What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured Signings - 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.

mxlegend99

Referee
Broncos couldn't afford Clinton AND Ryles.

Not unless they are getting rid of their current unsigned players.

icewind

Juniors
Clinton to the broncs. Ryles is overrated. Clinton is 2 years younger, and has some mongrel about him, which will be good for when Caroll goes eventually.

Clinton & Wallace to the Broncs.

mxlegend99

Referee
If we re-sign Clinton and also get Broncos Harrison ontop of him, we wil have a killer forward pack. Tony Puletua is the only player i'd get rid of from it :)

Just need to get our halves sorted out for next year. I'd love a Wallace/Burns combination which is what Elliott is wanting. I just can't see Burns choosing us over Cowboys, when he would partner Thurston.

Pedro Collins

Juniors
Horse trading 'destabilising game'
Phil Lutton | May 31, 2007 - 12:35PM

For the second time in a week, Brisbane coach Wayne Bennett has some soothing words for embattled Knights mentor Brian Smith.

Following the Broncos spiflication of a a second-string Knights in a record 71-6 romp at Suncorp Stadium on Sunday, Bennett said he was sympathetic to his rival coach despite his club showing no mercy on the field.

This morning, Bennett again unfurled a congenial hand to Smith, who has been criticised for his mid-season, post-Johns fire sale at the Knights which has resulted in Clint Newton (Storm) and Adam Woolnough (Panthers) already leaving and eight further top graders being told they're surplus to requirements next year.

Brisbane is having its own contractual problems, with Brent Tate joining the Warriors yesterday and Shaun Berrigan tipped to take up a lucrative UK Super League offer next year.

Bennett said the unprecedented mid-year horse trading was destabilising the competition and that Smith may have been forced to take affirmative action at the Knights or risk watching all the quality players on the market be gobbled up by rivals.

"I think it's affecting the competition. It's very very difficult coaching week-in, week-out in this very tough competition without all the other factors which are very destabilising in your club," Bennett said.

"I think Newcastle is a very good example of what's happening there. The issue there is not whether they're right or wrong with what they're doing, the issue is if they don't do it now, when the end of the season comes along, you're the only one with no players because they've all been recruited and all gone somewhere else."

And while Bennett certainly hasn't endorsed the no-holds-barred poaching that is seeing players swap clubs at record pace, Brisbane is still dipping its toes in the water, securing Penrith youngster Peter Wallace as a tonic to its halfback problems and likely to sign fellow Panther Joel Clinton, a hard-running prop.

Bennett had asked for his players to keep their contract negotiations off the table until after Friday night's match against the Dragons, but with Tate revealing his plans yesterday, the futures of Berrigan and centre Justin Hodges will be under heavy scrutiny during ensuing break for the bye.

When asked if he was confident the club could retain most of their off-contract stars, Bennett replied with a simple: "No."

Bennett also gave his blessing to the departing Tate, who he said had been a loyal servant to a club he joined as a fresh-faced 19-year-old.

Bennett said the change of scene and the chance to hold down a permanent spot in the centres were driving factor's in Tate's decision to join the Warriors on a three-year deal worth $400,000 a season.

"He's been wonderful. He's been a great competitor here and done an excellent job. On one hand, I don't like to lose them, but on the other hand I was pleased for him because some guys need a change and I think we both agreed that he needed one. It's very timely for him," Bennett said.

Brisbane start heavy favourites against a Dragons side decimated by injury and will field an unchanged line-up to the one that hammered Newcastle.

Ben Hannant retains his place in the starting side while backrower Sam Thaiday, who is recovering from a fractured eye socket, will have the weekend off as he's unable to travel to Townsville with feeder club Aspley.

Michael Ennis gets his second chance to impress at halfback after a solid display against the Knights.

Brisbane Times
http://www.leaguehq.com.au/news/news/horse-trading-bad-for-game/2007/05/31/1180205399757.html

Does this mean the Broncos have definately signed Wallace? I don't want to put it in the confirmed signings yet but the way I read that they say it has been done.

Big Pete

Referee
Joel Moon and Darius Boyd have apparantly signed with the Broncos. Reported on Channel 7 I don't have an official source just yet.

Petero is set to stay in Brisbane for 2 more seasons and Hodges is likely to stay with the Broncos.

Big Pete

Referee
Peter Wallace and Joel Clinton have apparantly signed with the Broncos according to both Triple M and B105.

I'm happy. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts