What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured targets 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why would we want Roberts? We have to get rid of Aku or Jimmy first and I don't see that happening. Sione will have right centre as I believe the club will not attempt to re-sign Gagai for that reason unless there is a major stumble with the Sione deal. Ideally we would keep both Dane and Sione but our hands are tied thanks to our former mentor's screwing us by signing a clearly on the decline winger to a five year deal. That was a very poor call by Gidley to let that happen. He as CEO should have wanted guarantees of Bennett staying on before allowing it. Only Wayne would know his motivations for doing that but if he knew back then he was going to Brisbane it makes it all the more odd. It reminds me of the contract situation with Campo at Canberra. They knew his knees were crap but because they were losing their top stars they panicked in case cost them sponsors or the like.

Last edited:

1qaz

Juniors
Wayne wants Dane back at Red Hill and what Wayne wants, he usually gets.
It will be probably Gidley last season next year.
So the team needs cover for fullback and centre.
If Sione plays centre, whos going to play fullback?
Mamo? He's still another season or two away IMO.
If Sione plays fullback, then you going to need find another centre, unless Pat comes in.
James Robert would be good cover for both positions.

As for Kelly.. I think he would make a better combination with Mullen than Tyrone has.
I still think Tyrone is a better 9 than 7.
If the any of the halves go down next season, who comes in? Randell?
Kelly also covers fullback.
Always good to have depth in key positions.

K-Man

Bench
Pretty sure the realistic answers to a lot of those questions are Nathan Ross and Carlos Tuimavave.

Noname36

First Grade
Sione will have right centre as I believe the club will not attempt to re-sign Gagai for that reason unless there is a major stumble with the Sione deal.

Huh? Unless Gagai makes is abundantly clear that he doesn't even want to negotiate another contract here the club will try and re-sign him. Someone has got to play fullback in 2016.

Huh? Unless Gagai makes is abundantly clear that he doesn't even want to negotiate another contract here the club will try and re-sign him. Someone has got to play fullback in 2016.

Mamo maybe. The point with Dane is more about affordability, his loyalty to Wayne and the Matautia's potentially being a package deal. We also need to bolster the front row. Dane will be down the batting order for contract renewal and i would not be shocked if Sione ousts him from right centre if Aku fires. In that case Dane to fullback over Gidley. Will it happen though? Who knows.

Frederick

Staff member
Both have less than 10 first grade games between them.
And for good reasons

Nathan Ross hasn't even made his debut yet, but was one of the top players in nsw cup this season. Carlos has more utility value than Kelly, and isn't a dickhead off the field.

Tbh I hope gagai does piss off to Brisbane. Means we lose not only the worst defender in the game, but also one of the most annoying posters on this forum.

Noname36

First Grade
Mamo maybe. The point with Dane is more about affordability, his loyalty to Wayne and the Matautia's potentially being a package deal. We also need to bolster the front row. Dane will be down the batting order for contract renewal and i would not be shocked if Sione ousts him from right centre if Aku fires. In that case Dane to fullback over Gidley. Will it happen though? Who knows.

Unless Gagai has an absolutely huge 2015 he's not going to cost us an arm and a leg. The only other place I could potentially see being more attractive to him than us is Brisbane (and who knows really after they told his cousin to walk to accommodate derpius) and it's not like they would have an endless supply of money to throw at him when they already have to backend Boyd's contract heavily from what I've heard.

Has there even been any confirmation that Bennett even wants Gagai up there? Wayne took a lot of cracks at him in his pressers this season so even if he does try and recruit him up there I doubt it would be on a huge contract that we can't match. At the end of the day we're either going to need another centre or another fullback come 2016 (both if the Mata'utia's leave) and we won't get a better option than Gagai (unless of course someone plays fullback in the lower grades next year and absolutely kills it but we can't rely on that happening).

perverse

Referee
We can offer Dane something that Brisbane can't - fullback. It just depends on whether that's actually where he wants to play or not. If that's a legitimate carrot for him, we may stand a chance of keeping him. He's zero chance of playing fullback in Brisbane.

Sione might end up a better fullback, though. Sione might end up a better everything. I guess one of them is playing for Australia tomorrow and one isn't.

1qaz

Juniors
Nathan Ross hasn't even made his debut yet, but was one of the top players in nsw cup this season. Carlos has more utility value than Kelly, and isn't a dickhead off the field.

Tbh I hope gagai does piss off to Brisbane. Means we lose not only the worst defender in the game, but also one of the most annoying posters on this forum.

Awwww poor Freddie..
You're just still upset I caught you a CobeyDelaney out.
Cry me a river.

Yeah you're going to bank on a 25 year old journeyman to play in a key position?
Good luck.

1qaz

Juniors
Unless Gagai has an absolutely huge 2015 he's not going to cost us an arm and a leg. The only other place I could potentially see being more attractive to him than us is Brisbane (and who knows really after they told his cousin to walk to accommodate derpius) and it's not like they would have an endless supply of money to throw at him when they already have to backend Boyd's contract heavily from what I've heard.

Has there even been any confirmation that Bennett even wants Gagai up there? Wayne took a lot of cracks at him in his pressers this season so even if he does try and recruit him up there I doubt it would be on a huge contract that we can't match. At the end of the day we're either going to need another centre or another fullback come 2016 (both if the Mata'utia's leave) and we won't get a better option than Gagai (unless of course someone plays fullback in the lower grades next year and absolutely kills it but we can't rely on that happening).

What cracks in the presser? There was the only the one time really when he referring to the centres having off days but that was more of a dig at BJ.

PhilGould

Bench
What cracks in the presser? There was the only the one time really when he referring to the centres having off days but that was more of a dig at BJ.
If he was referring to BJ then I'm certain he's lost the plot. BJ is far more consistent than Gagai.

1qaz

Juniors
If he was referring to BJ then I'm certain he's lost the plot. BJ is far more consistent than Gagai.

More consistent at coming up with brain explosions? coach killers? match game changing errors/penalties
Dane may miss some tackles but he doesn't do the stupid shit that BJ comes up with.

Dane Gagai

Games - 24
Errors - 16
Penalties Conceded - 4

Joey Leilua

Games - 22
Errors - 28
Penalties Conceded - 15

Allstar Knights

Juniors
I know who is more damaging of the two and it's not Gagai.

Leilua is a match winner on his day. He had a period of poor games earlier in the year when the Knights were going terrible, but he came out of that playing great football week-to-week like he did all of 2013 with us.

Knight Vision

First Grade
Wayne wants Dane back at Red Hill and what Wayne wants, he usually gets.
It will be probably Gidley last season next year.
So the team needs cover for fullback and centre.
If Sione plays centre, whos going to play fullback?
Mamo? He's still another season or two away IMO.
If Sione plays fullback, then you going to need find another centre, unless Pat comes in.
James Robert would be good cover for both positions.

As for Kelly.. I think he would make a better combination with Mullen than Tyrone has.
I still think Tyrone is a better 9 than 7.
If the any of the halves go down next season, who comes in? Randell?
Kelly also covers fullback.
Always good to have depth in key positions.

I believe the reason Bennett talked up Sione was to ever so subtly let Gagai know he wont be missed leaving the Knights. Gagai will be gone after next season. Think about it, he wouldnt let Sione speak to the media because " an 18 yr old doesnt need that shit " and then the next minute is claiming him to be a future all time great of the game and a Newcastle Captain ? I thought it odd at the time.

If Sione is going to be such a star then he needs to be a spine player and not wasted in the centres. We need him to have his hands on the ball as much as possible.

PhilGould

Bench
More consistent at coming up with brain explosions? coach killers? match game changing errors/penalties
Dane may miss some tackles but he doesn't do the stupid shit that BJ comes up with.

Dane Gagai

Games - 24
Errors - 16
Penalties Conceded - 4

Joey Leilua

Games - 22
Errors - 28
Penalties Conceded - 15
Nah, more consistent at positively affecting the team's performance. I admit that he needs to get the stupid errors out of his game but if you truly believe Gagai is more consistent than Leilua then I don't think you can be helped.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts