What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured Signings - 2011/12

Status
Not open for further replies.

Big Mick

Referee
I'll take Herbert and Thompson.

Both would be NSW Cup players and if called upon wouldn't be terrible.

We don't have a genuine halfback back up for next year...Don't see the problem with Herbert if Walsh gets injured.

And Thompson is a handy workhorse prop if we get an injury to our top 4 props taking over the Frank Puletua role.

IMO
Marc Herbert--> Craig Trindell
Troy Thompson --> Frank Puletua

Upgrades at both positions.

Newc or Dogs can take Blair. Owen Craigie 2.0

I thought Melbourne were releasing players and not signing players so they would be under the cap like the other 15 clubs (appartently they are)

they still need players though . The idea is to let expensive players go and replace them with cheaper options.

you cant just release players and not replace them with anyone.

Bman26

Juniors
Only after they release one more.

According to the DT (I know its the DT so its probably rubbish) the storm have now released 1.73 million. If you factor in the room to move with the new marquee rules and the slight cap increase that would leave the storm with a few a hundred thousand without releasing anymore, thus the signing of 55k players should be no surprise.

boxhead

First Grade
S.Kearney -> Parramatta

Says 9 News.

Well, won't be happening after tonight, and even then too many factors were pointing away from it....i.e. the Parra CEO said today they were sticking with Anderson no matter what, and that he had told them his recruitment plans; seems odd they would get rid of him before he has a chance to get the team he wants.

It is still an interesting rumour.
But....it's Danny Weidler.

boxhead

First Grade
Urgent talks to convince Quade Cooper to stay

* Peter Badel
* August 14, 2010 12:00AM

Speaking exclusively with The Daily Telegraph last night, Parramatta boss Paul Osborne confirmed holding talks with Cooper's management and is ready to table a formal offer if the Queensland playmaker is genuine in his desire to test himself in the NRL.

Desperate to keep the playmaker in their ranks, Wallabies coach Robbie Deans yesterday phoned Cooper to spruik the benefits of staying loyal with the 2011 World Cup campaign on the horizon.

But while Cooper is tipped to remain in rugby, Eels powerbrokers have stepped up attempts to orchestrate the most significant Wallaby defection since the 15-a-side code went professional in 1996.

Less than 16 hours before speaking with Deans, Cooper met with Osborne and Eels chairman Roy Spagnolo at a Brisbane pub.

The ace up Parramatta's sleeve was Hayne, who has struck up a friendship with Cooper via Twitter and attended the dinner to pitch the merits of a code switch.

While ARU boss John O'Neill is confident Cooper will re-sign in the coming weeks, Osborne last night broke his silence to declare the club wanted the Reds utility if he was serious about quitting rugby.

"If he's fair dinkum, we'd love to have him here," Osborne said. "I want to make it clear we're not interested in being used as leverage against the ARU.

"But if he wants to play rugby league, we'd make Quade an offer.

"We're more than interested, but he really needs to make a decision on whether he wants to play league or union."

Cooper, who has played 16 Tests, said last night he still had a lot to achieve in rugby and was leaning towards staying with the ARU.

But with the classy playmaker left dissatisfied by the ARU's initial top-up component on a two-year deal, Cooper could find a bumper offer from the Eels difficult to refuse.

"I've always had [league] in the back of my mind because I like watching league and I loved playing it," he said.

"But at the same time I've enjoyed rugby and I haven't really achieved too much in the game as yet that I want to achieve.

"I have been chased a little bit [by league clubs before] but at the same time it's pretty hard to leave when you haven't achieved anything."

Deans and ARU boss John O'Neill held urgent phone calls with Cooper yesterday to try to convince him to ignore NRL riches and prove himself a rugby superstar at the 2011 World Cup.

"But in the long run, the money is irrelevant," Deans said. "It's about what do you want to do with your life? You get one life, and he is just getting started. I would be very surprised if he was to walk away from that for some dollars, because when you hit 90, you want to be able to look back and say I did all the things I wanted to do."It will have very little to do with how many dollars you have in the bank. Either way [rugby or league] he will have that probably anyway."

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...e-cooper-to-stay/story-e6frey4i-1225905063721

Seems like the Quade Cooper rumours are growing, considering only yesterday the following happened;
1. Paul Osbourne (Eels CEO) said Quade was just trying to increase his value.
2. Quade himself wrote this off.
3. The Australian Rugby Union (ARU) officials said it wouldn't happen, and didn't really give a rat's arse.

Now, in this article;
1. Paul Osbourne admits he had a private dinner with Quade, along with Ray Spagnolo (Eels Chairman) and Jarryd Hayne (one of Quade's friends)-Jarryd apparently was there because he would be a huge drawcard for Quade to come to Rugby League (and the Eels).
2. Quade is still saying it is unlikely, but saying he is now seriously considering it.
3. The ARU have now apparently rung him up for 'urgent discussions' concerning his future.

Seems like something pretty momentous happened overnight to suddenly change everyone's reports....why would the ARU, who previously didn't really care what happened, now want 'urgent talks' with him?
And, if you have seen the highly debated Twitter comment from one of "Quade Cooper's close friends" last night, where he says 'I will support you no matter what you do, I am shocked you have made this decisions' (summing it up) I think this means these rumours have a lot more legs than previously thought....

I still think it is unlikely, but jeez; it would be the signing, and code-switch, of the millennium if it happened. I'll update this space with any further news on this....stay tuned. Mind you, if the Eels pull it off, they wouldn't have to worry about signing a halfback, and it would also pretty much negate the fact they haven't signed anyone else yet; it would more than likely just raise the want to play at the Eels by a huge margin for off contract players in the NRL (particularly players like Blake Ferguson).....
Again, stay tuned.....

Stagger eel

Staff member
get ready for the ARU to go into damage control bigtime, there's a real possability of this happening and they're now fully aware of it.

lewiscook

Juniors
get ready for the ARU to go into damage control bigtime, there's a real possability of this happening and they're now fully aware of it.

Watch for the ARU to come in with a new and improved offer.
Lets hope Quade's wont to play league and for Parramatta is genuine because this would be an amazing coup!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts