What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured Targets 3

aqua_duck

Coach
The truth is that the best ones ARE lazy... because they've only had to try half as hard to dominate the rest of their age groups. God this club pisses me off. This is super common in all walks of life. These kids have to be managed properly and challenged to take the next step, not discarded.

You just won't find that many top tier kids that are also highly motivated and hard workers at that age. They need to be developed into men. The hard workers are the strugglers - the battlers that had to try twice as hard as everyone else to compete. They have very low ceilings, and end up making quality squad fillers/2nd tier contracts.
Or at the knights they get multiple year contracts with player options and the coach’s undying affection

Lots of criticism of Levi but there's hardly a Knights player who doesn't cop it and that's often deserved.

Something I did notice when Levi would come on for us and slot into dummy half is that the team seemed more structured behind him.

aqua_duck

Coach
I reckon Toby Sexton is a better prospect than Tanah.
From what I’ve seen Sexton is a better organiser/game manager, more of a traditional half whereas Boyd has abit more individual flair but the guy we should really be making a play for is Latu Fainu and his brother Sione who seem to be on the outer at Manly. Would happily offer manly a fantastic young player in Crossland, a one time fringe origin player in Mann and a NSW origin prop in Saifiti

Lots of criticism of Levi but there's hardly a Knights player who doesn't cop it and that's often deserved.

Something I did notice when Levi would come on for us and slot into dummy half is that the team seemed more structured behind him.
This is some serious rose coloured hindsight regarding Levi

Danny could run and make 1000 ducks at the line for a 0.001% success rate. Was a very average hooker outside of that and his career reflects it

aqua_duck

Coach
This is some serious rose coloured hindsight regarding Levi

Danny could run and make 1000 ducks at the line for a 0.001% success rate. Was a very average hooker outside of that and his career reflects it
Very average agreed, I’d say on the lower end of NRL standard dummy halves but still a major upgrade on guys like Crossland, Mann and Randall who I don’t even consider to be NRL standard

slotmachine

First Grade
General theme seems to be:

We have the best pre-season ever.
The team rips in for the first month.
It dawns on them that bringing consistent effort and execution is hard, while drinking 20 cold beers after a loss is easy.
The season descends into a shit show.
Repeat.

PhilGould

Bench
A few immediate transfers among lower grade players;
- Kobe Rugless off to Manly with Fletcher Myers returning to the Knights. Both were on development deals so presumably will continue to be at their new club.
- Chris Vea'ila released to Cronulla. Rumour on the other Knights forum that Kayal Iro will be heading our way but haven't seen anything to back that up, and he's still named for the Sharks this week.

Alex28

Coach

It dawns on them that bringing consistent effort and execution is hard, while drinking 20 cold beers after a loss is easy.
Repeat.
It’s been like that for 20 years honestly.

Woody90

Juniors

Repeat.

This might be an unpopular opinion but I don’t think bad attitude of laziness has been the problem for the majority of the side this year. There was definitely a massive culture problem last year, but I don’t see that being the biggest issue now.

To me the sad thing is that they look like they’re working hard and trying but they’re still not good enough. They’re playing with no confidence and have had their heads down since they started losing. There have definitely been some lapses in effort which has led to leaking some soft points, but I also see them holding back terrified to make a wrong defensive decision. I also completely see what Hastings means about the side having execution problems because the side is tense. For all reports they’re all quite fond of the coach, and they’d know what’s going to happen if they don’t start winning.

PhilGould

Bench
Toohey's News

- “Take it as read” that Kurt Mann, Hymel Hunt, Brodie Jones, Jack Johns & Adam Clune won’t be re-signed for next season. Enari Tuala may be retained.
- Michael Maguire unlikely to be a target due to being viewed as too similar to AOB. Toohey names Paul McGregor, John Morris & Josh Hannay as the 3 leading contenders, with Hannay’s rave reviews as QLD assistant coach and long history with Peter Parr possibly making him the dark horse.
- Rory Kostjasyn still in limbo without a deal for next year. The belief is the club is keeping the spot open in case an incoming coach wants to bring in his own staff.
- Knights had been advertising the head of recruitment role but “failed to attract a candidate with the right credentials”.
- Confirms Chris Vea’ila (Cronulla), Kobe Rugless (Manly) & Mitch Henderson (Canberra) have all been released immediately.
- Parr confirms Adam Pompey is a target and says they’re waiting to hear back from his manager. Warriors want to keep him but looks unlikely with RTS coming back.