What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured Targets 3

Joel-22

Juniors
townsend - the guy who was hooked for bird in the sharks semi last year?
Roberts - tyrone? lol
brooks - garbage and has re-signed with tigers anyway

townsend > hokko
roberts > hokko
brooks > hokko

Widdop is the pick for mine. If we picked up Widdop and Graham I'd be fairly happy. I think Pythian could make a really good first grade half. His kicking game is on point, he defends well and I know for a fact he is a phenomenal trainer.

Spot On

Coach
townsend - the guy who was hooked for bird in the sharks semi last year?
Roberts - tyrone? lol
brooks - garbage and has re-signed with tigers anyway

I couldn't entertain the first 2 unless they were used as depth and applying their trade in reserves.

Haffa

The one thing i always find funny about people complaining about the 3rd party deals is that there is such an obvious solution to the problem. Its just that everyone expects solutions to be handed to them...

If the Bronx get such a huge advantage from being based in Brisbane, why dont other teams move to Brisbane? Basic free market.

If Newcastle is such an important market for the NRL, then the threat should be enough to push them into finding a solition.

If not, maybe the thret of losing the team will be enough to get Newcastle people motivated.

If not, then maybe the club os better off somewhere else.

Dont bitch about how unfair it is when you are the one making it unfair for yourself...
How am I making it unfair?

Other teams don't move to Brisbane because the broncos negotiated the exclusivity. News was never going to introduce competition to themselves.

The club would be better off elsewhere, in a better market with more sponsorship opportunities. Newcastle is in a state of rebuild and the corporate money in the region is already kicking in. The club struggles to get sponsors at times let alone third parties.

If the NRL would ever allow it we should eat up all of Northern NSW and tap into all of that region, we'd become a CCoast/Newcastle/hunter/northern NSW team. It's not going to happen though and the status quo will continue.

Pedge1971

First Grade
The one thing i always find funny about people complaining about the 3rd party deals is that there is such an obvious solution to the problem. Its just that everyone expects solutions to be handed to them...

If the Bronx get such a huge advantage from being based in Brisbane, why dont other teams move to Brisbane? Basic free market.

If Newcastle is such an important market for the NRL, then the threat should be enough to push them into finding a solition.

If not, maybe the thret of losing the team will be enough to get Newcastle people motivated.

If not, then maybe the club os better off somewhere else.

Dont bitch about how unfair it is when you are the one making it unfair for yourself...

They have tried to put a second team in Brisbane mate. You know what happened?

Caped Crusader

Juniors
If the NRL would ever allow it we should eat up all of Northern NSW and tap into all of that region, we'd become a CCoast/Newcastle/hunter/northern NSW team. It's not going to happen though and the status quo will continue.

How exactly are ther NRL limiting the Knights in this regard? I dont think they are tell ing them to "stay out of the Nth coast" mate. Its likely the Knights just dont have the resources or nouse to be trying to claim that much territory

Scar Tissue

Juniors
Looks like Bird is no hope, Widdop would be a lot better than what we are used to but Maloney would be much, much better as he is a real footballer in all situations. He is originally from the Central Coast which would help, but the Sharks would have to cut him loose to fit a Cronk, maybe?. Foran would also be a great fit as he competes on every play and is relentless, he inspires the guys around him with his energy & in your face attitude & I would love some of our players to be like that, remember BK?. Foran plays straight & direct which puts the defence in two minds & gives his outside backs some space to attack not run sideways.Foran was never given the full credit he deserved when playing with the Manly Dirtbags, he was the difference between very good & ordinary. Other than that Taylor from GC is the only other one worth the money, but Im sure they won't be letting him go anytime soon, the rest are way too soft or inconsistent , save the money for a rainy day.

Scar Tissue

Juniors
Caped Crusader is on the money, we all know about the Knights lack of resources( $ & feet on the ground) but I think our worst problem is the lack of a smart operator for a CEO. When you look at the decisions made on his watch( pre Mooney) I can't believe he is still there. Most others are gone but not our Matt, he seems to have a teflon coating. Mooney is doing a good job, but imagine him working with someone who has a clue, rather than someone who would be struggling to work out correct change for his lunch order! We might actually have a bright future then with astute recruitment & someone to tap into the business world.

TooheysNew

Coach
Caped Crusader is on the money, we all know about the Knights lack of resources( $ & feet on the ground) but I think our worst problem is the lack of a smart operator for a CEO. When you look at the decisions made on his watch( pre Mooney) I can't believe he is still there. Most others are gone but not our Matt, he seems to have a teflon coating. Mooney is doing a good job, but imagine him working with someone who has a clue, rather than someone who would be struggling to work out correct change for his lunch order! We might actually have a bright future then with astute recruitment & someone to tap into the business world.
I'd be interested to hear exactly what you are basing this on, or what you think he's done wrong.

slotmachine

First Grade
Gidley said last year the knights had the fourth highest commercial revenues in the comp for 2015. No idea how accurate that is, but pretty fair result if true. And being owned by the NRL probably restricts the amount of TPA cheating they can get away with.

Scar Tissue

Juniors
Buying rubbish players at Mega cost, appointing Rick Stone, lack of big money sponsors, obvious lack of decent talent scouts in the bush, lack of engagement with local grass roots football and the list goes on. The buck stops with the CEO. The guy is a nice & decent bloke but not a businessman, was only appointed as a friendly face by Christopher Skase, sorry Tinkler to get into the club & we saw where that went!

slotmachine

First Grade
Most Knights fans logic:
Club makes a decision they agree with - Great stuff Browny.
Club makes a decision they disagree with - Gidley is useless piss him off.

Browny has a job in PR if coaching doesn't work out for him.

In terms of locally developed talent, in a perfect world the 2018 side only have 5 locals in it, Sione, Saifiti x 2, Lamb, Barnett.

And how many Newcastle rep stars are running around for other teams? Boyd Cordner is about it. We told Latrell Mitchell he wasn't wanted, might have been the right call seeing as he got dropped for being fat LOL.

perverse

Referee
I was gonna say... what advantage is having local player concessions when it will benefit other clubs more than us? The Panthers would love it, for sure. Brisbane would thrive even more than they currently do.

For the amount of people that play football in our region, we must have one of the worst junior development per capita in the NRL.

slotmachine

First Grade
The Warriors would cut their wage bill in half, they have the NZ spine FFS.

Raiders too, but they're more into poaching these days.

We haven't produced a NRL standard outside back since Aku, he debuted nine years ago. The Panthers have about 17 at the moment.

perverse

Referee
I was gonna say... what advantage is having local player concessions when it will benefit other clubs more than us? The Panthers would love it, for sure. Brisbane would thrive even more than they currently do.

For the amount of people that play football in our region, we must have one of the worst junior development per capita in the NRL.
In fact, to hammer this point home - check out this article:

Remove the space between nrl and news to use the link... apparently LU doesn't get along with this site or whatever, but the article is totally benign.

Since the inception of the holden cup - we are middle of the pack as far as producing first graders goes, in quantity anyway, but gee there's some plod in our list. That's actually the good news, believe it or not. We are dead last in producing origin players (equal with Titans on a duck egg) and have the equal lowest number of international reps as well (equal with Parra).

That's shameful for a supposed Rugby League heartland. Absolutely shameful. Concessions for junior players would probably sink us entirely, going by those numbers.

Latest posts