What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured targets 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alex28

Coach
The salary cap is $6.8m next year, $7m in 2017 and god knows what in 2018 if we get a TV deal worth $1.5b-$2b. Paying $700,000/yr or ~10% for a player that will add value to many other players in our squad is money well spent.

Most other clubs pay a fair chunk of their salary cap for their spine, and in particular their halves. We don't have a player that we would have paid 10% of our cap for since Joey, and look how we have gone since...

The clubs attitude has clearly changed since we have kicked up a fuss. We need to be supportive of what is going on when it makes sense. Chasing an Origin half makes sense. I'm all for calling out when it doesn't, but childish comments that make no contribution just make our cause look worse...

Spot On

Coach
The salary cap is $6.8m next year, $7m in 2017 and god knows what in 2018 if we get a TV deal worth $1.5b-$2b. Paying $700,000/yr or ~10% for a player that will add value to many other players in our squad is money well spent.

Good point but I'd hope the club would pay 700K for a player that's actually worth 700K. Hodgko can tackle, pass and goal kick. Now, take the goal kicking away, is a halfback that can tackle and pass and some say organise, really worth 700K (and the rest) if he can't contribute to putting any points on???? Are players with limited skills now worth that sort of money these days???? Insane if true.

Last edited:

Nuffy

Bench
You know it!
I like the idea of the Rebuild thing initially but they aren't gonna change anything. I also couldn't cop the claim about us showing interest in Hodkinson was due to their pressure or something of that ilk.
I even liked the facebook page but I think it's abit naive to know what culture and attitude a club has based on 80 minutes of football each week.

Mozza you are absolutely entitled to your opinion but we have to try and do something, otherwise the club will never look at itself critically. Are we moving the needle, who really knows, but it's shows we care, most supporters just don't renew their memberships or stop going and that's not going to help the club in the longer term.

Did we drive the Hodgkinson decision, it's highly unlikely but maybe we caused them to have a better look at where the club is heading which is a positive thing.

Regarding culture, I think that we can also see there is something wrong and there has been for quite some time. Don't take my word for it, Joey has flagged it as well as any number of journos.

Let's just see where this ride takes us, we don't want to burn the joint down but critical reviews of orgs are important to ensure you have a hipo culture and organisation.

Alex28

Coach
Good point but I'd hope the club would pay 700K for a player that's actually worth 700K. Hodgko can tackle, pass and goal kick. Now, take the goal kicking away, is a halfback that can tackle and pass and some say organise, really worth 700K (and the rest) if he can't contribute to putting any points on???? Are players with limited skills now worth that sort of money these days???? Insane if true.

Cronk and Thurston aren't on the market mate. We can only sign what is available.

Realistically there is about half a dozen halves above him in the comp. He probably is worth $700K a year.

On top of that, if he remains with the club he can help attract players to the club, just like Gallen is able to do for the Sharks. You are buying more than just the player.

Last edited:

aqua_duck

Coach
Cronk and Thurston aren't on the market mate. We can only sign what is available.

But realistically he's the 7th or 8th best halfback in the comp, he's been playing behind a dominant forward pack and all you can say is he's been 'solid'. Maybe you and others think we're closer to the top than I do, in our current predicament, I personally think we need to be shrewd considering we haven't got the moment available as someone like the titans, and paying the 8th best halfback in the comp top 3-4 halfback money is hardly being shrewd

aqua_duck

Coach
Help attract players? I don't know about you but I can't imagine too many players lining up to play with a bloke who had less try assists than Tony Williams last year.

aqua_duck

Coach

Exactly, the guy is middle of the road halfback, a younger version of Peter Wallace. Here's a player who had less try and line break assists than Tony Williams last year. Problem is people are using Tyrone Roberts as some sort of benchmark to compare him to, and rate him as some sort of marquee player based on that.
Again not saying I wouldn't take him but he's a piece of the puzzle type player not the player you build your team around and use as some sort of tool to lure others with

mozza91

Coach
Mozza you are absolutely entitled to your opinion but we have to try and do something, otherwise the club will never look at itself critically. Are we moving the needle, who really knows, but it's shows we care, most supporters just don't renew their memberships or stop going and that's not going to help the club in the longer term.

Did we drive the Hodgkinson decision, it's highly unlikely but maybe we caused them to have a better look at where the club is heading which is a positive thing.

Regarding culture, I think that we can also see there is something wrong and there has been for quite some time. Don't take my word for it, Joey has flagged it as well as any number of journos.

Let's just see where this ride takes us, we don't want to burn the joint down but critical reviews of orgs are important to ensure you have a hipo culture and organisation.
Can't argue with that to be honest. We all want the same thing a successful football club.
I agree with alot that has been said especially about accountability and getting the best players to the club regardless of where they're from. I think if we can get Hodkinson and a decent front rower the recruitment and retention for next year will be pretty spot on. Only time will tell though.

aqua_duck

Coach
Can't argue with that to be honest. We all want the same thing a successful football club.
I agree with alot that has been said especially about accountability and getting the best players to the club regardless of where they're from. I think if we can get Hodkinson and a decent front rower the recruitment and retention for next year will be pretty spot on. Only time will tell though.

I agree with that but if we're paying hodkinson 750k or whatever crazy amount was being mentioned where are we going to find the money from to sign that front rower (or 2). I personally think we need another backrower as well.

mozza91

Coach
I agree with that but if we're paying hodkinson 750k or whatever crazy amount was being mentioned where are we going to find the money from to sign that front rower (or 2). I personally think we need another backrower as well.

With Sims, Rochow, Smith and Tapine I think we can make do. Hoping that Yates will get some game time at some stage next year and develop into a regular. I think a half and a prop would be needed more.

Burwood

Bench
Most other clubs pay a fair chunk of their salary cap for their spine, and in particular their halves. We don't have a player that we would have paid 10% of our cap for since Joey, and look how we have gone since...

The clubs attitude has clearly changed since we have kicked up a fuss. We need to be supportive of what is going on when it makes sense. Chasing an Origin half makes sense. I'm all for calling out when it doesn't, but childish comments that make no contribution just make our cause look worse...

I'm making childish comments??

Johns Magic

Referee

Realistically there is about half a dozen halves above him in the comp. He probably is worth $700K a year.

I applaud the club for chasing a good halfback. I just don't think Hodkinson is in that category.

I think we are going to pay Hodkinson the money you would have paid DCE or Foran.

I think we will pay him more than Sezer or Maloney who I consider better players.

I think we will pay him MUCH more than Elgey who I think will be a much better halfback than Hodkinson.

They were all guys off contract this year just off the top of my head.

I would have Hodkinson behind about 15 halves in the comp personally. Obviously I'm a massive seller of his and you can argue with me as to his worth. That's just my opinion, and I don't think it makes me or others whingers.

Sign any of those five above and I would have been stoked.

This has a massive Adam Blair to the Tigers feel about it. Top dollar for an average player in a strong side who "plays rep and has big game experience and will be a leader".

I hope I'm wrong on this one.

Noname36

First Grade
We need a class half. Nothing else will cut it.

Thing is though I don't think we do. We just need a half that is strong in the areas Mullen is weak in and Hodkinson certainly fits that. Do I think he's worth 700k? Absolutely not...but I think he'd come somewhat close in regards to his skill set being worth that to us.

Add in the fact that we're a basket case located in Newcastle and the market value for halves in general and I don't think that kind of money is all that crazy. I wouldn't like paying that much (and there's still no indication whatsoever that we've offered him anything close to that anyway) but given the circumstances I don't think he'd be a horrible investment regardless of the price (unless his injury concerns flair up but you can never predict that stuff).

K-Man

Bench
This is my main problem. He's worth Mullen money at best, but will cost us a lot more than that. People already get the shits about Mullens contract, Uates contract, etc. If Hodkinson didn't turn us into world beaters, and I don't believe he will, then we'll be sitting there looking at this contract in 12 or 24 months go and blaming the club for another huge f**k up.

He's very lucky to be in the Origin team, given that Des was going to drop him. Has been totally useless this year bar the last few weeks - but because Daley has shown some faith in him he's still commanding the massive money. Hodkinson won't have worked with a forward pack as shitty as ours. I don't think he would change what is going on here at the moment much at all, to be honest.

If we get him, I'll have to back him and cross my fingers... but I won't be upset if we miss out. The reason why I think it's more prudent to take a gamble on a cheapie at this point is that there are other parts of our squad that need class just as badly - and there are genuinely good gamble options in the halves on the market.

Put me down for a x2. I sincerely hope we're wrong.

Alex28

Coach
I applaud the club for chasing a good halfback. I just don't think Hodkinson is in that category.

I think we are going to pay Hodkinson the money you would have paid DCE or Foran.

I think we will pay him more than Sezer or Maloney who I consider better players.

I think we will pay him MUCH more than Elgey who I think will be a much better halfback than Hodkinson.

They were all guys off contract this year just off the top of my head.

I would have Hodkinson behind about 15 halves in the comp personally. Obviously I'm a massive seller of his and you can argue with me as to his worth. That's just my opinion, and I don't think it makes me or others whingers.

Sign any of those five above and I would have been stoked.

This has a massive Adam Blair to the Tigers feel about it. Top dollar for an average player in a strong side who "plays rep and has big game experience and will be a leader".

I hope I'm wrong on this one.
Or, we are looking to pay Hodgkinson 60% of what DCE and Foran are being paid next year? Let's face it - the price of a half has gone up substantially this year.

If Mullen was negotiating a contract next year, I reckon he'd be asking for close to $700K a season. Absolutely no doubt. Is he worth it? Depends how you look at it - $500K when the cap was $5M indicates that $700K at a $7M cap is on the money...

Last edited:

Alex28

Coach
Help attract players? I don't know about you but I can't imagine too many players lining up to play with a bloke who had less try assists than Tony Williams last year.

Gallen stated during the week him playing Origin and talking to other players help with the Sharks recruitment, and looking at the players they have recruited over the last few years shows there is value there.

Who do we have? A guy leaving the club and a guy making his debut. They aren't doing much for us in that respect.

We have the opportunity to sign a 25 year old incumbent halfback for NSW. He is there in a time in Origin where they are talking of sticking with players. A player in an influential position is a great opportunity to sell the club from within.

There is more than what he can do on the field - but if we don't have anyone playing Origin selling the club isn't really going to help get other top line players to the club.

The club has to cop the fact a halve's value depends on the number of them left on the market. Hodko's manager know this. He has all of a sudden become the blue chip on the market. I will say this for us. Canberra and the Titans up until recently would attempt to sign anyone and anything that became available on the market. It was a truly laughable situation. I am still of the view that Blake Austin could be another Barba until proven otherwise. It took him until 24 years of age to break out. If he is this good at the end of 2016 then I am the first to put my hand up. Kid can play. His consistency is yet to be shown in a big pressure game though. Exactly why Daley is yet to pick him IMO. He is also playing behind a huge pack of forwards. You could say hodko has that in his favour but he does not have Blake's skill set.

I get the doubts. You may all be right. However when was the last time we threw caution to the wind? If I could sign one half it would be Soward. I believe his brilliance is never going to get it's dues. That bloke is probably the most consistent half at winning pressure games off of big plays we have seen in years. I think he has sunk us at least twice for the Dragons from field goals at our home.

We have offered Hodko between 500 and 600 k a season over three . It won't matter. I believe he will sign with the Titans. We have come up a little short is my info.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts