What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured Targets 3

Jono078

Referee
Newcastle’s beaches are better than Sydney’s.
I’m not going to debate one way or another. I love Newcastle and wouldn’t want to be anywhere else.

But a perspective thing is Bondi is the place to be, esp if you’re a young bloke like him looking for fit babes being populated all over the place and mingling with higher status people in the area etc.

macavity

Referee
Not if you're single in your 20's with a stack of cash.
Young dumb footy players want to live in Sydney or the GC mate. Pretending otherwise is just a cope.

I was once those things, still didn't want to live in Sydney.

Sydney is too over the top for a lot of young people from the country or small towns.

If what you say was universally true the likes of Newcastle, Penrith (hardly Sydney) and Canberra wouldn't be able to field competitive junior teams. And we can.

mozza91

Coach
I’m not going to debate one way or another. I love Newcastle and wouldn’t want to be anywhere else.

But a perspective thing is Bondi is the place to be, esp if you’re a young bloke like him looking for fit babes being populated all over the place and mingling with higher status people in the area etc.
Sydney is definitely more desirable for younger people not arguing with that. Bondi Beach is massively overrated though. Overcrowded and too expensive (pretty much like Sydney itself)

I live 2 minutes from Redhead beach which is better than any beach in Sydney.

I think money and the chance to win a competition would be more of a draw than living in a big city for Dom. We can only offer 1 of these unfortunately so I’m not too confident about retaining him.

Knight Tales

Juniors
If Dom does leave then no one can argue he doesn’t deserve big things. I would not be surprised though if the thinking is Bradman Best may be let go when OC to keep him and shift him to the centres.

Old School

Juniors
Agree Burwood, Best in the beginning showed promise but that is now a distant memory. When not injured has, no idea how to position himself to threaten in attack. Runs the same flat attacking structure all the time, gives himself no momentum coming onto the ball to use his size & speed to create havoc as he should. Have heard its the fault of his inside men not giving good early ball & although that is partly true, you don`t have to be Einstein to position yourself a few steps deeper to create some room for yourself & have some options to get through the defensive line. It`s just not the sign of a smart footballer, very robotic, repeat, repeat, repeat & fail yet again. His defence consists of jumper grabbing & 9 out of 10 times missing, no putting his ample frame into it at all. A bloke of his size should be doing a lot of damage in defence as well, cutting them in half, but that takes commitment & technique. Maybe a bit of intelligence wouldn`t go astray either but judging by the hillbilly hairdo he gets around with that`s non existent. The final ingredient missing is coaching, would a decent, smart coach not pick up on these deficiencies in his game & actually do something about it? Once again O`Brien is MIA!

Yosh

Coach
If the other 16 NRL clubs had Best and Young on their books, all 16 of them would keep Young and let Best go. We probably let Young go and upgrade Best because we don't have any other option.

slotmachine

First Grade
To'o and JACs deals aren't in there as it's an article written in April last year

It's for 2022 salaries so will include JAC (who's only on 550k) but not To'o's extension (whatever that is).

Just have a look at the table in the article, centres are paid more in every band except players 45-60, and the discrepancy is more pronounced at the top.

But sure, the vibe of the thing means wingers get paid more I guess, even if they really don't and the best centres get paid almost 40% more than the best wingers.

perverse

Referee
It's for 2022 salaries so will include JAC (who's only on 550k) but not To'o's extension (whatever that is).

Just have a look at the table in the article, centres are paid more in every band except players 45-60, and the discrepancy is more pronounced at the top.

But sure, the vibe of the thing means wingers get paid more I guess, even if they really don't and the best centres get paid almost 40% more than the best wingers.
I think the perception is that wingers are more important these days so they are worth more. What's missed there is that it's still an easier position to play - especially in D - and thus the supply/demand equation is different. Clubs will back themselves to replace a winger without much fuss.

Edit - I should clarify that I mean wingers are more important now than they used to be - not necessarily more important than centres, although I suppose you could debate that until you're blue in the face if you wished

Like i said, times are changing. Wingers salaries are trending upwards and centres down

Maybe not there yet like i thought but its certainly not going to be long before winger over take centres in the pay packet department

macavity

Referee
We should have plenty to keep Dom without getting rid of anyone we want to keep.

If we can't.... it says so much about how unequal the playing field is.

Latest posts