What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured Signings and Even More Crap X

Status
Not open for further replies.

oldmancraigy

Coach
In my view that is overstating things slightly. With the possible exception of 2009, I think if it wasn't the Storm, it would have been some other team that knocked us out.

Our run in 2009 was great but it also highlighted one of the flaws of the Top 8 NRL finals system. Realistically, a team only needs to be switched on for 8-10 weeks and can play rubbish for a large part of the season.

A lot of other fans I have spoken to have an issue with that and would prefer a top 5 or 6 finals system. The NRL will never entertain that though given the reduced revenue.

I agree with the premise (top 8 system and 8-10 weeks of great footy = premiership). I highly doubt anyone beats us that year if they weren't $1million over the cap (face the facts, the Storm only beat us through a significant leg up from the officials) - but that's a side point!

I DO however like the top 8, if only because it means so many teams are still "alive" in the premiership for so much longer. It leads to more upsets and more games of competitive footy with teams 'trying' for longer periods of the season. Under a top 5 system, we'd already have 4 spots decided for this season, with only 5 teams really in the running for 5th (even at this early stage). Takes a massive effort for teams to make a run and get back into the top 5.

Top 8 means 3 good weeks in a row breathes hope into pretty much any teams season. So I like it from a fans point of view, it keeps all teams fans interested through July.

oldmancraigy

Coach
I understand your hate for Kearney, he coached your team with no success and let's be honest here, he wasn't the only one in recent times (not having a dig, stating facts)

but I am pretty confident he doesn't have much of a say on how things operate for us, if he does then his coaching has improved beyond sight

With all due respect, he is the only one in recent times to have coached the team without success. As pointed out already, we haven't had a coach who failed to make the top 8 since 1996.
In fact, the 3 previous coaches to Kearney were only eliminated by an illegally assembled team, so we can't know how their season may have finished.
And the coach before them brought home 2 minor premierships (and numerous "chokes" :( )

There's a reason that SK is given a hard time for dismantling a good system. I'd suggest Hagan started the rot in "whole club management", Anderson didn't see to fixing it, and SK's attempted fix made things worse than before.

Appointment of Nolan was the one good thing SK did while here, everything else resulted in failure!! So I hope for your sake he has no say in anything except who needs a drink out on the paddock during a game?

blaza88z

Coach
That's a fair point and I wasn't including your finals run when Hayne was ripping teams apart, I wouldn't count that as a coaching master stroke but more so a single player in the form of his career so I do apologize for that

I know it hurts more for you guys because it's been a while since your last one but from a Broncos perspective, the Storm cheated us out of the finals on a year to year basis, it's a bit like which kid copped the most abuse from the school bully :lol:

I bleed blue & gold

First Grade
That's a fair point and I wasn't including your finals run when Hayne was ripping teams apart, I wouldn't count that as a coaching master stroke but more so a single player in the form of his career so I do apologize for that

I know it hurts more for you guys because it's been a while since your last one but from a Broncos perspective, the Storm cheated us out of the finals on a year to year basis, it's a bit like which kid copped the most abuse from the school bully :lol:

Storm knocked us out in 06, 07 and beat us in the 09 decider, we know too lol.

Chipmunk

Coach
Watched Wenty win today and was impressed with a big forward in the Wyong side named Ronnie Alovili.He was a handfull for our defence needing 3 or more to bring him down and still managed to get a ball away a number of times.

Wyong play in the NSW Cup? Who is their NRL club?

Brenno75

Juniors
Kevin Naiqama off contract and unlikely to be re-signed apparently. Would he be worth looking at, or do we focus on more fowards??

I was about to post the same thing. We definitely could do with a quality winger.

Also, is Trent Hodkinson off contract with the Bulldogs? He could be worth looking into.

Avenger

Immortal
I was about to post the same thing. We definitely could do with a quality winger.

Also, is Trent Hodkinson off contract with the Bulldogs? He could be worth looking into.

Trent is way too slow but can tackle. Would we do a swap with Sandow and keep some change ?

I bleed blue & gold

First Grade
He would be good on the right money, surely he will attract some interest from clubs.

With Hodkinson, i would still be worried about his knee. I cant see us getting rid of Sandow anyway. Trent would prob compliment Norman well though.

oldmancraigy

Coach

:lol:

So sad.

Could've been a ripper GF 2009 - Eels/ Broncs.

we did win 10 games in the "terrible" 2010 season, which is as many as SK managed in 2 years here. Anyway, I like what you blokes did with Ipswich, and you seem to have lots of junior talent coming through, just need halves to point them around IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.