What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured Targets 3

Spot On

Coach
Apparently 3 clubs willing to sign Rochow. Parra, Sharks and ???

Sharks have offered extensions to Lewis (1 year) and Tagatese ( 2 yrs). If one decides to leave then the Sharks will sign Rochow.

Apparently the Knights would only offer him a 1 year deal.

I'm sort of pleased with this scenario. I know others don't agree. However, if he can make good coin somewhere else I wish him all the best, especially if he can get a start at the Sharks.

His manager wouldn't be silly enough to recommend to him to sign at Parra - surely.

perverse

Referee
I just don't care what happens with Rochow, personally. Hasn't been on the field for a meaningful amount of time for a long time. He's a handy player when fit, but I'm not going to lose sleep if he leaves.

Jono078

Referee
Robbie is this decade's version of Daniel Abraham.
We all usually appreciate him when on the field but all these injuries will take their toll and he's not worth keeping on the books because he struggles to play half a season.

Mr_Knightside

Juniors
This is a great analogy, he's a talented player and one of the few we've got who would probably make the top 17 at most clubs. However his record with injuries has really held him back, I haven't got any stats for this but I feel like he's missed on average about 10 games per season for the last 3-4 years.

The problem for me is he seems to usually take a few weeks to really get going then he inevitably gets injured again. So we see these little flashes of form from Rochow in between long injury lay-offs.

I'd like us to keep him on a short contract (1-2 years) without paying too much for him, then he can prove that he should get a longer contract with more money by playing well and staying on the field. But if he wants to be paid elite player money he should look elsewhere.

I had to go back and re read that RLW article. I thought he had resigned but it said close to resigning. I don't see how Cronulla can keep signing people unless they expect someone like Holmes is definitely going to leave.

I realise that Lewis and Tagatese will probably go but I'd imagine people like Jack Bird will be looking at huge upgrades.

voltron

Juniors
one of the big problems with Uate moving is that he doesnt want to move
So not sure how this will work

Bring it home Knights

First Grade
If we have to pay out half his salary or more then i say keep him. Part of the reason we r in the salary cap mess that we r and have been for a number of years is because of all the players that we have paid to play at other clubs.

Should we try and sign Jamal Idris? There is a DT article about him wanting to come back to League. Can't read it in full because it's behind a paywall.

Obviously whoever he signs for would probably only offer a lowball contract at least for year 1 until he proves he's in it for the long haul.

Noname36

First Grade
It's funny - Idris was awful most times I saw him play but I also have vivid memories of him cutting us a new one on repeated occasions.

Mr_Knightside

Juniors
Jamal Idris would be just about the worst signing we could make at this point.

The guy is blessed with unlimited talent but has pissed it up against a wall. He's got the worst attitude of just about any player I've seen play the game, he's had a couple of massive contracts in his career and hasn't delivered on his massive pay cheque, then has carried on like a spoilt brat when he doesn't get his way.

We've had way too many guys like this play for our club over the last decade so we certainly don't need another one.

You guys are probably right on Idris. I just thought given we will struggle to get top line players it may be worth a 1 year gamble on $150K and if he doesn't deliver cut him loose or an upgraded contract if he consistently plays at the standard most people know he can.

otori

Juniors
Idris would be like Leilua on crack. Play a few great games, get everyone excited then do stupid lazy crap when he gets comfortable. I don't think he will respond to a harsh taskmaster like Brown either. He's had those coaches before and he didn't react to them.

Spot On

Coach
Apparently 3 clubs willing to sign Rochow. Parra, Sharks and ???

Sharks have offered extensions to Lewis (1 year) and Tagatese ( 2 yrs). If one decides to leave then the Sharks will sign Rochow.

Apparently the Knights would only offer him a 1 year deal.

I'm sort of pleased with this scenario. I know others don't agree. However, if he can make good coin somewhere else I wish him all the best, especially if he can get a start at the Sharks.

His manager wouldn't be silly enough to recommend to him to sign at Parra - surely.

You have to question the way Rochow's manager has gone about his new contract. It has turned into a farce. Injured again. Not good.

Glendale

Juniors
You have to question the way Rochow's manager has gone about his new contract. It has turned into a farce. Injured again. Not good.

I wouldn't say its a farce... He had offers from a few other clubs before he got injured then he decided to wait till he got back from injury to make a decision, now he's injured again and it looks like he won't get the money he wanted from anyone. As I said in the game thread this morning, we should only be offering him a one-year deal. With no upgrade. It's too risky to go with anything longer then that. If he can get a better/longer deal somewhere else then let him go.

I feel bad for him because he has been playing really well he just can't stay on the park. I think the same thing happened to him last season, he came back from injury and played really well for 2-3 games and then got injured again.

Spot On

Coach
It's a farce. He should have signed after the first offer from the club. He is Injury prone and his manager has played a poor hand which will probably cost Rochow some decent coin. From all reports the other couple of clubs weren't interested in him as a priority signing, just a fill in if they couldn't tie up the blokes they really wanted. This injury has to put more doubt in their minds about keeping him on the park versus the dollars he wanted.

Mr_Knightside

Juniors
I do feel for Rochow a bit on this one, however he made the choice to continue to test the market for other offers after receiving a fair one from us and it's a gamble that it looks like he may have lost.

I'm pretty happy that we're only offering a short contract for 1 year. If he can stay on the park next year and earn a longer one then good on him but he's going to have to suck up the pride and bite the bullet at some stage. Injuries haven't been kind to him and I'm glad the club doesn't want to fork out big $$$ on a guy who's played <10 games a year over the last 3 years or so.

Latest posts