What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured Targets 3

Choppy182

Juniors
With the interchange rules changing, we really needed to hunt for more forwards, especially those with the ability to offload. That will be worth gold next year.

Spot On

Coach
Off-contract Sydney Roosters forward Boyd Cordner ticks all the boxes for the Newcastle Knights
Pamela Whaley FOX SPORTS December 18, 2015 6:13PM SHARE

NEWCASTLE coach Nathan Brown has made no secret of his interest in the market — specifically for a player of Boyd Cordner’s calibre.

The mass departure of experienced players has left the Knights skint on depth across the paddock, but Cordner ticks all the boxes for the rebuild.

The 23-year-old Roosters star comes off contract at the end of 2016 and Brown admits the club is keen to lure the representative second-rower back home, but his asking price could be a major roadblock.

“Boyd Cordner is a local product, he’s a very good player and he’s young so he fits a lot of ticks for our club,” Brown told foxsports.com.au.

“We’re not interested in buying older players at the moment. Boyd is probably old experience-wise but he’s only 23 or 24.

“He’s so young and he’s local. He’s a player that ticks a lot of areas where we’re looking to go. “Finance will play a part in that, but he definitely ticks a lot of boxes if you’re looking at what he brings to this club.”

Cordner was born in Taree and played junior football with the Knights before he was spotted by Roosters recruitment manager Peter O’Sullivan in 2008.

He was quickly snapped up on a three-year deal that Newcastle could not match.

Once again, money could stand in the way of the Knights getting their man.

Cordner’s manager Dave Riolo denied that the Knights have made a formal offer.

However, Brown has worked with Cordner during Origin camp as the Blues assistant coach and believes he is perfect for where the club is heading.

Although the Knights are rumoured to have a stash of cash left from offloading the likes of Kurt Gidley, Beau Scott, Tyrone Roberts and Chris Houston, Brown said the club is not in a position to compete for star signings.

Brown admitted that while the club is low on depth in the forwards, the backline needs bolstering as well.

The Knights are yet to pin down a number of positions in most areas except for the halves, and Brown said the club could do with an experienced outside back to beef up the stocks.

Although he says he was interested in players such as Tim Lafai, Peta Hiku and James Roberts, there is simply not enough cash in the bank to compete for their signature.

“We haven’t got any money to compete with those guys, from where we sit at the moment, financially we’re not in a position to compete with some of the other clubs,” he said.

“All those players are big earners. We’re not on the market for that type of player at the moment. Sure, one of them would be nice.

“An outside back would be nice, an experienced one, but we’ll shop around and try and find a good younger one who we feel is ready to play first grade now who can also progress forward with the club.

“We’ve got positions there for 2016 ... our backline is not nailed on, our forward pack is not nailed on, but there’s a lot of opportunities at the moment.”

Brown said the club is in no rush to sign anyone who becomes available — they want to be smart with the way they recruit.

And if they start 2016 with the squad on hand, then so be it.

“I’m sure there are squads out there who are fairly stable and most people know where they sit, a fair bit of ours will come down to the pre-season and how they trial,” he said.

“It’s a good spot to be in. We’ve lost a lot of experience which some people see as a downside, but I think it’s a positive for the club.

“It gives us a chance to make some big changes and to give the younger players an opportunity and that will unfold over the next three or four months.”

http://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl...ewcastle-knights/story-e6frf3su-1227668064406

If we get Boyd Cordner it will need someone local to dig deep into their pockets as a third party. Hagan's departing words highlighted what we know. We are appallingly behind the other clubs in 3rd party dealings. No one will say why.

slotmachine

First Grade
Because the Knights are about as popular with the corporate world as Hitler.

Say you had the choice of tipping your money into an NRL club.

You could look at the Knights, with zero star players, a proud history of embarrassing off-field incidents, irrelevant on the field for 10 years and management so inept the NRL now owns the club.

Or say, the Broncos or Souths. Star players out the wazoo, on FTA TV every weekend, perennial contenders and management that can sweep a scandal under the carpet quicker than you can say Arizona arrest or prescription drug overdose.

Last edited:

perverse

Referee
Pretty much, we've buried ourselves over the past 10 years. We're in a smaller market, but I don't think many businesses inside our own market want a bar of us anymore, either. Who the f**k is newpave?

PhilGould

Bench
Noticed an unfamiliar face in a picture the Knights put up on twitter, so I did some snooping and I'm 99% sure it's Tekina Vaiela. I don't remember an official announcement about it so I'm assuming he's just a NSW Cup signing, just as Uiti Baker is.

