What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured Targets 3

Mr_Knightside

Juniors
SKD is shit, he's only managed a long first grade career and a bunch of tries because he's always played on the end of a pretty damn good backline at the Roosters. Even then he's still good for a couple of bad errors every game.

This is not the kind of player we need, I don't see him adding any more than the backs that we've already got.

Scar Tissue

Juniors
I hope we don't spend money just for the sake of it, most players mentioned are excess baggage in anyones language. The salary cap is a joke, once again the rich get richer through third party bullshit payments that Newcastle & the other have nots can't compete with. Rather than a level playing field, we are going back to the bad old days of buying a comp with the right corporate connections & backing of NRL power brokers. It never gets addressed properly, Warren Ryan once put forward a proposal of a points ranking system for players, ranking them on a number of criteria & therefore each club would have a points limit total to get under for the season rather than dollar value. Discounts would be offered for years of service at the club, junior product, etc to allow for clubs to hold onto what they've created. In other words it would reward junior developement & building teams from the ground up as opposed to cherry picking all the talent available at the time. It would be very hard to formulate properly but worth a go instead of the fake system we now operate under. At least it would limit what the chosen few could buy no matter how much bogus cash they could throw at them.

Wato

Juniors
We're keen on Shaun Kenny-Dowall according to the Sydney Morning Herald.

Why? His among the worst outside backs in th Comp, conintually forces passes and makes errors coming off his own line the fact he is keeping Manu out of the side is a joke. If it was 4 years ago he would be a decent buy but his not up to NRL standard these days.

I reckon this is a new tactic. We offer other club's players large sums to drive up their price and put cap pressure on them. If you can't beat them on the field then...

I'm with others in that I would have liked to have Bird in the team but I can think of other priorities. We need an experienced Prop. Don't just buy anyone or go way over because we have been put off by all we have missed out on.

We have potential halves coming along but I reckon that if we buy a half we go for an experienced leader. We also need to take goal kicking ability onto consideration for when Hodko goes. We'll need an ace goal kicker.

perverse

Referee
It's probably just his manager trying to drum up any interest in the bloke whatsoever. They all know we have cash, everyone knows we have cash.

I just can't see why we'd want him.

Spot On

Coach
Anyone know when Ese'ese and Pangai Jnr come off contract?

I'd be starting a bidding war over those 2 when the time comes. Really up the anti and make sure if the Broncos want to keep them they pay absolute top dollar for both of them.

Spot On

Coach
Well, it wont be Andrew Gee. Who's in charge of collecting cash from the leagues club now days??

As long as we make them work for it and drive their price as high as possible we've done our job. We must take it upon ourselves to 'keep the bastards honest' as no one else will.

All i can say is if broncos get bird then sucked in to them 1.2 million a year is overs when thats what cronk and foran will be asking for.as much as i would like bird to come to the knights, i think they would be a better buy for that much coin.

macavity

Referee
All i can say is if broncos get bird then sucked in to them 1.2 million a year is overs when thats what cronk and foran will be asking for.as much as i would like bird to come to the knights, i think they would be a better buy for that much coin.

It won't be 1.2 on the cap mate.

The Broncos could still sign Cronk on top of that if it didn't make even more of a mockery of the concept of the cap.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
The one thing i always find funny about people complaining about the 3rd party deals is that there is such an obvious solution to the problem. Its just that everyone expects solutions to be handed to them...

If the Bronx get such a huge advantage from being based in Brisbane, why dont other teams move to Brisbane? Basic free market.

If Newcastle is such an important market for the NRL, then the threat should be enough to push them into finding a solition.

If not, maybe the thret of losing the team will be enough to get Newcastle people motivated.

If not, then maybe the club os better off somewhere else.

Dont bitch about how unfair it is when you are the one making it unfair for yourself...

Spot On

Coach
If true, that is simply insulting to both Newcastle and Cronulla. Quite frankly, it's a massive insult to Bird.

macavity

Referee
You sound like the type of guy who thinks trickle down economics works, Doctor.

And the $700k is *on the cap. Who knows what the actual in the pocket figure is.

Joel-22

Juniors
the longer the whole bird situation goes on the less I want him. Maybe it's a defence mechanism.

Would prefer to focus our energy on JGraham, Matulino and a proven half/no.6 i.e. Townsend, Brooks, Roberts, Widdop. I'm afraid of putting all our eggs in one basket with Bird and then missing out.

slotmachine

First Grade
a proven half/no.6 i.e. Townsend, Brooks, Roberts, Widdop. I'm afraid of putting all our eggs in one basket with Bird and then missing out.

townsend - the guy who was hooked for bird in the sharks semi last year?
Roberts - tyrone? lol
brooks - garbage and has re-signed with tigers anyway

Latest posts