What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured & Confirmed Signings - Part 5

Abacus

Juniors
I’m sorry to break it to you but Turuva and Jenkins are never ever going to be like for like replacements for Crichton and To’o.
Has anyone argued this ever?! Nobody thinks they will be like for like.

But can we be a top 4 team with Kenny/Luke at hooker? I'm doubtful (but happy to be proved wrong) so if we need to strengthen there we need to save dollars elsewhere. Those coming off contract the next couple of years are 3 outside backs & a young prop who would all be looking for an increased deal. Something will have to give and Staines won't be enough to cover it.

Kilkenny

Coach
There never really is like for like. All I was saying is we should not get into a random like bidding war, just to keep both Brian and Stephen and lose others. That right side hardly gets used in attack anyway.
I understand your point, many others share the same position. I agree there has to be a position where we make a reasonable offer and if the players in question can do better elsewhere we’ll good luck to them I guess. I just make the point our alternatives really are.‘nt any where near as good and will not ever be but that is just my opinion. Others may suggest otherwise.

Here’s to hoping we’re kicking tyres on any available tier 1 or 2 hookers for next season.

Has there been any update on Verrills’ situation given Brandon Smith will be there next year?

Gus is great at managing salary caps. That why we are still paying RCG and Blake under our salary cap to the first of November this year.
He was the only one who thought that hook could coach years ago too. Plus he extended Griffins contract just before he sacked him.
Remember Idris, Soward and Merrin etc?

I‘ve got some similar beefs with Gus, but Soward & Merrin were decent signings at the time. Especially Soward, he had a great year in 2014.

John Hamblin

Juniors
Spencer showed how good he can be. AS others have said Api and Kikau will be huge loses. Thats why we need to win the GF this year. Also Kikau's form might have something to do with him leaving and this could be his last shot at another premiership

Has anyone argued this ever?! Nobody thinks they will be like for like.

But can we be a top 4 team with Kenny/Luke at hooker? I'm doubtful (but happy to be proved wrong) so if we need to strengthen there we need to save dollars elsewhere. Those coming off contract the next couple of years are 3 outside backs & a young prop who would all be looking for an increased deal. Something will have to give and Staines won't be enough to cover it.

I‘m really surprised we didn’t do more to retain Api. I know there’s risks involved with his age, but he’s a pretty fit guy and he‘s one of the major keys that turned us into a title contender.

Do people not remember how much we were struggling at Hooker prior to 2020? Now we’re going to put our faith in a guy with no running game or hope another guy is a real late bloomer. Its a big risk.

I‘m really surprised we didn’t do more to retain Api. I know there’s risks involved with his age, but he’s a pretty fit guy and he‘s one of the major keys that turned us into a title contender.

Do people not remember how much we were struggling at Hooker prior to 2020? Now we’re going to put our faith in a guy with no running game or hope another guy is a real late bloomer. Its a big risk.
It's crazy, but at the time the club wanted him vaccinated and he didnt. But now he is apparantly.

Our best hope is Soni Luke right now. I just don’t see Mitch Kenny being a successful first grade hooker, his game is too limited. He’s a really solid back up and I’m glad we’ve got him for that role, but we should be doing everything to try and make Soni Luke a success.

Latest posts