What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured signing

The Popper

Bench
We've gotta try something. Currently our backs show nothing. At his best, this bloke can display a kicking game equiv. A. Johns.

Frenzy.

Post Whore
I like this signing. I like Tim Smith as a player.

Still does perplex me though that we get rid of bad boys and then sign more bad boys.

Oh well

ratsack2

Juniors
exactly Frenz, although I am hapy about signing him, but would also be better with Bird at 5/8.

Ok get over it Raty, move on, 2008 we were no chance even if he had played.

carcharias

Immortal
the dude can play...he is pretty elusive.

a bit mad as in kicking across field in his own half but can play.

Peach used to give me heart attacks...I miss the great peach.

Coaster

Bench
This could turn your whole season around, congrats, i hope you guys get him, he is wasted in QCup

Coaster

Bench
After watching the Storm game, i seriously do not think you have to worry about Defense.

Your fowards were as tough as they get, i was surprised one of the didnt have a go at your backs effort to control the ball.

Smith can throw a cut out pass, meaning your outside backs might see the ball for a change, great stuff, i would nearly have you in my 8 for this signing, i really rate the kid

webShark

Makes me wonder why we didnt make a play for Willie Mason if Tim Smith is considered acceptable!!! Smith may be better than what we have (not hard). But surely Mason would have been better than Millington and/or Cordoba/Broderick Wright.

To be honest, I never rated Smith that much. Even Jeff Robson can shine at Parra and would you take him ?

IMO , we need someone with evasive skills in the backs. Smith would appear to be a slightly better version of SFP with bad history.

From all accounts he has made a dick of himself at Northies a few times, so lets see if we have the new Tim Smith or not. Why the hell didnt we go for Todd Carney mystifies me. I thought we had a no bad boys unwritten rule. I was wrong. Maybe we are as broke as others would have us believe.

DJDL

First Grade
Makes me wonder why we didnt make a play for Willie Mason if Tim Smith is considered acceptable!!! Smith may be better than what we have (not hard). But surely Mason would have been better than Millington and/or Cordoba/Broderick Wright.

To be honest, I never rated Smith that much. Even Jeff Robson can shine at Parra and would you take him ?

IMO , we need someone with evasive skills in the backs. Smith would appear to be a slightly better version of SFP with bad history.

From all accounts he has made a dick of himself at Northies a few times, so lets see if we have the new Tim Smith or not. Why the hell didnt we go for Todd Carney mystifies me. I thought we had a no bad boys unwritten rule. I was wrong. Maybe we are as broke as others would have us believe.

Different kettle of fish altogether IMHO. Carney is a serial offender. Smith was just an impressionable kid being led astray by piggy Riddell.

From what I hear he idolises Baz as something of an older brother/father figure and Baz has helped him grow up a lot. Should be a good environment for him.

As to why we are signing him now and not over the offseason or earlier, did anyone stop to think that maybe Sticky wanted to sign him but was overruled by the board. Two weeks in and it is glaringly obvious to anyone who cares to look that we have nothing in the halves. Maybe he finally got his way.

Inferno

Coach
I like this signing. I like Tim Smith as a player.

Still does perplex me though that we get rid of bad boys and then sign more bad boys.

Oh well

Mate it's fuggen ridiculous and something that's been happening for years.

In recent times

Latu - sacked by previous club and sacked by us
Seymour - sacked by previous club and sacked by us
Reni - sacked by previous club and sacked by us
Misi - sacked by previous club and hired by us
Bronx Goodwin - sacked by previous club and hired by us
Seu Seu - sacked by previousl club and signed by us.
Smith - sacked by previous club and signed with us
Waqa - sacked(or let go) by previous club and signed by us

Fairly sh*t record so far IMO.

Weaponhead

Coach
Great signing. Smith is a genuine ball player with vision. Not many of those in the game now. Hopegully he has grown up and can concentrate on footy.

This will free up Barrett and Kelly to play a running game making them far more dangerous. Smith has a good long and short passing game. Can't wait to see Ferguson on the end of some Smith cut outs. Our ball movement will improve massively.

