What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured & Confirmed Signings - Part 5

I‘ve got some similar beefs with Gus, but Soward & Merrin were decent signings at the time. Especially Soward, he had a great year in 2014.
You missed my point. Soward and Merrin were good signings at the time. However the length of the contracts is the issue. 4 years for Soward at his age and 5 years for Merrin at his age?

You missed my point. Soward and Merrin were good signings at the time. However the length of the contracts is the issue. 4 years for Soward at his age and 5 years for Merrin at his age?

Soward was 29, not that old, and we were in the absolute cellar at the time, we needed to pay overs to attract someone like him to steady the ship.

Merrin was only 26 when he signed with us, but I’d agree 5 years was too much. 4 years would’ve been fine.

Gus’ big mistake was not moving away from his favoured long term contracts as the team started to become more successful.

That’s fair but your initial post wasn’t really clear on what your point was. Agree, now you’ve provided context, that those contract lengths were putrid.

4 years for Soward was fine. He was a top flight half and we needed someone to steady the ship. Yeah we had to swallow a payout at the end, but for Soward it was worth it.

That’s fair but your initial post wasn’t really clear on what your point was. Agree, now you’ve provided context, that those contract lengths were putrid.
My point was that Gould knows how to spend and waste over people money. Everyone in rugby league knew Hook couldn’t coach but Gus signed him up for 3 years plus a 2 year extension.
Name me a coach that Gould has signed that he hasn’t sacked?

My point was that Gould knows how to spend and waste over people money. Everyone in rugby league knew Hook couldn’t coach but Gus signed him up for 3 years plus a 2 year extension.
Name me a coach that Gould has signed that he hasn’t sacked?

The Hook signing was a massive mistake, and it was obvious at the time. Gus blocked me on Twitter for criticising him for it. At absolute best it was a sideways movement, if Cleary was going to be sacked you needed a clear upgrade.

But what’s also true is that without Gus I don’t believe we’d be experiencing our current success. He played a big role with getting the juniors back on track and making the team more competitive in the short term. Overall I’m happy he came to the club.

Pomoz

Bench
The thing about Gus is, he may sign players on 5 year contracts but if they need to go he gets them to move on before their contract finishes. It wasn't Gus who agreed to pay the Eels for RCG and Blake. There is no way he would have agreed to that ridiculous one sided deal. O'Neil and Fletcher have to own that one. He got Mahoney and Soward out before their contracts finished.

It's not how long the deal is, it's how it is managed. Every time you sign a player on potential like Crichton or Burton, you always take the risk they don't deliver value. Gus always seem to manage to find a club for them or negotiates a deal.

Do we think Api would be going if Gus was still here? Or Kikau?

Watch the Dogs become a major force in about three years. They will be a powerhouse again.

The thing about Gus is, he may sign players on 5 year contracts but if they need to go he gets them to move on before their contract finishes. It wasn't Gus who agreed to pay the Eels for RCG and Blake. There is no way he would have agreed to that ridiculous one sided deal. O'Neil and Fletcher have to own that one. He got Mahoney and Soward out before their contracts finished.

It's not how long the deal is, it's how it is managed. Every time you sign a player on potential like Crichton or Burton, you always take the risk they don't deliver value. Gus always seem to manage to find a club for them or negotiates a deal.

Watch the Dogs become a major force in about three years. They will be a powerhouse again.

Yeah but Gus needed to set things up so a future management could handle the contracts he put in place. If Gus had persuasion skills others didn’t, he needed to take that into account. He wasn’t going to be with us forever.

Smug Panther

First Grade

Gus just moved on a good hooker for a bang average one. He's out of touch

Earlier we had the chance to sign/enquire about Robson, But with the success of the Cowboys I think that is now gone. Verrils would be good but HIA special, you will see kenny play 9 more often. We could have gone for JMK, now watch him excel under bennett. Now who I would go for is Egan, it was Nathan originally who brought him here in the 1st place and he has come of age now.

Pomoz

Bench
Yeah but Gus needed to set things up so a future management could handle the contracts he put in place. If Gus had persuasion skills others didn’t, he needed to take that into account. He wasn’t going to be with us forever.
Gus has his flaws, but asking him to predict the future of negotiation is drawing a long bow. How do you put somebody in place who has your years of experience, contacts and communication skills?

Whino

Bench
Meanwhile, Ivan Cleary said his assistant Cameron Ciraldo had not signed any deal with Canterbury yet after being pictured lunching with one of the club’s owners during the week.

“I can tell you for sure he hasn’t done anything yet; if he wants to do another year as an assistant coach, he’s certainly got a spot here,” Cleary said.

Original Name

Juniors
Here’s to hoping we’re kicking tyres on any available tier 1 or 2 hookers for next season.

Has there been any update on Verrills’ situation given Brandon Smith will be there next year?
Verills is a running hooker like Cook. Penrith's main strength is through the pace Yeo and Cleary are able to constitently pass to our outside men. Dunno if it would really suit us. We'd have conpletely restructure our attack to push up around the middle more and play less from first receiver and have Yeo/Cleary as support players which cuts down the amount of decision making they do.

Last edited:

Iamback

Coach

Easy to find a club when you pay frieght to move a player on.

Api and Kiks? Yes they would be our cap would be shot so they'd be gone. Going on recent history, Crichton and To'o would of got 5 year deals on huge money. So we would be no better off in that department

Dogs will be. When they too get rid of Gus they will tread water for a few years

Last edited:
Verills is a running hooker like Cook. Penrith's main strength is through the pace Yeo and Cleary are able to constitently pass to our outside men. Dunno if it would really suit us. We'd have conpletely restructure our attack to push up around the middle more and play less from first receiver and have Yeo/Cleary as support players which cuts down the amount of decision making they do.

I think it’d be easier for a running hooker to temper that style than it would be for a guy who has no running game to find one. What makes Api dangerous is he can run the ball pretty well, it keeps the defensive line guessing. If your hooker has no running game it makes it fair bit easier for the defence.

Latest posts