What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured Signings 2011/2012 II

Status
Not open for further replies.

MisterLove

Juniors
That isn't the clause at all thats what some dilusional manly fans made up.

The clause is if des isn't coach foran was pushed on it other day and he said he isn't making any promises but he is happy at manly.

doesn't really tell us much.

Well Graham Lowe begs to differ with you there doggiesbro but obviously you would know alot more than the former CEO of the club and I believe he said he was very happy at manly... So I think this is more doggies fans wishful thinking than manly supporters making things up there pal... Bred not bought anyway aren't you guys??? Hahahahah

DoggiesBro

Juniors
Well Graham Lowe begs to differ with you there doggiesbro but obviously you would know alot more than the former CEO of the club and I believe he said he was very happy at manly... So I think this is more doggies fans wishful thinking than manly supporters making things up there pal... Bred not bought anyway aren't you guys??? Hahahahah

The whole bred not bought thing doesnt fuss me. The nrl these days is a business, players, coaches etc haven't got a lot of loyalty bar a few select few. The dogs have bred some great talent that have been bought like Price, Thurston, Anasta, Asotasi, Myles, Mataiu, Idris etc had blokes like Mason and SBW shit on us.

Got some great kids in Barba, Kasiano, Lafai, Finucane, Jackson, Reynolds, Taupau running round and coming through.

When you have your team ravaged and the two you plan to build around walk out because ur board is ran by f**kheads (heads up manly) these things happen. We had to go on a massive recruitment because you simply cant produce a squad like that within a year, and when you have all your stars bought or walked out what do you expect them to do? Leave 2mil or whatever under the cap? In 2008 we had a team that would struggle in NSW cup once sonny walked.

This year we have bought one player so far. In saying that i expect us to sign a few players when des comes and i expect us to lose a few. Its the beauty of the beast, however as for Foran i'm not saying we will sign him, i'm just saying as it was said he said hes making no promises however he is very happy at manly.

Does that mean he will stay or go? Does that mean he knows for sure right now? I expect when 2012 ends with Des departing a couple will follow, if one of them is him or not is anybodys guess. I hope it is as he is a quality 5/8 which is something we have lacked for years. If not i'm sure Des will work his magic afterall he seems to have a way with young halves.

MisterLove

Juniors
Yeah I really don't know what will happen I think the players have alot of respect for tooves aswell though, dce and foran both came out and said he was the man for the job before it was announced and now dce is about to sign on until 2014 according to all reports. They seem like a very close knit group and as watmough said the players won it not Des, as long as crusher stays I don't think Des leaving will have too much of an impact. Des will most likely go into the bulldogs with the same attitude that he started with at manly as they are in a similar position to what the bulldogs are in now battling to make the 8 and he will just try and build them up slowly adding only a couple of blue chip players a year but who they are remains to be seen yet.

BunniesMan

Immortal
no salary cap at souffs
There is. We only need to be better than the 60 odd K the Tits are offering and our only competition is the Sharks, who according to them, haven't even made an offer.

We did make an offer for Sandow, so there has to be a bit of unspent money there.

You'd only need 100-150k or so to get him I reckon.

Wato

Juniors
There is. We only need to be better than the 60 odd K the Tits are offering and our only competition is the Sharks, who according to them, haven't even made an offer.

We did make an offer for Sandow, so there has to be a bit of unspent money there.

You'd only need 100-150k or so to get him I reckon.

Plus the club will get most of it back through fines for breaking club policy lol.

Wato

Juniors

You can't look to sign Carney and not expect to be criticized for it. Souths is just about the worst Club for Carney to go to. They are in the papers more often then any other club, have a rookie coach and the weight of expectation.

BunniesMan

Immortal
You can't look to sign Carney and not expect to be criticized for it. Souths is just about the worst Club for Carney to go to. They are in the papers more often then any other club, have a rookie coach and the weight of expectation.
Maguire does know him from way back. He was an assistant at the raiders when Carney was coming up through the ranks. And from what I've heard Maguire is pretty close to universally respected by the coaches and players he's worked with. And he has a reputation for being very tough and a hardarse. Someone like that could be a great influence.

And also being captained by someone like Crocker, who was a bit of a troublemaker in his younger days and has made the transformation into an expierienced veteran.

I reckon having strong role models like that could be what is needed.

Trading in influences like Watts and Myles for influences like Maguire and Crocker could be just the thing that sets Carney straight

If we are after him then Maguire has given it the green light. I trust that he knows Carney well enough to know if he is fixable.

