What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured Targets 3

Woody90

Juniors
Toohey's News

- “Take it as read” that Kurt Mann, Hymel Hunt, Brodie Jones, Jack Johns & Adam Clune won’t be re-signed for next season. Enari Tuala may be retained.
- Michael Maguire unlikely to be a target due to being viewed as too similar to AOB. Toohey names Paul McGregor, John Morris & Josh Hannay as the 3 leading contenders, with Hannay’s rave reviews as QLD assistant coach and long history with Peter Parr possibly making him the dark horse.
- Rory Kostjasyn still in limbo without a deal for next year. The belief is the club is keeping the spot open in case an incoming coach wants to bring in his own staff.
- Knights had been advertising the head of recruitment role but “failed to attract a candidate with the right credentials”.
- Confirms Chris Vea’ila (Cronulla), Kobe Rugless (Manly) & Mitch Henderson (Canberra) have all been released immediately.
- Parr confirms Adam Pompey is a target and says they’re waiting to hear back from his manager. Warriors want to keep him but looks unlikely with RTS coming back.

Ugh. None of those coaches listed fill me with any confidence. Mary in particular is a horrifying prospect. You have to really question the likes of Parr and Gardner if Mary really is seen as a good option.

Pompey will also be an awful signing.

Only good news is all the dead wood we’re getting rid of.

slotmachine

First Grade
Pompey will also be an awful signing.

Can't spin replacing Dom with Tuala or Pompey as anything other than depressing.

Only good news is all the dead wood we’re getting rid of.

Replacing them with a bunch of kids like Rivett, Keely and Bryan which might be a good thing in a year or two but 2024 feels like more pain

Woody90

Juniors
Replacing them with a bunch of kids like Rivett, Keely and Bryan which might be a good thing in a year or two but 2024 feels like more pain

Yeah but it’s not like the guys we’re letting go have helped us despite their experience and I say they would be on more money than the kids are. The only one I might have been keen on keeping is Jack Johns, especially since we might be losing Frizz and Fitz (but again he’s probably not a first grade standard second rower week in week out).

macavity

Referee
Yeah but it’s not like the guys we’re letting go have helped us despite their experience and I say they would be on more money than the kids are. The only one I might have been keen on keeping is Jack Johns, especially since we might be losing Frizz and Fitz (but again he’s probably not a first grade standard second rower week in week out).

if his last name was anything else you wouldn’t be interested in keeping him. Is not NRL standard.

Pleb

Juniors
Toohey's New

- “Take it as read” that Kurt Mann, Hymel Hunt, Brodie Jones, Jack Johns & Adam Clune won’t be re-signed for next season. Enari Tuala may be retained.
- Michael Maguire unlikely to be a target due to being viewed as too similar to AOB. Toohey names Paul McGregor, John Morris & Josh Hannay as the 3 leading contenders, with Hannay’s rave reviews as QLD assistant coach and long history with Peter Parr possibly making him the dark horse.
- Rory Kostjasyn still in limbo without a deal for next year. The belief is the club is keeping the spot open in case an incoming coach wants to bring in his own staff.
- Knights had been advertising the head of recruitment role but “failed to attract a candidate with the right credentials”.
- Confirms Chris Vea’ila (Cronulla), Kobe Rugless (Manly) & Mitch Henderson (Canberra) have all been released immediately.
- Parr confirms Adam Pompey is a target and says they’re waiting to hear back from his manager. Warriors want to keep him but looks unlikely with RTS coming back.
I’ll be very happy mann if he’s shown the door

Knight Tales

Bench
Madge being similar to AOB is something that is a rather obvious statement in terms of style and approach. Hannay is an interesting one. But again can we afford a ‘rookie’ coach, albeit he has been an interim at the Sharks. A strong assistant is a must. I wonder if McDermott stays on.

Last edited:

Jono078

Referee
Madge being similar to AOB is something that is a rather obvious statement in terms of style and approach. Hannay is an interesting one. But again can we afford a ‘rookie’ coach, albeit he has been an interim at the Sharks. A strong assistant is a must. I wonder if McDermott stays on.
I don't know but Hannay gives me vibes of being a great assistant but not "THE" guy to be leading a club.

That was a very depressing Toohey's news.

perverse

Referee
Morris is the right one I think, so we'll go and grab another unproven assistant for sure. We love doing the same shit over and over and expecting something different to happen.

Yosh

Coach
Every candidate ever has had question marks before they were picked. Bennett, Bellemy, Robinson whoever had question marks before they took on their coaching gigs. AOB has no question mark. He is terrible and has to go.

perverse

Referee
All the potential candidates have a question mark over them unfortunately
I think he did alright at the Sharks with what he had, and as has been pointed out by others in other threads - the real attractive thing about him for me is he successfully brought kids through to first grade.

I know it's a low bar, but I don't think we can do better at the moment. I like that Morris has proven success as a head coach at lower levels too. AOB with zero head coach experience has left a really bitter taste in my mouth. At least get someone who has held the clipboard before.

After Morris I'd probably just stick with McDermott, but it sounds like he's a spent force and doesn't particularly want the job. And there's no question mark over Mary. He's just a spud

Woody90

Juniors
I don't know but Hannay gives me vibes of being a great assistant but not "THE" guy to be leading a club.

That was a very depressing Toohey's news.

The one thing Hannay has going for him is that I’ve heard a few people praise him for having a good understanding of the modern game, whether he could do the other things that comes with being a FG coach though like motivation, man management, etc. very much remains to be seen.

Would definitely take him or Morris over Mary, but that’s not saying much. I’d also keep AOB over Mary FTR.

perverse

Referee
The one thing Hannay has going for him is that I’ve heard a few people praise him for having a good understanding of the modern game, whether he could do the other things that comes with being a FG coach though like motivation, man management, etc. very much remains to be seen.

Would definitely take him or Morris over Mary, but that’s not saying much. I’d also keep AOB over Mary FTR.
Yeah, I'm not even sure switching to Mary would be worth the disruption. Boggles my mind that he's even in the picture. Who is his agent?

Loose Cannon

Bench
I’ve always thought Morris did exceptionally well, considering the circumstances, in his stint at the Sharks. Of the three, he’d be my choice.

How McGregor’s name is even mentioned defies belief. Although it would hilariously make O’Brien’s NRL coaching resume read that his time at Newcastle was bookended by useless, bald, former Dragons failures.

Only the Knights could manage that kind of incompetence.