What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured targets 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jono078

Referee
Hodkinson is 27 this year and its a myth he carried anyone to a grand final, they made the grand final 2 years early with Kris Keating in Hodkinson's place, when you have those kind of troops around you then it's not hard to just keep it simple, under no pressure to create anything (and didn't). Not saying he's a bad player and I'd welcome him but people are making out that he's in the JT/cooper Cronk class of halfback, he simply isn't, in fact I he'd be about middle of the pack out of 16 halfbacks for mine.
As for Cornish, he's still a young kid and he did well when Williams was hurt, and Williams was made to look good when Austin exploded and Williams just happened to be in the side. You might look and see oh he's not in first grade at the moment but Blake Austin was struggling for a first grade spot this time last year, Ben Hunt was in the same boat 2 years ago, anyone who watches any lower grades or seen Cornish play in the juniors would've seen a player who was clearly a cut above, and he'd cost 150k not 700k
100% agree with this. Cornish would allow us to strengthen other areas of the team too.

I think Hodkinson would be a great fit here, but not for a huge salary and 3 years. We can't make him a top 3 paid halfback in the game.

aqua_duck

Coach
Hodkinson doesn't create much and to be fair doesn't have to because they're pack is dominant most games and their defence can hold teams out, we have none of that going for us

Knight Vision

First Grade
Hodkinson is 27 this year and its a myth he carried anyone to a grand final, they made the grand final 2 years early with Kris Keating in Hodkinson's place, when you have those kind of troops around you then it's not hard to just keep it simple, under no pressure to create anything (and didn't). Not saying he's a bad player and I'd welcome him but people are making out that he's in the JT/cooper Cronk class of halfback, he simply isn't, in fact I he'd be about middle of the pack out of 16 halfbacks for mine.
As for Cornish, he's still a young kid and he did well when Williams was hurt, and Williams was made to look good when Austin exploded and Williams just happened to be in the side. You might look and see oh he's not in first grade at the moment but Blake Austin was struggling for a first grade spot this time last year, Ben Hunt was in the same boat 2 years ago, anyone who watches any lower grades or seen Cornish play in the juniors would've seen a player who was clearly a cut above, and he'd cost 150k not 700k
If JT is a 10 , Hodkinson a 5 and Tyrone a 1 where is Cornish on the scale at this present stage ?

Maybe our style of play might be more suited to Hodko. The bloke does play behind the biggest pack the game has ever seen. They are also very skilled. Graham is a halfback in a props body.

slotmachine

First Grade
I'm sort of torn. Yes it's fantastic that the club has acknowledged Roberts isn't the answer, but getting into a bidding war and heavily backending a Hodkinson deal scares me. You probably get Cornish for 200k and he gives you 60% of Hodkinson now, with the potential to get better.

aqua_duck

Coach
Hodkinson is solid, you know what your going to get from him, and he's a nice piece to have in your puzzle but he's not a player you hinge your future on and build a team around. In 2011 manly were in a very similar predicament with Hodkinson, Hodkinson wanted big money to stay and even though manly knew he was a good young half they chose to let him go and go with a young guy named Daly Cherry Evans. Not saying Cornish is in DCE's league but on a value for money scale he gives you a lot more, overall he's probably 60% the player is but he'd cost 1/4 as much and has more room for improvement.

aqua_duck

Coach
Admittedly I havent seen all that much of Cornish but from what I have seen am not sure he offers all that much

Probably the best halfback in NSW cup, I know junior credentials are hit and miss but he's got a very impressive CV, NYC team of the year in 2012 and 2013, junior kangaroos, NSW under 20's, Darren Lockyer medallist, NSW residents last 2 years. Hasn't really gotten a proper chance to cement a spot in first grade the same way Blake Austin was given a proper chance at Penrith and wests

Frederick

Staff member
Probably the best halfback in NSW cup, I know junior credentials are hit and miss but he's got a very impressive CV, NYC team of the year in 2012 and 2013, junior kangaroos, NSW under 20's, Darren Lockyer medallist, NSW residents last 2 years. Hasn't really gotten a proper chance to cement a spot in first grade the same way Blake Austin was given a proper chance at Penrith and wests

*cough*Beau Henry*cough

Zoidberg

First Grade
So, it was mentioned that we might be looking at getting someone in for the remainder of the season before the June 30 deadline, it's June 30. I take it we're stuck with what we have for the remainder of the year.

TooheysNew

Coach
So, it was mentioned that we might be looking at getting someone in for the remainder of the season before the June 30 deadline, it's June 30. I take it we're stuck with what we have for the remainder of the year.
Good.

I'd prefer that to spending money on somebody who realistically isn't going to make a f**k of difference to our final ladder position for the rest of the year.

Swarzey

Bench
Cornish vs Hodkinson is risk vs safe. Cornish COULD be the halfback we need, one that ticks all the boxes vs Hodkinson who we KNOW will fit perfectly into the side and ticks all the boxes needed. Not saying that Cornish can't or won't be that sort of player, he's certainly a good back up plan but I just can't see why we shouldn't fight for Hodkinson's signature when we know exactly what we'll get and we know it's needed.

Sironen was signed and has flown down. He was supposed to join training today.
At what level he trains at is the question.

I was hoping for another but I reckon that will be it. Is it the end of the 30th? Still have 8 hrs left if so. lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts