season
26 NRL games.

One is experienced. One is not much above a rookie - Which doesn't suit if you want to give the rookies more time to develop

Original Name

Juniors
Garner has 61 games. Into his 6th season of NRL. Had 2 years of NSW Cup before that.

26 NRL games.

One is experienced. One is not much above a rookie - Which doesn't suit if you want to give the rookies more time to develop
I'm shocked Billy played 26 games. Must have been invisible in most of them. I thought he played like 8 for the Dragons.
And burns is younger, faster, much bigger, stronger and a better ball runner and most likely cheaper... that answers itself mate.
Also this is a bit weird. Faster yes, his biggest asset with the ball is he's skilful and smart, can line run awesomely, ball play and kick but he must be one of the physically weakest second rowers going around. Hits the line and always gets stopped cold unless he's hitting a half gap any player we can sign can do better taking one out hit ups. Running at defence line with no gaps in it he has as much impact as Jason Saab.

The Penrith players on instagram used to post instagram stories joking about him when he took his shirt off for his lack of muscles or when he did weights.

Last edited:

kinghippo

Juniors
As for Hooker - and I'm being serious here - I really want to have a crack at CHT and convert him to a hooker.

How no one is looking at him as cover for halves or a starting half etc is beyond me.

But he's got the toughness required to play hooker, can pass both ways, kicking option out of dummy half.

And I know I joked previously about the Busted Nuts Club and working with Wallace - but in all honesty - a great mentor to have for a conversion from Half to Hooker.

I really wish we'd take a look at him - but don't know if he'd be in budget.
CHT has a lot of potential. His defence is decent, he is creative and seems to work pretty hard on the field. If he became available at a cheap price he would be a great back up in the half’s now we have lost 2 7’s to the dolphins. I can see what you’re saying about playing hooker too, but he would need a lot time with the team before being ready as a first grade 9.

Big Mick

Referee
Riki has been really really good since coming back from injury in cup.

Hes strong very very mobile and has a really really good offload.

At 195cm and 106kgs hes the man to replace kiks.

I have no doubt hed be playing fg elsewhere.

He would offer 10x what garner would off the bench.

People are kidding if they think otherwise.

11. Riki
12. Martin
13. Yeo

14. Kennr or luke
15. Spencer
16. Sorensen
17. Geyer or hopgood

Hopgood seems to be the forgotten man abit.
Been nsws cups best.

1. Hopgood going elsewhere.
2. We've not seen Riki in grade yet, only NSW Cup and QLD Cup. And while he's performed well, to make him a starter in NRL based off NSW Cup form and say other people are kidding themselves is kinda......

Riki also not re-signed, he was signed to a 1 year development deal and was part of the Dolphins in Qld Cup last season. If he's performing great, I would suggest a reunion is on the cards potentially. I actually hope he gets a shot during Origin when Martin will likely be selected for NSW to see if he's up too it - and if he is then give him a contract. Because right now - we are super light on the backrow heading into 2023.

Big Mick

Referee
CHT has a lot of potential. His defence is decent, he is creative and seems to work pretty hard on the field. If he became available at a cheap price he would be a great back up in the half’s now we have lost 2 7’s to the dolphins. I can see what you’re saying about playing hooker too, but he would need a lot time with the team before being ready as a first grade 9.
Not saying it wouldn't require significant work, that's where Peter Wallace comes in to help and guide.

He can also be a good, NRL quality back up half when Nathan/Jerome go off on NSW duty.

Big Mick

Referee
Billy burns shouldve been the target.. would be similar coin but is a better player.. knows our systems is mates with the boys and played with most..

Never understood why we let him go for blacker..said at the time it was a horrible swap and nothings changed my mind.

Burns hasn't done anything at the Dragons. In a shit team. Let's be real.

But I did say earlier, I wouldn't be shocked to see him return on a Min Deal as part of the Top 30.

In which case, get an NRL experienced Garner and Burns back in the fold. And we'll probably still need 1 more backrower - even if Chris Smith re-signs - assuming Riki goes back to the Dolphins.

Whino

Bench
I have no problems with Garner coming here. I think he will go well.
I would even try getting him here now. He would be very handy with Origin coming up. According to @Roosters rule the Tigers are chasing Hopgood. Might be worth a mid season trade depending on money. Sheens might be more easier to deal with.
If he is solely Kikau's replacement and we are not bringing another 2nd rower I have concerns.

Girds89

Bench

26 NRL games.

Rubbish.. taylans played half a dozen games andis a deadset fg player. Tago same.. critta was too..

I understand what your saying about experience but burns was unfortunatley stuck behind a stacked side that was killing it.

If it wasnt for injuries and being stuck behind a freak pack hed have slmost as many games as garner but ges 3 years younger with more potential..

Garner has played for wests his whole career.. an absolute ramble of a club with no stars that gets towled up 90% of the time. Hes experience doesnt count for heaps.

Id be making riki a priority to sign up.. he has the size and skills.. i know hes untested but thats unfortunatley the position we are in.

We have known we are losing kiks and api..hige loses. But the core experience guys is enough to hold things together. Edwards, luai, yeo, fish, martin, cleary, leota, sorensen, too...all very experienced now and big game players.

And our nsw cup is killing it... its not like the guys down there are struggling. The are blowing teams away and look like tey are doing it in 3rd gear..

Yep we are losing a bit of experience but all the core group are staying.

I wouldnt be concerned about a riki or say burns coming in. Theres enough experience around them and good culture for them to be succesful.

Iamback

Coach
Rubbish.. taylans played half a dozen games andis a deadset fg player. Tago same.. critta was too..

I understand what your saying about experience but burns was unfortunatley stuck behind a stacked side that was killing it.

If it wasnt for injuries and being stuck behind a freak pack hed have slmost as many games as garner but ges 3 years younger with more potential..

Garner has played for wests his whole career.. an absolute ramble of a club with no stars that gets towled up 90% of the time. Hes experience doesnt count for heaps.

Id be making riki a priority to sign up.. he has the size and skills.. i know hes untested but thats unfortunatley the position we are in.

We have known we are losing kiks and api..hige loses. But the core experience guys is enough to hold things together. Edwards, luai, yeo, fish, martin, cleary, leota, sorensen, too...all very experienced now and big game players.

And our nsw cup is killing it... its not like the guys down there are struggling. The are blowing teams away and look like tey are doing it in 3rd gear..

I wouldnt be concerned about a riki or say burns coming in. Theres enough experience around them and good culture for them to be succesful.

Burns can't make an average Dragons side enough said

Roosters issues now are proof that a good structure can only do so much.

I see Garner being like we use Eisenhuth now. Not a regular but good if we need a bit of experience over a raw rookie

Iamback

Coach
I have no problems with Garner coming here. I think he will go well.
I would even try getting him here now. He would be very handy with Origin coming up. According to @Roosters rule the Tigers are chasing Hopgood. Might be worth a mid season trade depending on money. Sheens might be more easier to deal with.
If he is solely Kikau's replacement and we are not bringing another 2nd rower I have concerns.

Hopgood is minmum wage. Garner on $350k ( Over there) It won't work sadly

I don't know if we bring anyone else in. We want to spend the money elsewhere but there has to be atleast a couple of rookie edge forwards in the squad

John Hamblin

Juniors

I don't know if we bring anyone else in. We want to spend the money elsewhere but there has to be atleast a couple of rookie edge forwards in the squad

We need to have faith in the brains trust. You don't get results like we have over the last 3 years without our hierachy knowing exactly what they are doing.

WestyLife

First Grade
Some of you blokes still don't get it. We're Melbourne now. Watch Garner carve up next year.

This. Surprised no one realised we now will be a club that takes average players to save cap space, they'll look good outside our core of stars and then go get big money from struggling clubs while we get the next plodder makeover happening.

Last edited:

Girds89

Bench
Burns can't make an average Dragons side enough said

Roosters issues now are proof that a good structure can only do so much.

I see Garner being like we use Eisenhuth now. Not a regular but good if we need a bit of experience over a raw rookie

Lol not true at all...

Had off season surgery on his ankle..

Made comeback in rd4 in nsw cup and hurt it again and hasnt played since. So half a game all year.

When he was fit last year he was in their team. Griffin is a big fan of his and i have no doubt if or when fit he will feature in their 17..

The roosters will come good and be in the 8. Robonis too good a coach. Theyll finish top 6 id say..

Smug Panther

First Grade

Tago isn't there yet. His ball security is Joel Clinton level

Whino

Bench

Technically half of Garner's salary has already been paid. Be about $175kish left.
Probably don't have that anyway

Whino

Bench
This. Surprised no one realised we know will be a club that takes average players to save cap space, they'll look good outside our core of stars and then go get big money from struggling clubs while we get the next plodder makeover happening.

He took less to come here. Proof some players want to get into our system to better there careers.

Fangs

Coach
This. Surprised no one realised we know will be a club that takes average players to save cap space, they'll look good outside our core of stars and then go get big money from struggling clubs while we get the next plodder makeover happening.

The similarity to Capewell is worth noting. Garner will come to us at roughly the same age and first grade experience. Garner finds the tryline more often as well.

It doesn't mean Garner is destined for Origin and a shot at Kangaroos WC selection like Capewell. But there is clear upside and he is on the cheap.