What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured Signings - 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.

NGR

Juniors
skeepe said:
Because they are. For all the hypocritical talk of junior development, they just go after marquee players. There's nothing wrong with that, but be upfront about it.

You already have more marquee players than a lot of clubs. The only clubs you're striving to be "on par" with now, are the ones who have bought premierships before, such as the Roosters.

No. It's exactly the same thing.

Yes. But then again, why do you care? If it brings you success, does it really matter how it was achieved?

we wanted wing back, OUR junior. if we were able to keep our juniors we wouldnt need to try and buy a marquee now would we. But we lost a lot of them due to inept management. We got Asotasi, so far he is the only player anyone seems to rate from souths as a genuine gamebreaker or marquee so we need to catch up... Or has everyone suddenly changed there tune because we are becoming a team you cant turn up get an easy 2 points from anymore...

oh the hypocracy

NGR said:
we wanted wing back, OUR junior. if we were able to keep our juniors we wouldnt need to try and buy a marquee now would we. But we lost a lot of them due to inept management. We got Asotasi, so far he is the only player anyone seems to rate from souths as a genuine gamebreaker or marquee so we need to catch up... Or has everyone suddenly changed there tune because we are becoming a team you cant turn up get an easy 2 points from anymore...

oh the hypocracy

Kidwell is a game breaker
Widders can be too

why is it that the tigers always have trouble signing great players yet roosters and souths seem too sign them just like that :x

The only difference is that when other clubs sign a player, they are buying a comp, eg: Roosters and Manly.

However, when Souths buy a player they are filling a void, or doing "what's best for the club".

It is funny that Souths fans hammer Politis for his money, but Kiwi Rusty and the WA businessman are off limits to criticism, they are just doing "what's best for the club".,

Imagine if Kiwi Rusty and the WA businessman didn't own Souths and some other Hollywood star took over the Roosters, imagine the whining and whinging, just imagine it.

Do not get me wrong, I believe that RC and PHAC are doing a great job trying to repair many years of neglect and they are heading in the right direction, but please remember to all of us non Souths fans, you are just another club, we all dislike Souths as much as we dislike the other clubs that try and take our 2 points each week.

but when you carry on like you are more important than all other clubs and that what you do is somehow different to what other clubs do, of course we will speak up.

You are just another club in the NRL who buys players to better their team just like every other team.

Thanks....

Y2Eel

First Grade
NGR said:
ok 1 marquee until we are back up to scratch with everyone else... so probably 2009 would be the last year we get someone, hopefully by then our mix of juniors should mean we need the money to keep other players coming through.

To get back with Everyone Else WTF how many marquee players do the Raiders sign every year? the tigers? Parra...

Also to be fair the Roosters didnt buy Marquee players that often they stole young players coming up in the ranks from other clubs...

Y2Eel

First Grade
joel caine number 1 fan said:
Kidwell is a game breaker
Widders can be too

why is it that the tigers always have trouble signing great players yet roosters and souths seem too sign them just like that :x

Not enough Brown paper bags at the Tigers ;-)

After years of doing sh!t all and running last, finally we have a bit of money and some pulling power to attract a few decent players and everyone wants to accuse us of being the Roosters. If you look back over the past ten years, the Roosters have consistently purchased the top one or two players on the open market. Souths have purchased Roy Asotasi, (probably the best on the market last year) and Craig Wing, (probably in the top five for this year). Other than that we picked up Vagana, (past his prime, the Sharks were dying to get rid of him) Kidwell, (good footballer but probably on his last contract before going to the ESL) Widders (a good bench player, but no better than that). We made an offer for Jarryd Hayne and were rejected and we got knocked back for Lote as well (Thank God). In the past few years the Roosters have bought Anasta (Australian Rep at the time) O'Meley (Australian Rep 12 months ago), Mason (Australian Rep), Myles (QLD Origin) and thats just to name a few.
Sure the Tigers and Canberra have hardly purchased anyone, but they have certainly been in the market. Difference is that they have management as farked up as South's was a few years ago. Truth is they have to pay overs to get someone good and they would rather just focus on development. Good for them. I still don't see the issue in us making an offer for a player who is on the market. Other clubs do it as well, but whenever we make an offer it seems to make front page of the papers. We weren't the only club in the running for Hayne but it certainly seemed like it.

imasharkie

Coach
I thought this was the rumoured signings site.

Maybe a Souths v Easts site should be opened and then the other 95% of the forum can ignore that site and let them fight it out between themselves. This bickering between the fans is gone beyond a joke, every thread started ends up being a souths v easts beat up.
I'm fuggin over their shyte

crouching_tiger

Juniors
imasharkie said:
I thought this was the rumoured signings site.