Would love to see him play on MOnday night. Has played with Barrett before and we need a boost to break the negativity. Roll the dice Sticky and lets get the shackles off and play some footy.

fizman

Bench
I understand that there is confusion regarding which players the club has sacked and the new players with a poor history we have signed.

Please correct me if I am wrong here, but the current Board has not sacked any player since it has been elected?

If this is correct, the current administration should have the freedom to pursue and sign whoever they wish without malice.

My understanding is that the Sharks as a club have learnt through the previous Boards mistakes and one of those is that we will not pull the trigger too early.

Whilst there is the valid discussion as to why we didn't chase Bird back to the club, in my opinion the decision on player signings to this point is pretty black and white.

azzah72

Bench
Cronulla negotiating release with Brisbane Easts for Tim Smith
By David Beniuk
March 26, 2010
Cronulla are hopeful of signing former Parramatta star Tim Smith despite their offer being "withheld" while his Queensland club plays hard-ball.

Sharks chief executive Richard Fisk says a long-term offer was made to Smith but the Brisbane Easts club are standing in the way of the former Dally M rookie of the year heading south.

The talented halfback was registered with both the Brisbane Broncos and the Easts Tigers for 2010 and, while the Broncos have cleared him, the Queensland Cup side is yet to follow suit.

"Brisbane Easts have stalled it, they didn't want to clear him and (Smith's manager) David Riolo is discussing it with Brisbane Easts,'' Fisk said.

"In the meantime we've withheld our offer, not withdrawn it, just withheld it until he gets clearance from Brisbane Easts.

"It's out of our hands and I just hope common sense prevails. It's a great opportunity for the kid.''

A compensation package for the Broncos' feeder club is at the centre of negotiations but Fisk did not wish to put a figure on their asking price.

"I don't want to speculate on what their requests are but we're working through it,'' he said.

Cronulla are attempting to turn around a horror year on and off the field, but are unconcerned by Smith's history.

He was suspended by Parramatta in 2007 following several alcohol-related incidents and quit the NRL early in 2008 after announcing he suffered from bipolar disorder.

"Every comment about Tim has been fantastic and he's passed every test with flying colours,'' Fisk said.

"Let's remember the kid's got bipolar disorder and he's got medication for it and now he's OK.

"I think it's great to give someone like that another chance.''

The 25-year-old headed to Wigan, where current Sharks captain Trent Barrett was then playing, to escape the pressure of the Sydney rugby league fishbowl and Barrett has given him a glowing reference.

"Trent was very positive in his comments,'' Fisk said.

Smith returned from Wigan this season hoping to win back a place in the NRL with the Broncos.

His signature would be a massive boost for the Sharks, who have lost a club-record 12 straight NRL games and struggled to find a quality halfback since the departure of Brett Kimmorley at the end of 2008.

Their No.7 in 2009, Brett Seymour, was sacked last year after a series of alcohol-related off-field indiscretions and has joined the Warriors.

Cronulla dropped Scott Porter and named journeyman John Morris at halfback for Monday's match against South Sydney.

Cronulla dropped Scott Porter and named journeyman John Morris at halfback for the match against the Rabbitohs.

Plastered

Juniors
Roll the dice Sticky and lets get the shackles off and play some footy.

That'd make a nice change...

Feel a bit sorry for Josh Lewis though, I reckon he has heaps of talent, is an attacking half and could've been worth a try as well. I guess he's 4th in the pecking order now.

Anyway let's hope it happens.

Inferno

Coach
I understand that there is confusion regarding which players the club has sacked and the new players with a poor history we have signed.

Please correct me if I am wrong here, but the current Board has not sacked any player since it has been elected?

If this is correct, the current administration should have the freedom to pursue and sign whoever they wish without malice.

My understanding is that the Sharks as a club have learnt through the previous Boards mistakes and one of those is that we will not pull the trigger too early.

Whilst there is the valid discussion as to why we didn't chase Bird back to the club, in my opinion the decision on player signings to this point is pretty black and white.

They were happy to fine Gallen 10 grand for a misdemeanor.

Was Seymour sacked under the new board or old?

Inferno

Coach

They were happy to fine Gallen 10 grand for a misdemeanor.

Was Seymour sacked under the new board or old?

Latest posts