What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured & Confirmed Signings - Part 5

There is zero chance of that.

Theres only 1 year age difference between them Haas currently churns out big minutes, huge running metres and hit ups. He will only get better . While I remain hopeful Spencer will improve as he gets older, I can’t see him ever achieving the sort of impact Payne Haas delivers.
I think we are using the word ‘impactful’ differently. Haas is a good player and will have great stats; he does a lot of minutes and with it hit ups, metres made and tackles. But I don’t necessarily think that is impactful; I’m not sure it’s something that is really going to help your team win a game and is more easily replaced (albeit I recognise having front rowers who can provide very high quality, long minutes is super helpful in providing flexibility).

Spencer hits like a truck both with and without the ball. The amount of metres made in the tackle after Spencer makes a run is generally very high; he ‘bends’ the line and gets to his feet quicker than Haas. I think he is likely to help his team win more often.

GowersDallyM

Juniors
Am I crazy? Martin is a good but run of the mill second rower.
He a work horse and runs it hard but there is about 10 other second rowers that play alot like him. I'd be letting Critter and Martin both go with Stains and buy Verrils and Angus Crichton (similar to Martin) but Angus has an offload who are both available! Also get myself a good centre..

He a work horse and runs it hard but there is about 10 other second rowers that play alot like him. I'd be letting Critter and Martin both go with Stains and buy Verrils and Angus Crichton (similar to Martin) but Angus has an offload who are both available! Also get myself a good centre..
I like Verrils too (although I think Kenny is going to go alright). I’m less sure about Angus; not sure I would swap Martin for Angus.

GowersDallyM

Juniors
I like Verrils too (although I think Kenny is going to go alright). I’m less sure about Angus; not sure I would swap Martin for Angus.
I only mentioned Angus because it's a similar swap and Angus is off contract. If say Martin wanted 800k and Angus would come to panthers on say 700k and bring Verrils with him (team mates) I'd be happy as it covers both Martin and Api...I think Garner will be a beast for us.

Kilkenny

Coach
I only mentioned Angus because it's a similar swap and Angus is off contract. If say Martin wanted 800k and Angus would come to panthers on say 700k and bring Verrils with him (team mates) I'd be happy as it covers both Martin and Api...I think Garner will be a beast for us.
Liam Martin is a very good player, but his ceiling is $500k. If he can get that sort of money for an edge back rower he is doing pretty good. Even Kikau is only getting $700k a season albeit over four seasons if you believe the media reports.

That makes sense; if they come as a package deal at the right price.

The Realist

Juniors
You didn’t just watch Angus absolutely kill 3 Shifts on the left where we had a 3 on 2 situation? Absolute no to this signing. He has already peaked and is a year or 2 into his decline already.

Martin has a very underrated pass in him and still has good speed and footwork for a 2nd rower. He isn’t using it as much this year but I think it is due to our RHS attack still being quite off compared to 2020/21 and him playing more minutes. We need to sort out our bench.

Absolutely no use in having 2 utilities on the bench who are relatively poor forwards. Both Martin and Kikau at times need a bit more of a rest.

The Realist

Juniors
It’s been a few weeks since I have said this, but I think it bears repeating; I think that Spencer will be the most impactful prop in the comp in 3 years time.

His 2020 and 21 form were considerably more noticeable than 2022. I have NFI what is going on with him. Is he struggling with niggles? Is it the rumoured problems with his fitness? Is it the coaching? Does he have an attitude problem?

I am honestly at a loss as to why he hasn’t kicked on.

His 2020 and 21 form were considerably more noticeable than 2022. I have NFI what is going on with him. Is he struggling with niggles? Is it the rumoured problems with his fitness? Is it the coaching? Does he have an attitude problem?

I am honestly at a loss as to why he hasn’t kicked on.
I think he has generally been amazing this year (absent one or two games). He just doesn’t play a lot of minutes. Maybe that is a fitness issue, but it doesn’t strike me that he is spent at the end of his shifts.

GowersDallyM

Juniors
All I can say is imagine Spencer in a storm outfit.....how crazy good would he be under Bellamy and how scared would we be playing against that

MrBlack

Juniors
All I can say is imagine Spencer in a storm outfit.....how crazy good would he be under Bellamy and how scared would we be playing against that
wellllll - who was the last reject player they devolped? its been a few years now. im talking the last time they did an Ado Carr or a Pappenhausen

As I see it their depth is paper thin right now and will have to sign developed players to be competitive next year. The players they are trying to bring through just arnt cutting it.

Latest posts