What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured Signings 2011/2012 II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sugar

Bench
Are you serious? So the guys with near 2m combined in Benji, Robbie and Blair can afford a marquee signing but we can't? Get your hand off it.

Inglis on 550k under the cap. Burgess on 350. Luke on 400. We are paying our stars much more efficiently than anyone else.
Making shit up again ?
Privy to Souths/Tigers Player contracts ?
Stop pulling figures out of your fat ass

natheel

Coach
No other club is dumb enough to think a centre is worth that much. If they reckon they can get away with just paying 10% of his contract he is going nowhere. He'll be there clogging their cap for 3 more years.

They can't renogiate his contract to pay him what he is worth. The only way he can get paid what he is worth is if he goes elsewhere. They can make 300k. We'll pay him 350k. Everyone is happy.

you blokes must be imbeciles then, you signed a centre in inglis at a reported 600k at time of signing.

natheel

Coach
Are you serious? So the guys with near 2m combined in Benji, Robbie and Blair can afford a marquee signing but we can't? Get your hand off it.

Inglis on 550k under the cap. Burgess on 350. Luke on 400. We are paying our stars much more efficiently than anyone else.

and look at who tigers are losing you idiot.

Ellis would free up some cap space seeing as he was an established rep player when they got him (wouldn't be cheap) hence freeing up more money than your lot has.

yeh coz paying a centre (at time of signing) 550k a season is effecient. the only players who command those dollars are players in the spine.

hence Thurston, Cronk, Smith, Slater, Hayne Sandow (hopefully will be worth it down the track) Locky when he played commanded big money.

a centre should never cost that much. Penrith were silly to put Jennings on such a big contract. Souths were silly for putting Inglis on a big contract for the position he plays, because if he stays im afraid his money will probably push out a player like Reynolds down the line because the way he's going will command more money in his next contract.

Yes GI is a fullback at the moment but i have doubts as to whether he wil be there for souths at the back for the long term.

im afraid the only way you guys will get Jennings is if Inglis doesn't pen a new deal because the greedy prick is only interested in the money which was shown when he turned the contact down to check out the new tv deal.

aussie7798

First Grade
Dragons would have easily enough money to sign him as well not that i would want to lay out 500k for him but

dragons lost

Boyd Not replaced 350k
Gaz Not replaced 350-400k

no way would it be worth it to penrith outlaying 350k for him to play elsewhere

Whatever happened to this thread being troll free ?

BM has just been constantly making things up and getting away with it.

BranVan3000

Coach
and look at who tigers are losing you idiot.

Ellis would free up some cap space seeing as he was an established rep player when they got him (wouldn't be cheap) hence freeing up more money than your lot has.

yeh coz paying a centre (at time of signing) 550k a season is effecient. the only players who command those dollars are players in the spine.

hence Thurston, Cronk, Smith, Slater, Hayne Sandow (hopefully will be worth it down the track) Locky when he played commanded big money.

a centre should never cost that much. Penrith were silly to put Jennings on such a big contract. Souths were silly for putting Inglis on a big contract for the position he plays, because if he stays im afraid his money will probably push out a player like Reynolds down the line because the way he's going will command more money in his next contract.

Yes GI is a fullback at the moment but i have doubts as to whether he wil be there for souths at the back for the long term.

im afraid the only way you guys will get Jennings is if Inglis doesn't pen a new deal because the greedy prick is only interested in the money which was shown when he turned the contact down to check out the new tv deal.
lol you wish. Firstly, he approached our management about penning a new deal. It wouldn't have even been a discussion for another year if GI didn't make the approach. We tabled a long term offer to him, of course his manager wisely told him to hold off a while until the new TV deal is sorted out. It would be idiotic for any player to sign a long term deal without getting the best value for himself.

GI is one of those players we will aim to keep no matter what. Unless he does a complete 180 and stops being happy, he will be here

You do realise also we are losing Crocker, Pettybourne, Dave Taylor and potentially Asotasi this year or next. All of whom are on large contracts

Bench
From todays DT,Penrith have refused to pay any of Jennings contract if he leaves,and he will be on $690k next season,best of luck Souths getting him for $$350k.

Bretto

Bench
From todays DT,Penrith have refused to pay any of Jennings contract if he leaves,and he will be on $690k next season,best of luck Souths getting him for $$350k.

Six hundred and ninety thousand dollars - for Michael Jennings. :lol:

BunniesMan

Immortal
Whatever happened to this thread being troll free ?

BM has just been constantly making things up and getting away with it.
Making things up am I? The last thing I posted was from Triple M. Go get mad at them.
:lol:
Either they'll see sense and give him up and pay half his contract or they'll have a 350k player on their books for near 700k for years to come.

Gus said the Panthers are f**ked until 2015, well that wasn't an exaggeration. How many promising juniors will they lose between now and then because of the 5 overpaid players they have taking up half the cap.

Mr Spock!

Referee

Wow $690 000 for a centre.....

....to play NSW Cup.:shock:

maple_69

Bench
Making things up am I? The last thing I posted was from Triple M. Go get mad at them.

Either they'll see sense and give him up and pay half his contract or they'll have a 350k player on their books for near 700k for years to come.

Gus said the Panthers are f**ked until 2015, well that wasn't an exaggeration. How many promising juniors will they lose between now and then because of the 5 overpaid players they have taking up half the cap.

It's a crap situation for Penrith and thankfully the man mainly responsible is now pursuing other challenges..but our alternatives are:

Flog Jennings off. I can't imagine any club would pay more thank 400k for him. So assuming the numbers are true we'd have no player on our books for 290k, or we keep him, try and get his head right and potentially have one of the best attacking players on our books for 690k.

Unless we can find a player worth around 200k that's going to replace him and give us some money spare to play with, there's no point.

natheel

Coach

How is there any sense in paying 350k for a player who is playing for anther side? Jesus Christ luckily ur not a football manager ya club would be bankrupt in a matter of weeks

BunniesMan

Immortal
How is there any sense in paying 350k for a player who is playing for anther side? Jesus Christ luckily ur not a football manager ya club would be bankrupt in a matter of weeks
I wouldn't have signed Michael Jennings to a 690k a year contract in the first place.

But even if they do give him to us or the Eels or Sharks or whoever else for say 350k yes they'll still be paying 340k for another teams player but that's the glass half empty outlook.

The glass half full outlook is Jennings never was and never will be worth what he is on now, so letting go of him and freeing up 350k means they can sign 2-3 promising youngsters to a first grade contract that they will lose if they keep Jennings.

Would they rather see Jennings play for someone else or lose more good juniors to other teams.

Gus has said they are stuffed till 2015, well wiping out even half of Jennings contract off the books means the rebuilding can start quicker.

BranVan3000

Coach
Penrith will pay for what they think they can get a more beneficial replacement for. If they have 350k more in the bank and think they can leverage that to get them a better player. maybe in the spine or forwards or wherever they are weak, then they will do it.

Our old management were f**ked in the head.

I'm not defending them l but can you imagine the outcry if Jennings left ?

Massive rock and a hard place.

One thing lost in this debate about Jennings worth is the reality that centres of his ability come along pretty rarely.look at the game today, there are only a handful on centres that are in his class. On his day he may well be in the top 2 true centres in the game ( I don't include inglis) his true worth is probably in the 450k to 500k range , but given the panthers have always struggled in recruitment its no surprise we paid overs.

Last edited:

natheel

Coach
letting Jennings go would be stupid imo, yes he's on massive money but he's a good player and rep one at that. has been dropped for some reasons to do with his attitude i believe.

Panthers won't let him go and pay half his contract for the sake of signing a couple 'promising' players who may or may not get to where jennings is at.

I just think its a silly move to pay a massive amount like 350k for him to play where ever. I'd understand if it was like 100 - 150k but not 350k. thats my opinion anyway. I'd keep him for the remainder and then work out a better deal or piss him off all together.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts