What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured Targets 3

Tinkler pretty much buried us with third parties cos everyone knew he was a financial time bomb and refused to have their name associated with him. We were never strong in TPAs to begin with but he was the poison chalice that made it near impossible. Also we are run by the governing body and still lost money last year.

aqua_duck

Coach
As much as I'd like to blame the club, the players via their managers need to try and explore these commercial opportunities abit more. I know low level MMA fighters who nobody has ever heard of who have sponsors, these guys are on TV every week playing at the top level of a mainstream sport, if none of them can get any outside endorsements than they're obviously not trying very hard.

Burwood

Bench
McGuigan should be hitting up all his buddies that own wineries/breweries.

Even some of the big mining unions should be encouraged to come on board. There's got to be some value in using a player in promotional materials to help drum up some new members, especially in this day and age when member numbers are falling.

We haven't got the same market like some Sydney clubs and Brisbane, but there's no reason why the club can't get creative.

macavity

Referee
Surely Petquarters could use a new spokesman...

A fair few of them shop with us!

on topic, yes - we have players promoting butchers, car yards, etc - but these were deals worked out AFTER they were already Knights players, not as *nudge nudge wink wink* totally not inducements to sign.... so they have no impact on our cap, they are just extra income for the players involved.

Knights play by the rules. That is where we fail. We need drag em out hard nosed dealers who sell the club ruthlessly. We need an aggressive push into the Central Coast market at a minimum. Acknowledge the club's flaws and move forward. Yesterday was great for nostalgia but it is not reality. WESTS need to come on board and soon. They owe the Knights far more than we owe them. We have given that joint free publicity for years.

Last edited:

Bring it home Knights

First Grade
Please tell me if im wrong but I was under the impression that the club was not allowed to play a role in teeing up third party sponsorship for players.

Spot On

Coach
Please tell me if im wrong but I was under the impression that the club was not allowed to play a role in teeing up third party sponsorship for players.

From NRL.com

Unlimited - Players can earn unlimited amounts from corporate sponsors who are not associated with the club and who do not use the game's intellectual property (no club logos, jerseys or emblems) provided these are pre-approved. These agreements may not be negotiated by the club as an incentive for a player to sign a contract, nor can they be guaranteed by the club.

And here is why I have trouble believing clubs, sorry players and their managers, are easily finding money from companies to top up their earnings. Not only that, it is NOT GUARANTEED which makes me even more sceptical that this system of payment is one a manager would be advising his client to jump at,especially if it is providing him with a subatantial % of his income that is not under the salary cap.

Last edited:

Spot On

Coach
A little more info from NRL.com:

Third Party Agreements

Third party agreements are payments made by companies directly to players. There is no restriction on the amount a player can earn through third party agreements where he is being paid for his own intellectual property, without the need to employ club logos or names and where the company involved is neither a club sponsor nor are they acting on behalf of a club to secure the player's services. An example of this is a player promoting a brand or product, for example, Billy Slater and Australian Bananas.

Many players have third party agreements that are outside the salary cap. Individual players registered third party agreements totaling in excess of $15 million in 2015.

All third party agreements must be registered and approved beforehand. This is to ensure that they do not become a way for clubs or players to use sponsors or third parties to undermine the salary cap and also for the game to ensure the protection of club and game intellectual property. There are provisions for club sponsors to enter into agreements with elite players under the Marquee Player Agreement allowance.

Spot On

Coach
Of course, there are no provisions for say 300K to go missing from a leagues club without explanation of what the money was for or where it went. Anyone involved may politely decline to comment and the world keeps revolving and all is well.

perverse

Referee
Of course, there are no provisions for say 300K to go missing from a leagues club without explanation of what the money was for or where it went. Anyone involved may politely decline to comment and the world keeps revolving and all is well.

Or blokes mysteriously get the sack when the heat turns up too high. It's a farce, a huge elephant in the room for the NRL at the moment.

macavity

Referee
From NRL.com

Unlimited - Players can earn unlimited amounts from corporate sponsors who are not associated with the club and who do not use the game's intellectual property (no club logos, jerseys or emblems) provided these are pre-approved. These agreements may not be negotiated by the club as an incentive for a player to sign a contract, nor can they be guaranteed by the club.

And here is why I have trouble believing clubs, sorry players and their managers, are easily finding money from companies to top up their earnings. Not only that, it is NOT GUARANTEED which makes me even more sceptical that this system of payment is one a manager would be advising his client to jump at,especially if it is providing him with a subatantial % of his income that is not under the salary cap.

Can't be guaranteed by the club, but a contract is a contract - If a company *totally* not in any way associated with Nick Politis offers a Roosters recruit a *fantastic promotional opportunity* should they happen to play in the Eastern Suburbs, the income is still "guaranteed" by contract.

Spot On

Coach
Don't know about that Mac. There's plenty of examples of blokes who have had their 3rd party $$$ fall through.

perverse

Referee
Yeah, I think it lands somewhere in between. The club can't guarantee the income, and I don't believe that they do.... but they certainly can, seemingly, negotiate the deals and include them in their contracts as legitimate third party sponsorships, which flies in the face of the black and white salary cap rules on the NRL website.

I would say that these deals do come with a "don't worry mate, it's as good as guaranteed" from the club negotiating the deal, but there's always going to be the odd one that does fall through - someones back isn't scratched the right way, etc.

Last edited by a moderator:

Zoidberg

First Grade
Out of the few 3rd party deals that fall through you can bet they're most likely to be from a struggling club with little 3rd party agreements as it is.

macavity

Referee
Don't know about that Mac. There's plenty of examples of blokes who have had their 3rd party $$$ fall through.

Yes, from povvo clubs like us (Boyd) and the Dragons (Gasnier).

Strangely the rich clubs don't have that problem. Managers would be well aware of that.

mozza91

Coach
Has it been confirmed that McManus is retiring? I don't recall seeing any sources demonstrating this.

I heard from a pretty reliable source that he was told by a doctor months ago that he'd have to retire. It's weird that nothing has been officially said by he or the club.