What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured Signings and General Dribble XIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
You f**king should if they're ever required to play in the NRL team.

There's 35 in the fulltime squad and I think they should all be on at least minimum salary. So there shouldn't even be a second tier.

Currently only the top 25 are covered by minimum salary, meaning plenty of the other dozen or so 'fulltime' players need a second income. That's no good for their development.

Fulltime players need plenty of time to train and sleep. And smash piss and party.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
We all have fun and learn something so it's good. To be honest I'm not convinced of my theory that the game would benefit with every club carrying two full teams (34+ players) of merkins on minimum salary. If people like ME can pick holes in it then I know I have to revise my theory or f**k it off.

This is why I argue so f**king much around here. Because it all helps me improve my understanding. It's win-win.

emjaycee

Coach
We all have fun and learn something so it's good. To be honest I'm not convinced of my theory that the game would benefit with every club carrying two full teams (34+ players) of merkins on minimum salary. If people like ME can pick holes in it then I know I have to revise my theory or f**k it off.

This is why I argue so f**king much around here. Because it all helps me improve my understanding. It's win-win.

Wouldn't an open age reserve grade comp achieve the same outcome?

Forty20

First Grade
Might be old news but I was told today that EGJ has signed with Cronulla and has commenced training with them.

Last edited:

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Wouldn't an open age reserve grade comp achieve the same outcome?

It wouldn't just achieve the same outcome; it would be exactly the same thing. ;-)

I guess it is mitigated somewhat by this year's rise in the minimum salary from $55k to $75k. What this means is that second tier players can now earn up to $74 999 (and 99 cents, ME). But the more second tier players that earn this much, the less of them clubs can use. The second tier cap is $375k, so only five merkins on (approx.) $75k could play, and really, how many of them would be on much less than this?

Then again, only us and the Tigers used more than 30 (top 25 plus five second tier) players this year anyway, so my whinge is probably a bit specific to the club:

25 Chooks
27 Souths
28 Storm
28 Manly
29 Sharks
27 Bulldogs
29 Knights
30 Cowboys
30 Titans
30 Panthers
28 Warriors
28 Broncos
30 Raiders
30 Dragons
34 Tigers
31 Eels

I guess $70-odd thousand bucks a year is enough for merkins to live on, especially blokes in their early 20s. What am I f**king whinging about?

I haven't read all the bollix, but wouldn't this system just mean desperate clubs would park all their coin in the first team, and leave all the rest of the merkins to beg on the minimum?

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
I haven't read all the bollix, but wouldn't this system just mean desperate clubs would park all their coin in the first team, and leave all the rest of the merkins to beg on the minimum?

Either system would do that.

And the best teams all have the bulk of their money tied up in the top 17 and hope for f**k all injuries. Neither system discourages that.

As for begging on the minimum, the point of the minimum is that it's enough to live on. That's why it was raised from $55k to $75k this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.