What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured Signings and General Dribble XIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Exactly right. Which makes me wonder why Cummins would sign with us when we already have so many merkins on second tier contracts. You can't use them all - 14 of the 16 clubs this year used five or less players from their second tier squad.

The Tigers used nine and Parra used six, both with special permission from the NRL.

Sure, we could use all 12 if they were on an average of $30k each, but I suspect second tier players earn a fair bit more than that.

El Diablo

Post Whore
the top 25 as i understand it are the highest salaries and the rest fall into the 2nd tier cap

http://www.nrl.com.au/nrlhq/referencecentre/salarycap/tabid/10434/default.aspx

SALARY CAP BREAKDOWN
NRL PAYMENTS for the Top 25
2013 Cap

$5.15 million Basic payments for the Top 25 players including Sponsor Servicing Allowance ($4.95m) which is automatically given to all clubs to compensate players for club sponsorship activities including appearances and endorsements.

Long Serving Player Allowance ($200K) for eligible players who have played eight continuous years of grade football with that club including Holden Cup and NSW Cup.

+ $225,000 Paid by the NRL to the RLPA towards players? Retirement Account Contribution.
+ $50,000 Paid by the NRL to the RLPA towards their administration funding.

*Payments under the actual salary cap total $5.150 million paid directly by clubs across the Top 25 players. The additional $320,000 paid into the RLPA Retirement and Administration Fund Contribution is not defined as a salary cap payment

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
Our nsw cup side is looking pretty good - plenty of big forwards. And I can't remember the last time our NSW side actually had some young players in the spine with some serious potential - we have Evans / cummins.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Our nsw cup side is looking pretty good - plenty of big forwards. And I can't remember the last time our NSW side actually had some young players in the spine with some serious potential - we have Evans / cummins.

Also Pritchard might play NSW Cup. Although Foran might spend a lot of time as Wenty's hooker, given Kelly and Evans in the halves.

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
Also Pritchard might play NSW Cup. Although Foran might spend a lot of time as Wenty's hooker, given Kelly and Evans in the halves.

We may not have the best squad next year but we definitely have plenty of options for each position - which can only be a good thing.

Utey

Coach

Agree on that, having blokes in the side that are absolute no chance of pushing for a 1st grade spot sh*ts me. Oh f*ck it, bring back Prems FFS.

The Colonel

Immortal
A good strong NSW Cup side is very important if only to put pressure on the top grade to perform. That the NRL is trying to make the 'Premier League' the next important grade ahead of NYC again is very important.

emjaycee

Coach
A good strong NSW Cup side is very important if only to put pressure on the top grade to perform. That the NRL is trying to make the 'Premier League' the next important grade ahead of NYC again is very important.

Have the NRL accepted that the jump from NYC to NRL is too large for most and that the paying (viewing) public want something in the middle, such as the old Reserve Grade was?

I recall that they (the NRL) didn't want to fund 3 full grades with the cost of transporting an extra team around the country, etc too prohibitive - hence why we got only 2 "NRL" comps.

Hopefully they have seen the error of their ways and we end up with 3 fully fledged grades sooner rather than later.

Noise

Coach
Have the NRL accepted that the jump from NYC to NRL is too large for most and that the paying (viewing) public want something in the middle, such as the old Reserve Grade was?

I recall that they (the NRL) didn't want to fund 3 full grades with the cost of transporting an extra team around the country, etc too prohibitive - hence why we got only 2 "NRL" comps.

Hopefully they have seen the error of their ways and we end up with 3 fully fledged grades sooner rather than later.

Im wondering if they will do a 'swap' and the NRL will take over a premier league/reserve grade comp and the NSWRL/QRL might run their own 20s comp? That way the clubs aren't funding 3 teams and there is a better pathway to the NRL

jason taylor

Bench
Status
Not open for further replies.