What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured Targets 3

Still Nutty

Juniors
I'm pretty happy that we're only offering a short contract for 1 year..... If he can stay on the park next year and earn a longer one then good on him.......

I suspect the issue now is what he gets offered for next year from us or anybody?! As I understand it, he is only contracted with us to the end of this season(?)...if that is the case he is in a pretty poor bargaining position for next year with that Pec problem seeing him out for the rest of his current contract.

The funny thing with him is the injuries aren't generally chronic, recurring problems (e.g. not structurally/joint based problems) apart from the bulging disc issue a few years back, which seems to have been resolved through the surgery - each of the recent ones have been a different unrelated problem (Broken Arm, Pectoral tendon tear, etc.)

What do others think from here?

My opinion is that he would be somebody I still want signed up (for next year) but there needs to a real consideration on what sort of coin that is, based on the lack of return he has provided on his contracts to date. Personally, I still rate him as a solid journeyman forward that is worth a decent paycheck IF HE CAN STAY ON THE FIELD...will be interesting to see what Brown and the club do with Rochow from here

Last edited:

Glendale

Juniors
I think when he first came to us he had back issues and he's been dealing with them his whole career.

I want to keep him because I think when fit he is a solid forward and one of our best. I'm not sure what sort of coin he'd be on atm, but he shouldn't be getting an upgrade.

I'd table a one year offer with an option for a second year in our favour of he gets through injury free next season.

slotmachine

First Grade
Not new info really, he's from central coast and wants to be closer to home.

Bird, Kostjaysn, re-sign Rochow and two other cheapies is what we will get.

Greg Bird is the most suspended NRL player in history, or is approaching that milestone. The NRL judiciary seem to have a vandetta against any minor indiscretions a knights player makes so I doubt Bird will play more than half a season whilst he is here.

I'm less likely to look at signings after last weeks performance. If Sims steps up the way he did, or close to it, consistently and Rochow can show the same form as last week we'll be heading in the right direction.
I was previously all for letting Rochow go. As long as it's 1 year without a big payment I'm ok with him.

We have this Scottish dude coming. Brown is still looking for another mobile second rower and a "tall centre".I'd give Barnett an extension.

Brown says fullback will depend on the performance of the likes of Mamo over the next 6 - 8 months. So, Gagai definitely isn't assured a long-term spot at fullback. I reckon we will see him go at the end of his contract if not earlier.

Pauli, King and the Safitis seem to have dropped off a bit. You can excuse them for being in a losing culture, lack of experience around them and the rigours of NRL. Maybe they will cut it - maybe not.

Kostjaysn seems pencilled in. I can't see room for Randell when Brown sees Kostjaysn as having utility value and has confidence in Levi.

As well as Kostjaysn, I'd just go for a name and experienced 2nd rower or lock to replace Smith next year. I don;t think we have a hope of Bird being on the scene next year. I'd still go for Scottbut only on 1 year with maybe an option.

Brown also reckons our 16's and 18's are coming along well. They are long off. We'll need to stabilise the reserves and NYC to keep a flow going..Some of the guys we have debuted this year will drop down but we made need to buy in. As long as we buy in potential NRL players and don't just fill in the gaps.

I'm way more positive about the future.Uncertain about who we have debuted that will cut it though. It's up to them really.

If we dont manage to sign anyone in the forwards surely we offer jezza another year even though he wants to retire, im sure he could easily go another year.

If we dont manage to sign anyone in the forwards surely we offer jezza another year even though he wants to retire, im sure he could easily go another year.
He's struggling this year. Brown mentioned he'd need to 'manage' Smith to get him through the year - bench time, time off training and resting for games.

perverse

Referee
Got no idea how you can have the bloke behind Tyler Randell.

To be fair, it's not like it's an enormous gulf between them. They're both relative plodders... but one has played with good players and can maybe tell our players how the good players became good players, even if he can't use much of the advice himself.

Joel-22

Juniors
I'm less likely to look at signings after last weeks performance. If Sims steps up the way he did, or close to it, consistently and Rochow can show the same form as last week we'll be heading in the right direction.
I was previously all for letting Rochow go. As long as it's 1 year without a big payment I'm ok with him.

