What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured & Confirmed Signings - Part 5

The news is true. Big Moses is a done deal.
Further to that. The club is on a mission to get Edwards, Luai and Martin (preferably done) in the next few months. I think Edwards talks are well-advanced. They are trying to avoid having any of the 3 free agents come Nov 1. The club won't be paying overs.
The club also is trying to extend Sorro despite interest elsewhere. Also looking at external backrow options.
Did we receive compensation for Taylah May being injuries?

Munky

Coach
Leota is a weird one.

Goes from plod one week to absolutely owning a decent pack in a grand final.

Hopefully he keeps raising his floor while keeping the ceiling. His GF opening stint was the best I've seen from an individual forward so he can't get much better.

maple_69

Bench
Jesus those Henry numbers are monstrous as well. Bloke might not be a Sorro/Leniu replacement but he clearly has a monster motor on him. I can definitely see Fish/Leota running smaller minutes and just being able to go for broke with Smith/Henry the likely next up in the middle and being more volume guys.

Kilkenny

Coach
Jack Cole was solid on the weekend, the stats maybe make his game sound better than it actually was. His try assist was passing the ball to Jenkins who did well to beat two-three defenders to score. It really wasn’t a try assist. I think there is probably 4/5 contenders to replace Crichton.

The NSW Cup side were a bit disappointing I thought. Particularly in the second half where we coughed up possession on 1st or 2nd tackle on numerous occasions. No real standout performers, Liam Henry was pretty good, played big minutes. Sommerton scored a try and had a good line break. Came off with right shoulder injury in 2nd half and didn’t return.

Jersey Flegg we’re comfortable in victory, like NSW Cup there was no real standouts, Connor Mason was really busy I like the look of Peter Taateo he looks a decent prospect.

Pomoz

Bench
Leota is a weird one.

Goes from plod one week to absolutely owning a decent pack in a grand final.

Hopefully he keeps raising his floor while keeping the ceiling. His GF opening stint was the best I've seen from an individual forward so he can't get much better.
I know what you mean. He has a streak of toughness in him that even JFH doesn't have. If he decides to unleash his inner "Beast", he is next level and as good as any prop in the game.

When he leaves the "Beast" at home in the cupboard he is good for a penalty, a dropped ball and anaemic metres. The type of performance that made me say in a prior post, "the only way he could run 150m is if he was strapped to Spencer Leniu's back".

To be fair, he leaves the "Beast" in the cupboard a lot less often these days.

GowersDallyM

Juniors
Interesting. That will take him to 32 towards the end of his contract. He's getting better every year and I'd say this contract will be his prime years if true. We're no doubt investing a fair bit in our middles but its been the foundation of our whole game so I don't mind it. Probably means we are running on kids & project journeyman on the edges which seems to be working for us.

Surely Edwards & Luai are the next big decision.
Bit of a curve ball would be Luai wanting to test the market..you just have to look at the Moses and now Wightons (4.4mill over 4 years) offers, Luai could be smart and cash in right now as a back to back prem winner and Nsw 5/8 (he will lose the spot the Hynes or Burton this year) but he could get offers around 900k year maybe 1mill to a desperate club.

Luai imo isn't worth the coin not when you can manufacture someone like Cogger to play a similar style to Luai and that's just run the ball with virtually no kicking game and no ability to get set restarts..Luai should be the next to go and with that the club could buy a gun hooker....especially a hooker that is hungry for a premiership at a lack luster club.

GowersDallyM

Juniors
The hooker I'd look at would be Tom Starling from Raiders as he is coming off contract..He does have a player option but he has Zac Woolford pretty much ahead of him. Starling is a better version of Kenny and has good spark but he does pass the ball alot better than Kenny and is a good defender. Could snag him fairly cheaply as is.

Bit of a curve ball would be Luai wanting to test the market..you just have to look at the Moses and now Wightons (4.4mill over 4 years) offers, Luai could be smart and cash in right now as a back to back prem winner and Nsw 5/8 (he will lose the spot the Hynes or Burton this year) but he could get offers around 900k year maybe 1mill to a desperate club.

Luai imo isn't worth the coin not when you can manufacture someone like Cogger to play a similar style to Luai and that's just run the ball with virtually no kicking game and no ability to get set restarts..Luai should be the next to go and with that the club could buy a gun hooker....especially a hooker that is hungry for a premiership at a lack luster club.
Or Jack Cole

betcats

Referee
I dont think Starling is a realistic option. He is their main hooker, he doesnt start but I think Ricky does that cause he doesnt want him doing to much tackling early on like what we did with Api at times.

Hooked

Juniors
Still chasing Wilton.

Panthers chase Wilton

The rumours that Penrith are interested in signing impressive Cronulla second-rower Teig Wilton won’t go away. The 23-year-old is off-contract at the end of the season and would obviously form a formidable second-row partnership with Liam Martin if he did come to the club. There’s no doubt the Sharks would like to keep him but he’s likely to command big dollars.

maple_69

Bench
Luai is surely the most replaceable of our core so I could see him moving on if he asks for a payday although he has been very loyal in the past. Cole didn’t sign long term without a role in first grade on offer.

I also wonder how much of an impact it has on this squads mentality though. Luai doesn’t get much credit for it be he is undoubtedly our spark-plug and losing a key personality guy could really impact the insane squad chemistry we have.

Exsilium

Coach
Still chasing Wilton.

Panthers chase Wilton

The rumours that Penrith are interested in signing impressive Cronulla second-rower Teig Wilton won’t go away. The 23-year-old is off-contract at the end of the season and would obviously form a formidable second-row partnership with Liam Martin if he did come to the club. There’s no doubt the Sharks would like to keep him but he’s likely to command big dollars.

Nice. Solid player. Knows how to find the try line.