What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured Signings - 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.

griffo346

First Grade
O'Halloran hassnt played much first grade since coming back from uk so i dont know why penrith signed him in the first place

KeepingTheFaith

Referee
Ian Henderson has been exceptional since returning from the ESL.

There's definately some ignorance surrounding former NRL players who go to the ESL, especially when they're young or not established first graders. I think some people don't realise that the continue to develop as people and players in the ESL and return to the NRL alot better than when they left regardless of how small or big the gap between the competitions are.

TITAN1

Juniors
Cronulla Leagues Club-Greg Bird.
Apparently his job is to go around and pick up all the empty glasses.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
I heard somewhere that Todd Carney was off to Huddersfield. Not sure if this has been confirmed yet or not though.

Ryan

Juniors
Luke Williamson - UK
Jack Afamasaga - UK
Mark Bryant - UK
Steve Bell (as we all know UK)
Steve Menzies - UK

From Eagles official website:-
STEVE MENZIES FUNCTION FRIDAY
It will also provide an excellent opportunity for fans to say goodbye to other players who are leaving us at the end of the season including Luke Williamson, Mark Bryant, Steve Bell and Jack Afamasaga.

To Manly:-

1. Trent Hodgkinson (Parramatta jnr 1/2 back)
2. Tony Williams (Parramatta jnr centre / winger)
3. Chris Bailey (Utility Knewcastle Knights)
4. Shane Rodney (Backrower Penrith Panthers)
5. Tim Mortimer (Utility Parramatta jnr)
6. Todd Carney 2010 (Canberra and maybe Wigan / Huddersfield 1/2 back)

We all know about Hodgkinson, Williams and Bailey...but some notes about the others:-

Persona non grata: Sharks wipe Bird from club website
Glenn Jackson | August 28, 2008

Elsewhere, Penrith are set to lose the fifth member of their 2003 premiership-winning side in the space of months, with back-rower Shane Rodney close to signing with Manly.

The Sea Eagles have offered Rodney a four-year deal - remarkable considering he has played just 16 matches in the past three seasons due to shoulder and neck problems.

Rodney attracted interest from the Bulldogs and St George Illawarra, who both offered three-year deals, but the extra season has swayed the 25-year-old. The deal is believed to be heavily back-ended, with Rodney earning most of his money in the third and fourth years.

Rodney's decision would be another blow to the Bulldogs, who had hoped he would fill a back-row spot vacated by Sonny Bill Williams. The club has already missed out on Brisbane's State of Origin winger Darius Boyd, who will join the Dragons, since Williams fled the club for Toulon.

A Parra fan called 2SM's Talkin Sport program today complaining about Parra losing all their good young players and not signing anyone new. He said that Manly had signed Tony Williams and Tim Mortimer. Williams I knew about... but Mortimer?

Just passing on something I heard on the radio this morning, which I'm surprised no-one's mentioned:

The newsreader said that yet another off-field incident had given the NRL an even worse name. He referred to Bird's case and went on about Todd Carney. Then he said that Carney had signed or was about to sign a 1 year deal with Huddersfield "and in 2010 will most likely be playing for Manly". This was news to me!

butch82

Juniors
any player that comes off contract r always linked with manly...n they have a sucess in gettn their man..... how they can keep on gettn quality players n stay under the salary cap is beyond me.......

The Colonel

Immortal
A Parra fan called 2SM's Talkin Sport program today complaining about Parra losing all their good young players and not signing anyone new. He said that Manly had signed Tony Williams and Tim Mortimer. Williams I knew about... but Mortimer?

:lol:

Daniel Mortimer signed with the Eels until 2010 last year. Tim Mortimer came from Belrose/Eagles reggies mid-season this year and is playing at Wentworthville Magpies at fullback and should pick up a new deal for next year on present performances - unless Uncle Noel has been fishing around Eels stocks again.

James Mortimer, unless he has been cut this season as well, is still at Belrose/Manly NSW Cup.

I think someone has confused Trent Hodkinson with Daniel.

Ryan

Juniors
Dude, and these are purely guesses here:-
Loss: Afamasaga $70k
Loss: Willow $120k
Loss: Bell $220k
Loss: Beaver $250k
TOTAL MONEY IN BANK: $660k (VERY conservatively)

Gain: Trent Hodgkinson NYC contract - NIL
Gain: Tony Williams $150k according to some
3. Chris Bailey $150k
4. Shane Rodney $150k (at MOST)
5. Tim Mortimer $50k (minimum PL contract)
TOTAL SPENT: $500k

Money left would be used to upgrade Ballin.
Orford's last year payment was substantially less than the middle 2. MORE CAP space.

We are good IMO mate.

Status
Not open for further replies.