BUT it's all speculation at this point. Carney has said he'll announce his decision next week. For all we know on Monday morning he'll be getting onto the first plane to Paris to play French rugby...

Wato

Juniors
Maguire does know him from way back. He was an assistant at the raiders when Carney was coming up through the ranks. And from what I've heard Maguire is pretty close to universally respected by the coaches and players he's worked with. And he has a reputation for being very tough and a hardarse. Someone like that could be a great influence.

And also being captained by someone like Crocker, who was a bit of a troublemaker in his younger days and has made the transformation into an expierienced veteran.

I reckon having strong role models like that could be what is needed.

Trading in influences like Watts and Myles for influences like Maguire and Crocker could be just the thing that sets Carney straight

If we are after him then Maguire has given it the green light. I trust that he knows Carney well enough to know if he is fixable.

BUT it's all speculation at this point. Carney has said he'll announce his decision next week. For all we know on Monday morning he'll be getting onto the first plane to Paris to play French rugby...

Yea I agree but even you said they could turn Carney around and his not the sort of player I would sign in the hope my side could turn him around.

dogslife

Coach
The whole bred not bought thing doesnt fuss me. The nrl these days is a business, players, coaches etc haven't got a lot of loyalty bar a few select few. The dogs have bred some great talent that have been bought like Price, Thurston, Anasta, Asotasi, Myles, Mataiu, Idris etc had blokes like Mason and SBW shit on us.

Got some great kids in Barba, Kasiano, Lafai, Finucane, Jackson, Reynolds, Taupau running round and coming through.

When you have your team ravaged and the two you plan to build around walk out because ur board is ran by f**kheads (heads up manly) these things happen. We had to go on a massive recruitment because you simply cant produce a squad like that within a year, and when you have all your stars bought or walked out what do you expect them to do? Leave 2mil or whatever under the cap? In 2008 we had a team that would struggle in NSW cup once sonny walked.

Probably the most sensible thing you've ever posted. Unfortunately this point has been made ad nauseum, but people love buying into the bought not bred thing, which honestly we are, but as you've mentioned we're starting to get some decent juniors coming through the ranks now after the stocks were pillaged by the Bondi Bulldogs

Fairfax

Juniors
Probably the most sensible thing you've ever posted. Unfortunately this point has been made ad nauseum, but people love buying into the bought not bred thing, which honestly we are, but as you've mentioned we're starting to get some decent juniors coming through the ranks now after the stocks were pillaged by the Bondi Bulldogs

But not one of that four, Myles, Anasta, O'Meley and Mason were Canterbury juniors. Dogs have always recruited well.

dogslife

Coach
But not one of that four, Myles, Anasta, O'Meley and Mason were Canterbury juniors. Dogs have always recruited well.

Perhaps they weren't juniors in that sense, but all of them bar O'Meley got their start at, and made a name for themselves at the Dogs

BunniesMan

Immortal
Yea I agree but even you said they could turn Carney around and his not the sort of player I would sign in the hope my side could turn him around.
No arguments from me that it's a risk. It is a big one. One way or another 'the Carney era' for Souths (if it happens) will end in tears. Either premiership tears, or latest Carney disgrace tears. It is a massive risk. But halves of his talent available for 100k is a once in a decade oppurtunity.

Again, IF it happens, Carney could help us get #21 and we could help him get his career and life sorted. On the other hand his issues could put us further from #21 than we've ever been since Crowe's purchase of the club.

'Turning him around' won't be an easy task, and far from guaranteed, but the potential payoff is worth it IMO.

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
No arguments from me that it's a risk. It is a big one. One way or another 'the Carney era' for Souths (if it happens) will end in tears. Either premiership tears, or latest Carney disgrace tears. It is a massive risk. But halves of his talent available for 100k is a once in a decade oppurtunity.

Again, IF it happens, Carney could help us get #21 and we could help him get his career and life sorted. On the other hand his issues could put us further from #21 than we've ever been since Crowe's purchase of the club.

'Turning him around' won't be an easy task, and far from guaranteed, but the potential payoff is worth it IMO.

The pay off is definitely for it. Ask the Roosters. They got a GF out of him...yes hes given them a sh*tload of pain, but without him in '10 they don't go past the regular season. If I'm a Souths fan I'd give him a sh*tload of cap, a permanent minder and unleash him.

By the way, you don't have #20. You have zero. Seriously.

Status
Not open for further replies.