We have this Scottish dude coming. Brown is still looking for another mobile second rower and a "tall centre".I'd give Barnett an extension.

Brown says fullback will depend on the performance of the likes of Mamo over the next 6 - 8 months. So, Gagai definitely isn't assured a long-term spot at fullback. I reckon we will see him go at the end of his contract if not earlier.

Pauli, King and the Safitis seem to have dropped off a bit. You can excuse them for being in a losing culture, lack of experience around them and the rigours of NRL. Maybe they will cut it - maybe not.

Kostjaysn seems pencilled in. I can't see room for Randell when Brown sees Kostjaysn as having utility value and has confidence in Levi.

As well as Kostjaysn, I'd just go for a name and experienced 2nd rower or lock to replace Smith next year. I don;t think we have a hope of Bird being on the scene next year. I'd still go for Scottbut only on 1 year with maybe an option.

Brown also reckons our 16's and 18's are coming along well. They are long off. We'll need to stabilise the reserves and NYC to keep a flow going..Some of the guys we have debuted this year will drop down but we made need to buy in. As long as we buy in potential NRL players and don't just fill in the gaps.

I'm way more positive about the future.Uncertain about who we have debuted that will cut it though. It's up to them really.

The only players who I think are/should be pencilled in for 2017 are:

2.Nathan Ross
4.Pete Mata'utia
6.Jarrod Mullen
7.Trent Hodkinson
9.Danny Levi
11.Sione Mata'utia
12.Mitch Barnett

14.Daniel Saifiti
15.Korbin Sims
16.Sam Mataora

Any (or even all) of the three players on the bench could force their way into the starting side.
What do people think of playing Korbin at lock when Smith leaves?

Glendale

Juniors
Korbin is too inconsistent for me. Will play 3-4 quiet games before playing one where he plays well like last week. Even when he does play well he's got the Sims gene of trying a bit too hard and getting a bit too agressive. If we surrounded him with 1-2 very consistent props who give you the same week in week out then we could make the most of Korbin's 'good days'. But as of right now, Korbin is our most experienced forward signed for next year and our forward leader, and a leader he is not. Smith's replacement has to be someone with experience, good in defence and someone who will set a good example for our young forwards on and off the pitch. I'm not keen on Greg Bird as I think he's the opposite of that but he might be sadly all we can get. My vote would go to Elijah Taylor, who's still off contract. Tigers would be stupid not to re-sign him but we should have a go at him.

Spot On

Coach
We should have had Elijah Taylor here already. I'm assuming he wanted to stay in Syd or weren't we interested? ???

Joel-22

Juniors
can we f**king sign someone? Or show some interest in signing someone? Norman to Raiders, Farah to Dragons, Heighington to Tigers, Storm's young gun Josh Kerr who can play second row or prop to Dragons.
Meanwhile, no one to knights the nrl bottom feeders.

Alex28

Coach
can we f**king sign someone? Or show some interest in signing someone? Norman to Raiders, Farah to Dragons, Heighington to Tigers, Storm's young gun Josh Kerr who can play second row or prop to Dragons.
Meanwhile, no one to knights the nrl bottom feeders.
Well... If you take any credence in The Lurker... We are apparently talking to Farah...

Nuffy

Bench
I think all the media talk is feed by the club to make the fans feel as though we are serious.

Look at the Bird stories, the only agreed facts are that no one has spoken to his management, he's shown no interest, he's under contract and no ones approached tha Titans. Hardly a done deal.

We've got cap problems you know..........

Frederick

Staff member
I think all the media talk is feed by the club to make the fans feel as though we are serious.

Look at the Bird stories, the only agreed facts are that no one has spoken to his management, he's shown no interest, he's under contract and no ones approached tha Titans. Hardly a done deal.

We've got cap problems you know..........
99% of the rumours we've been linked to have been created out of thin air by bored people on Facebook or unreliable league supporter pages, all coming to the conclusion that since we're shit, we must be panicking and looking to sign anyone and everyone.

Barry Toohey from daily tele pretty much debunks every single one.

Latest posts