What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured & Confirmed Signings - Part 5

Iamback

Coach
What, you think we are going to run with 2 game managing 7’s….. when we have the best in the world…

I think we will want our 6 to kick more, especially if Nathan is doing more in attack.

If he is caught with the ball on the 4th. We haven't got a hooker or a FB that can kick to end the set well.

So Nathan will still do 90% of the game management but a 6 that can play eyes up footy and kick to the corners. The role Cogger played was perfect just someone with a bit more speed

Iamback

Coach
Because he's so flexible and can provide some impact.
Depending on the opposition we should also consider spliting up Fish and Leota. The drop in intensity when both go off is massive.

Smith can ball play too. So if we can get him using that then Moses coming on to bash guys

soc123_au

Staff member
We got rolled many times last year??
In periods when Fish & Leota were off we did. Getting rolled doesn't mean we lost, but we were noticeably worse off in the battle for field position. Nathans kicking was all that bailed us out on a few occasions.

Luke Bowden

First Grade
I think we will want our 6 to kick more, especially if Nathan is doing more in attack.

If he is caught with the ball on the 4th. We haven't got a hooker or a FB that can kick to end the set well.

So Nathan will still do 90% of the game management but a 6 that can play eyes up footy and kick to the corners. The role Cogger played was perfect just someone with a bit more speed
Cogger is a very different player to Brad Schneider. Cogger is a very capable 6 who has played a lot of football with Nathan over the years.

I’d be extremely surprised if Schneider was able to slot in like that.

Cole or Laurie is where I think Ivan will be looking. They both offer a second point of attack which js really important with out set up. Brad Schneider doesn’t really, he needs to sit inside one.

maple_69

Bench
The other thing I think we should be playing with is Yeo’s role. He’s a phenomenal lock, Id say the clear best forward in the game, and fits our structure nicely. As with Origin though, he’s a big part of the rigid, grindy attacking style that sometimes stalls us. If we’re considering evolving the way our halves link up, I’d also like to see Yeo/Smith swap a bit as that first receiver with Smith potentially able to bring something a bit different to that role for a spell. We saw the Murray/Yeo tandem work nicely in Origin 3 and Yeo playing a more run first role during that middle 40 could help us up front while Fish/Leota are off.

Same with the rest of these options, it’s not something that should be a wholesale change, just a change up we can pull out at times to keep sides guessing a bit.

Luke Bowden

First Grade
In periods when Fish & Leota were off we did. Getting rolled doesn't mean we lost, but we were noticeably worse off in the battle for field position. Nathans kicking was all that bailed us out on a few occasions.
They are the best front row pairing in the game, they just rolled the Kanagroos, of course we will be weaker with them off the field. There is nothing we can do to change that, we just need to pick players that will hold the line while they are being spelled.

Aliceinwonderland

First Grade
Cogger is a very different player to Brad Schneider. Cogger is a very capable 6 who has played a lot of football with Nathan over the years.

Cole or Laurie is where I think Ivan will be looking. They both offer a second point of attack which js really important with out set up. Brad Schneider doesn’t really, he needs to sit inside one.

From what I've seen of Laurie at 6, he's got the makings of a pretty good running 5/8th. Can find a hole too.

Also noticed about the W/T photoshopping a W/T jersey unto Luai to mark is signing, shows a distinct lack of class and respect. Especially when there fans applauded it loudly.

It makes all the carryon about Ivan breaking his contract with W/T to re join Penrith a mere tissue of lies........All the wailing that we still hear today almost 6 years after the event.

Iamback

Coach

I think Cole but we have Schneider locked up for next year, I think he will be 6 in some training sessions

Pantherjim.

Referee
Don’t stress about Cehtre, we have 3 really good options.

2025 No.6 is the only real worry moving forward.

TBH, I’m more worried about the vacancy that Critta leaves this year than replacing Jarome next season.

Critta is the best RL centre on planet earth, and his absence will be felt, especially in the opening rounds of the comp this year given our draw and the teams we’re up against. I’m not even expecting much from us in the first few rounds to be honest. It will take some time for whoever is replacing Critta to find form and the opposing teams are also going to exploit that.

We still have Jarome this season, and hence plenty of time to blood a new 5/8th for 2025.

Abacus

Juniors
Without Spencer are might get rolled by better sides when Fish and Leota go off together. Happened many times last year even with him.
Not to knock an ex-player, but Spencer's strength certainly was not locking up the middle for the grind. He seems to get caught behind the PTB more than the others leaving the defensive line susceptible the following couple of rucks.

Luke Bowden

First Grade
TBH, I’m more worried about the vacancy that Critta leaves this year than replacing Jarome next season.

Critta is the best RL centre on planet earth, and his absence will be felt, especially in the opening rounds of the comp this year given our draw and the teams were up against. I’m not even expecting much from us in the first few rounds to be honest. It will take some time for whoever is replacing Critta to find form and the opposing teams are also going to exploit that.

We still have Jarome this season, and hence plenty of time to blood a new 5/8th for 2025.
Centres aren’t important in our set up. I’m confident we could win the comp with Garner in centres.

Luke Bowden

First Grade
Nah, you’ve lost me….

“Centres aren’t important in our set up” and yet it was Stephen Crichton who scored tries, (including a crucial, match-winner in the 2021 GF) in our last 3 Grand Final victories?
ehhh what? The f**k you talking about ? It was important when we had T-May in the centres in 2020 GF, it was important in every GF from 21-23 when we had Crichton..
You are both talking about single games, if you look across the entire season, you’ll see that we can easily replace centres.

Critta is a freak athlete who makes plays, but players like that do it from anywhere on the field are a bonus, not a “must have”.

Our team will never pay big bucks for a centre and we’ll probably go through a few in the coming years.

Latest posts