What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured Signings - 2011/12

Status
Not open for further replies.

perverse

Referee
Bulldogs Losses, Gains and Upgrades/Extensions for 2011:

Losses:
Ben Hannant
Brett Kimmorley
Luke Patten

Gains:
Aiden Tolman
Kris Keating
Trent Hodkinson
Frank Pritchard
Ryan Tandy

Upgrades/Extensions
Ben Barba
Jamal Idris

if they sign Blair and Eastwood, they are simply taking the piss imo. Surely only 1 of those 2, and even then... wtf? did i miss anyone?

BRED, NOT BOUGHT!

Fingerbang

Bench
Bulldogs Losses, Gains and Upgrades/Extensions for 2011:

Losses:
Ben Hannant
Brett Kimmorley
Luke Patten

Gains:
Aiden Tolman
Kris Keating
Trent Hodkinson
Frank Pritchard
Ryan Tandy

Upgrades/Extensions
Ben Barba
Jamal Idris

if they sign Blair and Eastwood, they are simply taking the piss imo. Surely only 1 of those 2, and even then... wtf? did i miss anyone?

BRED, NOT BOUGHT!
Jonathon Wright, Michael Lett, ????

Big Mick

Referee
and they losses jarrad hickey danny williams yileen gordan

lol

massive!

Hannant - Pritchard
Kimmorley - Hodkinson
Patten & Danny Williams - Keating (Patten wasn't on much due to frontloading anyway + vet allowance + Williams was min wage)
Jarrod Hickey & Yileen Gordon - Upgrades for Barba, Idris, Goodwin, Morris & Tandy - and that's being generous.

And signed Aiden Tolman on a big contract, Jonothan Wright, Michael Lett and rumoured to get Adam Blair & Greg Eastwood.

It is comical...it just doesn't add up - considering some of those are conservative as well. Blair is on $200k and wants more. Say he gets $300k, Eastwood would get $250-300k, Tolman signed for $275k And just assuming Wright and Lett are minimum wage, that's $150k total for both. So where is the remaining $1m cap space coming from? - that's about 13 minimum wage players...so unless the Dogs plan on playing with only 16 players in their First Grade Squad next year...there is no way that squad is legal should they get Blair and Eastwood.

Now I've run a quick little squad salaries etc...for 31 players currently still with Dogs that wont be leaving..including Blair and Eastwood...and even being extremely conservative...and factoring in cap going up by $300k and then another $300k added to loyalty payments...I've still got them $400k over the cap.

Good on the Bulldogs if they are under the cap...but it just doesn't pass the smell test.

Last edited:

RHCP

Bench
I was willing to give them benefit of the doubt a couple of months ago, but there's no way they can be throwing so much money around without busting the cap. Perhaps we're all just a little suspicous after the Melbourne fiasco, but it would take a brilliant monetary contortionist to have the Bulldogs under the cap.

roboshark

Coach
Well if they, or anyone else do go over the cap the nrl won't do anything about it....incompetance personified

Unless there is another melb type whistleblower

Ike E Bear

Juniors
Personally I have no faith in the cap to achieve what it is supposedly designed to achieve (at least by half).

It still serves to stop clubs from spending themselves to death, I suppose ... but the completely mysterious third party payment rules mean the cap as it stands will never spread the talent around or even really encourage that.

It's hard to believe the Dogs could be under the cap, but then I wouldn't be completely shocked if they were with all the loopholes in the system.

TheRam

Coach
Personally I have no faith in the cap to achieve what it is supposedly designed to achieve (at least by half).

It still serves to stop clubs from spending themselves to death, I suppose ... but the completely mysterious third party payment rules mean the cap as it stands will never spread the talent around or even really encourage that.

It's hard to believe the Dogs could be under the cap, but then I wouldn't be completely shocked if they were with all the loopholes in the system.

You just touched on it mate, the third party payments. This is how the smart clubs will always get away with having those extra 2-3 top players on their books that will give them the edge over their rivals. That's why I say the number one signing a club makes by the country straight is the CEO and number two(collectively) is the remainder of the board.

Without professional running your club, it doesn't stand a chance to do what Canterbury, Easts and the Broncos always seem to do when it comes to recruitment.

Big Mick

Referee
Well even Greenberg knows people are talking judging by his twitter:

1. Todd_Greenberg
    And no need to worry about salary cap compliance - we are comfortably under the cap and all documentation is in order! Good governance! about 2 hours ago via web
  2. Todd_Greenberg
    Received lots of questions re recruitment/retention program for 2011-some great additions already locked in-more good news in next few weeks about 2 hours ago via web
http://twitter.com/Todd_Greenberg

Usually when someone says "I'll be honest..." or "No need to worry" addressing something that hasn't even been publicly addressed...peaks my interest.

Smartman

Juniors
Well even Greenberg knows people are talking judging by his twitter:

1. Todd_Greenberg
    And no need to worry about salary cap compliance - we are comfortably under the cap and all documentation is in order! Good governance! about 2 hours ago via web
  2. Todd_Greenberg
    Received lots of questions re recruitment/retention program for 2011-some great additions already locked in-more good news in next few weeks about 2 hours ago via web
http://twitter.com/Todd_Greenberg

Usually when someone says "I'll be honest..." or "No need to worry" addressing something that hasn't even been publicly addressed...peaks my interest.

Get your hand off it.

Seriously you are bitter that the Penrith management doesn't hold a candle to the bulldogs.

Losing Pritchard really did bite ya, not to worry i wouldn't be surprised to see more panthers come on board in the coming years. :cool:

macavity

Referee
and by comparison, the Knights sign 3 NYC players, Neville Costigan..... and apparently *drumroll*.... Steve Southern.

On Eastwood, Greenberg says the payment to Leeds is outside the cap, whereas someone who should bloody well know has told me that the payment is counted in the cap....

Can anyone clarify that? You reading this Gallop?

BrisVegas

Juniors
and by comparison, the Knights sign 3 NYC players, Neville Costigan..... and apparently *drumroll*.... Steve Southern.

On Eastwood, Greenberg says the payment to Leeds is outside the cap, whereas someone who should bloody well know has told me that the payment is counted in the cap....

Can anyone clarify that? You reading this Gallop?

Only money being paid to the player is counted under the cap. Transfer fees (such as the Eastwood fee, the release fee Russell Crowe paid for Sam Burgess, or the money the Sharks paid to release Tim Smith from his QRL club earlier this year) isn't included under the cap.

Matt Orford or Michael Dobson :arrow: Canberra Raiders

Replacement for Terry Campese this coming season, where it looks like he'll be out for 9-12 months.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts