What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured Signings 2011/2012 II

Status
Not open for further replies.

BranVan3000

Coach
In the end it all depends on if Jennings is party of Cleary and Gould's plans moving forward. How many more years is he contracted for?

franklin2323

Immortal
I'm not defending them l but can you imagine the outcry if Jennings left ?

Massive rock and a hard place.

One thing lost in this debate about Jennings worth is the reality that centres of his ability come along pretty rarely.look at the game today, there are only a handful on centres that are in his class. On his day he may well be in the top 2 true centres in the game ( I don't include inglis) his true worth is probably in the 450k to 500k range , but given the panthers have always struggled in recruitment its no surprise we paid overs.

That year we lost Graham and Pritchard to of lost him would of been huge hit for the fans to take. We don't know what the other offers were at the time.

If we are smart our cap is fine. We were still able to offer $380k for Gordon after beating Warriors to sign Brown. Then got Whare. In talks with Manu, Ta'ai & Segeyaro.

Harry Siejka is F/T yet gets partically paid using the NYC cap. We can do the same with G.Jennings and Satini next year. Then we use the rest budgeted for Gordon, The minimum wage of Seluini & Earl. Have no Y.Gordon, Paulo, Wakeman or Gibb taking up 2nd tier cap space. We are fine to keep everyone.

2015 is just when we should push for the GF. NYC are running 1st. Next year go up to NSW Cup. The odd NRL game. 2014. Start to nail down positions in the top grade.

2015 the class starts to show and we win most games. Then have the backend deals and some plodders gone and can lock the NYC graduates up long term.

Big Mick

Referee
We were still able to offer $380k for Gordon after beating Warriors to sign Brown. Then got Whare. In talks with Manu, Ta'ai & Segeyaro.

Dunno where you got that $380k figure from. Our offer was nowhere near that.

As for Brown, we got him because Warriors didn't want to pay market value as he is surplus to their needs. So he was cheaper than people realise.

Whare, yeah we got at good value.

I haven't heard we are talking to Ta'ai. To me that was just a logical link to us due to not being wanted by NZ, while Cleary gave him his first shot & he would be another impact backrower.

As for Manu and Segeyaro...I wouldn't hold out too much hope tbh. I fear that we are no more than a bargaining chip in relation to these two guys. I'd love to get them...but I would be shocked if we did without having to let Jennings go.

franklin2323

Immortal
I was told a hard hitting backrower was next target then another outside back. Ta'ai is the only 1 I could think of. Teo, T rex signed Manu prob too expensive.

As for Brown the fact is he's not a discard and we paid market value so we aren't too stuffed with the cap. I don't think we will get him but Segeyaro will be instead of Burns so that would be a straight swap cap wise. I heard Simmons to ESL if Purtell needs to retire so there's a bit of money there

Last edited:

Bob

Juniors
I was told a hard hitting backrower was next target then another outside back. Ta'ai is the only 1 I could think of. Teo, T rex signed Manu prob too expensive.

As for Brown the fact is he's not a discard and we paid market value so we aren't too stuffed with the cap. I don't think we will get him but Segeyaro will be instead of Burns so that would be a straight swap cap wise. I heard Simmons to ESL if Purtell needs to retire so there's a bit of money there
f**k thats good news, does he need a lift to the airport

Gould will probably take some of our players for peanuts, take your pick :

Jake Foster, Martin Taupau, Patrick Templeman, Harlan Alaalatoa, Dene Halatau, David Stagg(may end up in ESL).

S.S.T.I.D

Bench
Martin Taupau would be a great signing for any club in my opinion. I'd love him at Souths if the Dogs find him as surplus.

Tyrone Biggums

Juniors
Is he a Bulldogs junior? If he is then it's safe to assume he will be surplus to requirements at Canterbury.

Wouldn't want one of those pesky juniors to get in the way of another marquee signing.

But you are right, he would be a good pick. Does pretty well whenever I see him.

Big Mick

Referee
I've said on Penrith's forums countless times that instead of Sika Manu I'd rather get Akuma Ta'ai & Martin Taupau for his money with some left over.

franklin2323

Immortal
Gould will probably take some of our players for peanuts, take your pick :

Jake Foster, Martin Taupau, Patrick Templeman, Harlan Alaalatoa, Dene Halatau, David Stagg(may end up in ESL).

Isn't Taupau a prop? I wouldn't complain if we get him. Just that it won't fix our backrower problem

Isn't Taupau a prop? I wouldn't complain if we get him. Just that it won't fix our backrower problem

I might be mistaken, but I think he played lock for the junior Kiwis so maybe he could slot into 11/12 for you.

Halatau is pretty explosive though and I could really see many teams making a play for him.

Who is Patrick Templeman?

lol I copied it straight from another website, I forgot to delete his name... He is a fullback but I have no clue where the hell he came from. :lol:

Last edited:

dogslife

Coach
U20's fullback from Sunshine Coast Crusher signed two weeks ago, would be incredibly surprised if we're looking to offload him already...;-)

franklin2323

Immortal
I might be mistaken, but I think he played lock for the junior Kiwis so maybe he could slot into 11/12 for you.

Halatau is pretty explosive though and I could really see many teams making a play for him.

Halatau no. Taupau is early 20's that's the age we need to target our 20's pack are a good 2-3 years off that's if they are any good when they get up. So we need a few that are a few years older until they come in.

Big Mick

Referee
Gus apparently said be prepared for major announcement this afternoon.

Just spoke to a player who thinks it may be Sika Manu.

It'd be a shock. Because got told this morning by mate that "We are a bargaining tool. Dragons have highest chance".

I'm not sure what to think of it if it is Manu.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts