What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured & Confirmed Signings - Part 5

maple_69

Bench
Our left edge won’t be as potent. Our middle defence is unlikely to be as tight. Cleary and Yeo won’t have the benefit of the guile of Api giving them some more space. On the flip side we need our right edge (including Edwards) to continue improving. Luke needs to offer a kicking option out of dummy half. Cleary and Luai need to improve again and get more clinical. We could upgrade on Salmon’s role with a Turuva/Lisati demanding that role. Our edge defence and go forward should be just as strong next year.

We obviously go a little way back to the pack with these losses, but there are opportunities to offset those in other areas to stay ahead. Up to Ivan to identify how to structure our game and make the adjustments.

BxTom

Bench
I've been almost waiting for such a personal comment. Thanks Tom.

At least I wait till the player leaves the club, before I get the knife out.

Some of you here are the first to stick the knife in, and line up on the fence next weekend for a selfie or an autograph. From the same player you rubbished up hill and down dale on a footy forum.

I call that being 2 faced.
What a load of spite and dribble. I thought you were better than that

Aliceinwonderland

First Grade
What a load of spite and dribble. I thought you were better than that

I was not the one who became personal when discussing this, You did. I also took pain not to single anyone out when making my opinion known.

If you go back you see that I used the word 'US' not you.

So included eyeryone in that comment, even myself.
I wasn't calling out anyone in particular. Just making a generalised coment about how flickle us members and fans are.

Obviousy Tom comprehension is a skill you're yet to acquire.

Before I hit the post reply button, originally I hesitated slightly.

I mused there would be one of two who became paranoid enough to take my coment personally and answer with bile.

Thank you Tom for proving me right.

Original Name

Juniors
The suggestion we just need someone to do a job, to counter the loss of Kikau is rather flawed. This notion we just need someone who can make tackles is ridiculous as is the suggestion the game is somehow moving away from the bigger, mobile forwards.
I mean I don't disagree with but most of this but if anything if teams are finding it far easier easy to score and gain momentum then tackling well to deny momentum, controlling the ruck, defending well at marker, inside pressure, having a good work rate, winning first contact, etc becomes far more important than it was before and those players who can't are getting exposed more.

If more points are being scored in general better defence matters even more because when you can say as a team I can defend extremely well and you can't it's pretty hard to lose. I don't get the logic that higher point scoring eliminates the value of defence, it increases it.

Iamback

Coach
I just said he could use with a bit of aggression in his game. It's like he doesn't realise how good his is and how athletically gifted he is. The guy averages 100m a game without even trying. Not saying he should be dropped or released or anything.

You need to look at it in comparison to other centres though. He has been playing FG since he was 19 in the top grade. Numbers wise is all good all part of developing

Iamback

Coach
Also with contracts you are playing for off field as much of on field.

Our guys particularly Luai cop shit but off the field are model players. Always sign authographs and so on.

WestyLife

First Grade
You need to look at it in comparison to other centres though. He has been playing FG since he was 19 in the top grade. Numbers wise is all good all part of developing

Which is why it's being mentioned but no one is hating on him with it.

Iamback

Coach
That really hits the nail on the head. In SOO game 3 Holmes scored a try by busting through the tackle of Tupou and Critter. He accelerated and run hard and bang, he scored. Critter can't accelerate like Holmes but he can start a metre further back and needs to really wind up and run hard. It's like he doesn't realise how big and strong he is. He lopes into tackles instead of trying to bust through them. He is 99kg and 6'4" and yet he has 32 tackle breaks vs Holmes 56. Holmes is 90kg and 6'1". Tago has 45 tackle breaks and Taylan May has 70 tackle breaks!

Come on Critter, get angry, get aggressive, rip in!

The flip side is though

Tago has 20 errors to critters 9.

Is it better to go at say 90% and have less errors or go at 100% and make more errors?

Iamback

Coach
Which is why it's being mentioned but no one is hating on him with it.

Not saying anyone is but these things need to be put in to context though when discussing.

Granted he was poor in Origin. He was 4th choice centre for NSW, still very inexperienced and comfortable in the Penrith system he knows.

Would Staggs done better? I so no QLD had old heads in key areas of halves and centres and it showed.

Club side of things. He has played 68 games and has 58 wins. 1 draw from that.

37 tries. 20 try assist while being under 22. Will take way under Dolphins offer to stay at club so the overall picture is still good

Girds89

Bench
Also with contracts you are playing for off field as much of on field.

Our guys particularly Luai cop shit but off the field are model players. Always sign authographs and so on.
For the back half of the year id love to see a new determination from luai.

Just stop worrying about pumping up the boys or being a pest.

Focus on becoming the best 5/8 he can be. He is capable of brilliant stuff but goes missing or gets too worried about the niggle and loses focus.

Id just love to see him zip it and just be determined to own his own game and really take ownership of the team.

To often i think he sits back and sees blokes like nathan, api, yeo, kiks around him and he just takes the back seat.

I want to see him push nath or yeo out of the way at times and demand the ball.. i want to see him doing is grubbers again in goal for 6 agains.
Just see him own the game.

Weve seen at times what he is capable of. He can really turn a game on his head. His running game can be up there with the best in the gamez same with his short grubbers.

But we just see him take the back seat to often. Whens the last time we saw him even try a 40/20?? He is more than capable of it... again i think he just sees the quality of players around him and seems to become a bit of a passenger..

If we can get to the point where he is as confident as nath is in terms of running and kicking game than our team will go to a whole new level.

Hes just one of those guys that i think doesnt quite realise how good he could be. Ive got no doubt he (and the others) will be hurting. I just hope ivan or ciraldo pulls him aside over the next few days and just tell him to own his game for the back half of the year. They should be telling him to be better than munster every week. Have 10 or 15 runs a game. Dont let nath do all the directing and demand the ball at times when he sees its on.

It was all a bit to one dimensional in origin with everything running through nath api and yeo.

In the finals last year (yes we were injured) we struggled because the whistle goes away and the 10 gets let go and there is way more pressure on your halfs.

Luai can have a huge huge influence on the panthers...and even tho he may seem over confident i think he might need a little love from ciraldo and ivan and a bit of a push to get him really firing for us. Not one or 2 good plays a game but 80mins of domination like munster does.

Girds89

Bench
The flip side is though

Is it better to go at say 90% and have less errors or go at 100% and make more errors?
Literally half his errors tho were early in the year. Hes fixee up that part of his game in the last 7 or so weeks. Barely had any mistakes.

Stats are misleading at times and this is the perfect example.

Hes gone away and fixed up his ball security, stats wint reflect it over the season but hes been really good in that department lately

WestyLife

First Grade
Not saying anyone is but these things need to be put in to context though when discussing.

Granted he was poor in Origin. He was 4th choice centre for NSW, still very inexperienced and comfortable in the Penrith system he knows.

Would Staggs done better? I so no QLD had old heads in key areas of halves and centres and it showed.

Club side of things. He has played 68 games and has 58 wins. 1 draw from that.

37 tries. 20 try assist while being under 22. Will take way under Dolphins offer to stay at club so the overall picture is still good

It's just the last part of his development learning when to set his winger up, when to go full aggressive at the defence etc.

Pomoz

Bench
The flip side is though

Tago is in his first season so he will make more mistakes. Currently, he has more line breaks, try assists and tackle breaks. He also tackles at a higher efficiency percentage than Crichton. Crichton averages 145m per game, Tago 139m.

This isn't about saying Crichton is rubbish. This is about saying that he seems to laid back and doesn't realise what he is capable of. Holmes breaks the line and scores because he runs hard. We need more of that from Critter. He is a premium physical specimen, lets see him tap into his raw potential.

If it is true, that he has been measured as equal fastest in the NRL during a game, it is even more annoying that he can't break the line more and score more. That means he really is being lazy and doesn't use all his gifts.

Iamback

Coach
It's just the last part of his development learning when to set his winger up, when to go full aggressive at the defence etc.

Yes true but this is the 1st year of having an actual position and To'o has scored in last 4 games. So it is improving

Iamback

Coach
Literally half his errors tho were early in the year. Hes fixee up that part of his game in the last 7 or so weeks. Barely had any mistakes.

Stats are misleading at times and this is the perfect example.

Hes gone away and fixed up his ball security, stats wint reflect it over the season but hes been really good in that department lately

Bombed tries count as an error. So it is just a guide the left has more errors that is fact

Iamback

Coach
Tago is in his first season so he will make more mistakes. Currently, he has more line breaks, try assists and tackle breaks. He also tackles at a higher efficiency percentage than Crichton. Crichton averages 145m per game, Tago 139m.

This isn't about saying Crichton is rubbish. This is about saying that he seems to laid back and doesn't realise what he is capable of. Holmes breaks the line and scores because he runs hard. We need more of that from Critter. He is a premium physical specimen, lets see him tap into his raw potential.

If it is true, that he has been measured as equal fastest in the NRL during a game, it is even more annoying that he can't break the line more and score more. That means he really is being lazy and doesn't use all his gifts.

yes but the left is more settled too which helps. The right has been a struggle for years. Since the Whare/Simmo combination really.

Luai/Kikau has played every game which helps Tago having the class and combination inside him.

Whereas Cleary missed the start of the season and Martin doesn't offer much. So the defence isn't backpedalling as much as on the left.

Crichton last year was left centre, right centre, Right wing and fullback all whom need different things. Now he is playing on the same side week in week out he will improve.

Compare To'o numbers across the last month for example. Holmes more experienced, on higher wage and at peak age of course will have a better all round game.

All things considered Crichton is going well above average and still developing

Iamback

Coach
For the back half of the year id love to see a new determination from luai.

Just stop worrying about pumping up the boys or being a pest.

Focus on becoming the best 5/8 he can be. He is capable of brilliant stuff but goes missing or gets too worried about the niggle and loses focus.

Id just love to see him zip it and just be determined to own his own game and really take ownership of the team.

To often i think he sits back and sees blokes like nathan, api, yeo, kiks around him and he just takes the back seat.

I want to see him push nath or yeo out of the way at times and demand the ball.. i want to see him doing is grubbers again in goal for 6 agains.
Just see him own the game.

Weve seen at times what he is capable of. He can really turn a game on his head. His running game can be up there with the best in the gamez same with his short grubbers.

But we just see him take the back seat to often. Whens the last time we saw him even try a 40/20?? He is more than capable of it... again i think he just sees the quality of players around him and seems to become a bit of a passenger..

If we can get to the point where he is as confident as nath is in terms of running and kicking game than our team will go to a whole new level.

Hes just one of those guys that i think doesnt quite realise how good he could be. Ive got no doubt he (and the others) will be hurting. I just hope ivan or ciraldo pulls him aside over the next few days and just tell him to own his game for the back half of the year. They should be telling him to be better than munster every week. Have 10 or 15 runs a game. Dont let nath do all the directing and demand the ball at times when he sees its on.

It was all a bit to one dimensional in origin with everything running through nath api and yeo.

In the finals last year (yes we were injured) we struggled because the whistle goes away and the 10 gets let go and there is way more pressure on your halfs.

Luai can have a huge huge influence on the panthers...and even tho he may seem over confident i think he might need a little love from ciraldo and ivan and a bit of a push to get him really firing for us. Not one or 2 good plays a game but 80mins of domination like munster does.

So who is the clubs pest then?

Every team needs one or several given teams try to use mental stuff

Every team needs one and Luai has some great numbers while being a pest. No need to chang