What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured & Confirmed Signings - Part 5

hindy111

Post Whore
Well the dogs supporters believe Spencer will announce he is going to the dogs from next year.now that will involve a release surly that will not happen .Hold him for the year .if we allow the dogs to raid us it will be open season on signings

You'd have to release him. Why would you do that? Let him sit the season out if he becomes disgruntled.

I just hope the Dogs don't come after our halves. Being that both will demand 1mill each I assume we will lose one. Id rather it be Moses.

Aliceinwonderland

First Grade
You'd have to release him. Why would you do that? Let him sit the season out if he becomes disgruntled.

I just hope the Dogs don't come after our halves. Being that both will demand 1mill each I assume we will lose one. Id rather it be Moses.

Penrith recently have a good track record of playing (who intend to leave the following season) playing their hearts out for the club in their final year.

I have no idea whether Lenui stays or goes. I'd like to see him stay, but there will be big dollars thrown at him from desperate clubs.

Also Penrith do have some development players comming through too, who look to be special MG as an example.

Fascinating times.

Smug Panther

First Grade
Penrith recently have a good track record of playing (who intend to leave the following season) playing their hearts out for the club in their final year.

I have no idea whether Lenui stays or goes. I'd like to see him stay, but there will be big dollars thrown at him from desperate clubs.

Also Penrith do have some development players comming through too, who look to be special MG as an example.

Fascinating times.
Young MG has been living off his dad's name so far imo

Last edited:

Aliceinwonderland

First Grade
Young MG has been living off his dad's name for far imo

I'll admit Smug, I'm yet to see him live (possibly this may never happen). I have liked what I've seen off the telly.

I'm not into stats and the like, but to me he appears to have good leg drive, and can spot a hole in the defensive line.

I just hope he continues to improve.

Girds89

Bench
Gus doesnt have a plethora of juniors to pick from at cantebury.

The rebuild he did at penrith is vastly different to what he has to do at the dogs.

They are completly different clubs. The dogs junior catchment area is tiny in comparison to ours.

When he first came here he didnt go after big buys like he has at the dogs. He knew wed need to rebuild from the ground up starting at the juniors.

Thats not going to work at the dogs. The simply dont bring through enough nrl ready players to be solely a development club.

Of course gus is tinkering with the roster at the dogs. Whats he been there for? 12 months or so? Hes got a new coach that will want his say on the team... it takes lomger than 12 months to sort out a salary cap and get a side you want.

I think the dogs will be in for a big couple years. I think they will push for the 8 this year. But maybe 24 they will be really strong.

All will depend on how well ciraldo can develop the halves and spine.. they have the pack to be strong.

People are quick to lay the boot in to gus all the time.. yet everywhere hes coached or been involved theres been success to an extent.. im sure the dogs will return to a force under his watch over the next few years

Iamback

Coach
Gus doesnt have a plethora of juniors to pick from at cantebury.

The rebuild he did at penrith is vastly different to what he has to do at the dogs.

They are completly different clubs. The dogs junior catchment area is tiny in comparison to ours.

When he first came here he didnt go after big buys like he has at the dogs. He knew wed need to rebuild from the ground up starting at the juniors.

Thats not going to work at the dogs. The simply dont bring through enough nrl ready players to be solely a development club.

Of course gus is tinkering with the roster at the dogs. Whats he been there for? 12 months or so? Hes got a new coach that will want his say on the team... it takes lomger than 12 months to sort out a salary cap and get a side you want.

I think the dogs will be in for a big couple years. I think they will push for the 8 this year. But maybe 24 they will be really strong.

All will depend on how well ciraldo can develop the halves and spine.. they have the pack to be strong.

People are quick to lay the boot in to gus all the time.. yet everywhere hes coached or been involved theres been success to an extent.. im sure the dogs will return to a force under his watch over the next few years

Depends if they are allowed to get settled or not. To how long they stay bottom 8

As for their recruitment, they went hard early before guys could be looked at.

Take Mahoney, Their player of year is off to the Dolphins as a result. Patience is needed often with clubs.

Schoupp is 21. Doorey 22 both will start at their new clubs

Girds89

Bench
Depends if they are allowed to get settled or not. To how long they stay bottom 8

As for their recruitment, they went hard early before guys could be looked at.

Take Mahoney, Their player of year is off to the Dolphins as a result. Patience is needed often with clubs.

Schoupp is 21. Doorey 22 both will start at their new clubs
They went hard early cause gus knows what he needs to be successful.

