What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured Targets 3

Spot On

Coach
Anyone that thinks we're not going to pay overs for players next year(s) are kidding themselves. I'm just happy to be signing an experienced forward to be honest. We need guerra to get in cronks ear now lol

Pay some decent overs for the good ones.

Is Guerra a good one?

Frederick

Staff member
Pay some decent overs for the good ones.

Is Guerra a good one?
Guerra is being signed to fill a particular role in the team, this is Browns recruitment strategy. Whereas Hagan, Bennett and Stone recruited players by name and reputation only, Brown is taking more a moneyball approach by looking at what the team is lacking and trying to find the perfect players to fill those needs. Means we may not end up with the biggest names in the comp, but we can get cut-price options that will be better for the team in the long run.
This is evidenced by the rumored contract for SKD...1 mill-ish over three years. For a player with his experience at club and international level, it's a steal. Sure he may not be as good as he used to be, but he would bring a wealth of experience and, really, is a like for like replacement for Gagai at half the cost

Spot On

Coach
I'm aware Fred.

I've been saying as much for nearly 2 years.

I hope Guerra does the job for us. Not cheeseburger it like so many did that Brown has now punted - Sims x2, Uate, etc. We cant have that shit here anymore.

There must be reasons for Guerra's really poor run of form. Anyone have insight??? Maybe this change will be good for him. But he's going from a club with everything to a club with nothing. He must have said all the right things to Brown.

I also hope we have 3 or 4 better signing coming up.

K-Man

Bench
I also hope we have 3 or 4 better signing coming up.

I hope so too, but realistically is that likely? Despite his form issues, Guerra is an Origin player. We are not going to sign 3 or 4 players "better" than his record, experience or highest ceiling when in form.

Graham would be better, Cronk or Maloney in the halves would be better, but not many others we will even be in the market for.

I'd say from here, if Brown signed the following or similar it would be a reasonable result: SKD, Watson, Graham / Tolman, Ese'Ese, and anyone who is a direct replacement for another player we don't re-sign (like a backup Hooker if we won't have Kostjasyn or Randell for example).

Can we honestly hope for better than that? And of that list, how many are "better" than Guerra?

Spot On

Coach
K-Man

Guerra got into that QLD origin team on outstanding form for an extremely good club side with an unbelievably strong roster. A premiership roster.

However, all things being equal, he would have been dumped long ago if NSW had got their shit together and won the last 2 series - dont you think?

Do you believe he deserves his origin spot anymore?

Yes I think we should be hoping for better than Guerra but that depends on where you rate him.

There's been plenty of blokes who have played rep footy that didn't deserve the jumper over others and plenty who deserved a jumper that never received it.

K-Man

Bench
If we did sign the above and re-sign a few current players worth keeping, the team would look like this:

1. Ponga
2. Sio
3. SKD
4. P Mat
5. Ross
6. Watson
7. Lamb
8. D Saifiti
9. Levi
10. Graham / Tolman
11. Buhrer
12. S Mat
13. Guerra

14. Phythian
15. Barnett
16. J Saifiti
17. Ese'Ese

18. Elliot
19. Feeney
20. Wardle
21. Pauli
22. Stone

K-Man

Bench
K-Man

Guerra got into that QLD origin team on outstanding form for an extremely good club side with an unbelievably strong roster. A premiership roster.

However, all things being equal, he would have been dumped long ago if NSW had got their shit together and won the last 2 series - dont you think?

Do you believe he deserves his origin spot anymore?

Yes I think we should be hoping for better than Guerra but that depends on where you rate him.

There's been plenty of blokes who have played rep footy that didn't deserve the jumper over others and plenty who deserved a jumper that never received it.

Don't disagree with anything you've said, I guess it all depends on your criteria for "better". I don't overly rate Guerra and I suspect we will never see the player he was again. I also agree he is lucky to be an Origin player.

However, 3 or 4 players better than him? Who? Is Ese'Ese better? Is Kasiano better? Is a rookie half like Watson better? Is SKD on the slide better?

I'm just being realistic. In all likelihood, Guerra will be the 2nd or 3rd best player we sign after Ponga (on potential) and hopefully either one big name half or one big name prop. I can't see how we achieve a better result than this based on where things stand now.

K-Man

Bench
We can return to this conversation next year. I want better than Guerra too, but I doubt we will sign more than one more player considered better.

I absolutely hope you're right and I'm wrong.

Spot On

Coach
No, I understand what you are saying. However I don't want to compare an experienced player like Guerra with rookies such as Watson and EseEse.

I'd like to think with the $$$ we have we could secure 3 blokes in really good form with decent experience ready to go next year that will compliment our young blokes.

That said, the only way is up for Guerra as he has surely hit rock bottom. May well be a masterstroke from Brown and I sincerely hope so. Knowing what's been going on with him for the last 2 yrs would also help shed some light on his poor form.

K-Man

Bench
Yeah let's hope he is one piece in the puzzle, especially the forward puzzle.

I would be extremely happy if we signed one very good, proven middle forward and a talented half.

K-Man

Bench
That's interesting. Sounds promising, let's hope we can pick up a few handy players from the three clubs mentioned.

K-Man

Bench
People need to readjust their view of what 500k means now. It sounds a lot, but times have changed.

The average salary under a $9million cap will be $300,000. That is for your middle of the road players just making up the roster, while anyone who has real potential or has achieved anything at all in the game will clearly be above that. So how is 500k for an established rep forward 'massive overs'?

Glendale

Juniors
Willing to trust Brooney's judgement on this. Give how prudent and maticulate they've been and how often they've repeated that we are only going to sign players who fit into what the club is trying to build, and that we don't want to repeat the mistakes the club has made in the past, I'm gonna trust that they've made the right decision here.

mozza91

Coach
People need to readjust their view of what 500k means now. It sounds a lot, but times have changed.

The average salary under a $9million cap will be $300,000. That is for your middle of the road players just making up the roster, while anyone who has real potential or has achieved anything at all in the game will clearly be above that. So how is 500k for an established rep forward 'massive overs'?
As has been mentioned it's all about the other signings we make. Guerra being Rep level is abit deceiving considering Queensland only have about about half a dozen realistic back row options to pick from.

At his best Guerra is worth the money but based on his last couple of years it is overs, not massive but still overs. If he brings his 2013-15 form he's our best forward but I'd rank him below Buhrer and about equal to or slightly below Sione on his recent form.

If he's our marquee signing and close to highest paid player we are looking at another spoon next year. If he's the 4th or 5th biggest signing we'll be doing well.

Tommy Smith

Referee
Guerra has been much better this year. His defence has improved considerably from 2016 and he's much fitter and running harder too.

Still not at his 2012-2015 level but a vast improvement on last season - which can be viewed as a write off for our entire squad.

The key will be that he comes to you guys with the right attitude (and not viewing it as a retirement fund after a half decade chasing success ala Issac Luke).

So again if he really puts in - which, again, can be an issue as you know all too well with the Sims boys (girls) - then he'll be a very solid signing.

He's equally adept at lock or on the edge where he runs great lines so he has the potential to be a versatile asset.

I wish him all the best and hope you get the best out of him.

Latest posts