Maybe a Souths v Easts site should be opened and then the other 95% of the forum can ignore that site and let them fight it out between themselves. This bickering between the fans is gone beyond a joke, every thread started ends up being a souths v easts beat up.
I'm fuggin over their shyte

You still angry over losing Tevez?

D

Deleted member 10972

Different kind of Rabbit said:
After years of doing sh!t all and running last, finally we have a bit of money and some pulling power to attract a few decent players and everyone wants to accuse us of being the Roosters. If you look back over the past ten years, the Roosters have consistently purchased the top one or two players on the open market. Souths have purchased Roy Asotasi, (probably the best on the market last year) and Craig Wing, (probably in the top five for this year). Other than that we picked up Vagana, (past his prime, the Sharks were dying to get rid of him) Kidwell, (good footballer but probably on his last contract before going to the ESL) Widders (a good bench player, but no better than that). We made an offer for Jarryd Hayne and were rejected and we got knocked back for Lote as well (Thank God). In the past few years the Roosters have bought Anasta (Australian Rep at the time) O'Meley (Australian Rep 12 months ago), Mason (Australian Rep), Myles (QLD Origin) and thats just to name a few.
Sure the Tigers and Canberra have hardly purchased anyone, but they have certainly been in the market. Difference is that they have management as farked up as South's was a few years ago. Truth is they have to pay overs to get someone good and they would rather just focus on development. Good for them. I still don't see the issue in us making an offer for a player who is on the market. Other clubs do it as well, but whenever we make an offer it seems to make front page of the papers. We weren't the only club in the running for Hayne but it certainly seemed like it.

Who did Roosters sign in 2000? Luke Phillips, nomad who couldn't crack FG consistently. Craig Fitzgibbon, St George benchie. And Craig Wing, from a team that crashed and burned, young & VERY raw still.

2001? Adrian Morley, relatively big name but first major ESL signing, still yound huge risk. Paul Green...lol.

2002? Brett Mullins, already considered washed up in ESL. Justin Hodges, reserve grade at Broncos. Jason Cayless, reserve grade at Eels. Chad Robinson, reserve grade at Eels. David Kidwell, from Warrington, out of form. Eric Grothe, reserve grade at Eels.

2003? Brett Finch, first big name signing as an established FGer. Chris Walker, Souths reject. Ned Catic, Penrith reserve grader. Todd Payten, struggling for form at Raiders. Stuart Webb, Magpies reserve grade.

2004? No-one of note.

2005? Amos Roberts, direct replacement for Shannon Hegarty. Joel Monaghan, direct replacement for Justin Hodges. Richard Fa'aoso, Penrith reserve grade. Brett Firman, Dragons reserve grade. Shane Shackleton, Dragons reserve grade.

That is 6 seasons, and the only somewhat big name players are Roberts (barely any rep experience), Monaghan (no rep experience), Mullins (stopgap) and Walker. It was only in 2006 that Roosters signed Anasta & Harrison on big money. 2007...Roosters signed Myles, Nutley & Beattie. Yeh...major signings there :roll:.

Last 10 years ay? lol.

Y2Eel

First Grade
Justin Hodges/ Jason Cayless were First Graders at their various clubs...
Eric Grothe Was Just hitting the scene made the SOO side but pulle dout due to injurey.. Chris Walker Left the Rabbits and was in form...

Joel Monaghan, direct replacement for Justin Hodges Thats a joke Justins 100x better...

lewiscook

Juniors
benji marshall>>>warriors....

not sure how reliable this rumour is but.....
it has been lurking around, thats the reason why i think he hasn't resigned with the tigers...
the officials at the warriors i think have told him to prove himself worthy of a big deal...

but thats what i think.....
your thoughts???

Shaun Hewitt

First Grade
Where are the sources on the Benji Matter

And can we remove the Souths/Roosters arguement from here please, this is SUPPOSED to be for RUMOURED SIGNINGS not inter-club banter.

dio

Juniors
DeGenerationXnWo said:
Where are the sources on the Benji Matter

And can we remove the Souths/Roosters arguement from here please, this is SUPPOSED to be for RUMOURED SIGNINGS not inter-club banter.

Iafeta

Referee
lewiscook said:
benji marshall>>>warriors....

not sure how reliable this rumour is but.....
it has been lurking around, thats the reason why i think he hasn't resigned with the tigers...
the officials at the warriors i think have told him to prove himself worthy of a big deal...

but thats what i think.....
your thoughts???

:lol: Must be April Fools day. We need a half who can kick frankly.

Status
Not open for further replies.