They have two very young inexperienced halfs who are learning. Averillo will be there fb who is still learning the position.

If you look at their top 30 theyve stacked the forwards. Suggests to me that to get the best out of burton flano and averillo gus knows theyll need to get over the advantage line most weeks and play on the front foot.

Doorey wont start at parra. No way hes getting a look in over lane or matterson and hopgood or brown will be lock. Hell jag a bench spot.

Schoupps a good young player. But he wouldnt start at all clubs. Just so happens hes going the club with easily the weakest top 30.

Gus has built a pack that should be competitive against the top sides. Which is whst is needed right now for the dogs. Burton and flanno arent good enough yet to create oppurtunities for the outside men if they are on the back foot most weeks.

They are still a little way off but they will imprive a lot this year under ciraldo.

Only have to look a tpj this off season..lost over 10kgs. Missed out on the world cup to be the fittest hes ever been.

They will cause teams trouble next year

Iamback

Coach
They went hard early cause gus knows what he needs to be successful.

They have two very young inexperienced halfs who are learning. Averillo will be there fb who is still learning the position.

If you look at their top 30 theyve stacked the forwards. Suggests to me that to get the best out of burton flano and averillo gus knows theyll need to get over the advantage line most weeks and play on the front foot.

Doorey wont start at parra. No way hes getting a look in over lane or matterson and hopgood or brown will be lock. Hell jag a bench spot.

Schoupps a good young player. But he wouldnt start at all clubs. Just so happens hes going the club with easily the weakest top 30.

Gus has built a pack that should be competitive against the top sides. Which is whst is needed right now for the dogs. Burton and flanno arent good enough yet to create oppurtunities for the outside men if they are on the back foot most weeks.

They are still a little way off but they will imprive a lot this year under ciraldo.

Only have to look a tpj this off season..lost over 10kgs. Missed out on the world cup to be the fittest hes ever been.

They will cause teams trouble next year

Who is the last club to buy a premiership? So the jury is still out as to if it works to gut a team and recruit everyone.

Matterson is a middle, Murchie or Bryce is Doorey's competition and give him an off season without injuries he will start

Correct but how would he go outside Kikau and a decent 7?

You just identified 7 as the issue which is correct but that is where sitting back to assess the young guys as the better option to get the money needed.

Burton is going to get extra but where is the extra to upgrade Flanno?

Keeping the player of the year for $300k as opposed to spending double that on bringing in a 9 probably gets there.

TPJ likely starts off the bench at $700k, Again keeping Doorey is cheaper and likely has a higher ceiling allows those things to happen.

So that is where I see the Dogs struggling. Had they sat back and built slowly then I'd have them closer to the 8 than now. You are right though they will trouble a few teams but consistency especially with the spine will hurt them

Girds89

Bench
Who is the last club to buy a premiership? So the jury is still out as to if it works to gut a team and recruit everyone.

Matterson is a middle, Murchie or Bryce is Doorey's competition and give him an off season without injuries he will start

Correct but how would he go outside Kikau and a decent 7?

You just identified 7 as the issue which is correct but that is where sitting back to assess the young guys as the better option to get the money needed.

Burton is going to get extra but where is the extra to upgrade Flanno?

Keeping the player of the year for $300k as opposed to spending double that on bringing in a 9 probably gets there.

TPJ likely starts off the bench at $700k, Again keeping Doorey is cheaper and likely has a higher ceiling allows those things to happen.

So that is where I see the Dogs struggling. Had they sat back and built slowly then I'd have them closer to the 8 than now. You are right though they will trouble a few teams but consistency especially with the spine will hurt them
Roosters have been buying premeirships forever mate.

Cows improved massivley this year after a few key buys over the last few years. Broncs have brought reynolds walsh and capewell over the last few years... and they are a development club!!!

We are one of the the last true clubs that really solely relies on development from within.

Almost all other clubs these days use a balance of develoment and recruitment...just some clubs are more skewed to recruitment than others..

If tpj puts his head down and ciraldo can get the best out of him he could easily be the best prop in the game. And that to kikau who is the best 2md rower in the game... thompsons a good worker.. than they have a lot of other solid forward options..

Mahoney at 9 to direct them all around and get them playing on the front foot!!

Burton and flano will have more time and space this year and averillo out the back is dangerous..

Im not convinced flano is the 7 they need moving forward but i think theyll push for the 8 this year if there guns stay fit.