Here's some highlights of him
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ttb9ufahR9s

Doesn't look particularly skillful but he's a big man so hopefully Browny can make something out of him.

Seems clear from what Brown is saying that McManus won't be back. I didn't expect him to be.
I can see us swapping around wing and fullback during both pre-season and during the year.
Ross doesn't seem to be a long term prospect from what Brown is saying.

Bring it home Knights

First Grade
Jimmy would have to be on decent coin. Hopefully that money on top of what we have left under the cap will go towards a good outside back and forward.

Spot On

Coach
So am I led to be believe that no players at the club receive even $1 dollar in TPA money?

Apparently the current total of TPA money for all clubs in 2015 was 15 million. So if you average it out, less than a million per club and about $40K per player. Now, you can read into those numbers a million different ways and put together a million different scenarios but until the NRL publishes the detail and how much each TPA money each NRL club currently has "on the books" then we can only guess. I'm sure most of you can work out which clubs have the bulk of the NSW/QLD/AUS/NZ/England rep players and assume those clubs are currently enjoying the bulk of the 15 million in TPA money. Is there any other way of looking at it?????

Newcastle currently have Trent Hodkinson (yet to play a game for the club) and Gagai (chosen due to injury) who played origin in 2015. We were also one of the few NRL clubs to have no Kiwi test squad players in 2015. In other words, we have f**k all reason to be anywhere near our cap limit as we don't have players here who should be commanding rep $$$$ nor should we be anywhere near our cap limit looking at the quality of our current squad.

There's no doubt that the club can not be as competitive as other clubs in the player market due to the disadvantage it faces with limited TPA dollars but geez we've got some blokes on huge dollars who have delivered f**k all for a long while now. Yes we probably had to pay overs to keep them, and that compounds the problem, but we've given a few more than overs. Double overs for some compared to their performances.

I hope Brown receives support from the faithful because he's telling as it is and really ramming home how diabolical the current cap situation is and putting all the pressure back on the existing playing group to actually perform at their best. I hope it works but feel there will be a group of overpaid 'stars' who will be waving goodbye to their NRL careers before seasons end.

Last edited:

Spot On

Coach
Browny definitely has no probs waiting it out for a bargain. Hopefully he can find a couple diamonds in the rough so to speak.

Mr_Knightside

Juniors
Players usually become abailable mid-season as well so don't rule out a mid season transfer or two even if we don't sign anyone before the season starts. I just hope we're able to get players in who are actually going to get better rather than guys who have already hit their ceiling.

macavity

Referee
So am I led to be believe that no players at the club receive even $1 dollar in TPA money?

Apparently the current total of TPA money for all clubs in 2015 was 15 million. So if you average it out, less than a million per club and about $40K per player. Now, you can read into those numbers a million different ways and put together a million different scenarios but until the NRL publishes the detail and how much each TPA money each NRL club currently has "on the books" then we can only guess. I'm sure most of you can work out which clubs have the bulk of the NSW/QLD/AUS/NZ/England rep players and assume those clubs are currently enjoying the bulk of the 15 million in TPA money. Is there any other way of looking at it?????

Newcastle currently have Trent Hodkinson (yet to play a game for the club) and Gagai (chosen due to injury) who played origin in 2015. We were also one of the few NRL clubs to have no Kiwi test squad players in 2015. In other words, we have f**k all reason to be anywhere near our cap limit as we don't have players here who should be commanding rep $$$$ nor should we be anywhere near our cap limit looking at the quality of our current squad.

There's no doubt that the club can not be as competitive as other clubs in the player market due to the disadvantage it faces with limited TPA dollars but geez we've got some blokes on huge dollars who have delivered f**k all for a long while now. Yes we probably had to pay overs to keep them, and that compounds the problem, but we've given a few more than overs. Double overs for some compared to their performances.

I hope Brown receives support from the faithful because he's telling as it is and really ramming home how diabolical the current cap situation is and putting all the pressUure back on the existing playing group to actually perform at their best. I hope it works but feel there will be a group of overpaid 'stars' who will be waving goodbye to their NRL careers before seasons end.

Yes, we have no TPAs at all. A few clubs have none or basically none. Purely coincidentally those clubs also tend to finish down the bottom of the ladder.

Spot On

Coach
Just ...... wow. I'd like to scream the TPA system must be changed but really it just highlights the total disconnect the community has with the club and NRL as a whole.

No third party? I call bullshit. I don't live in Newcastle but I find it really hard to believe that no Knights players are on non Knights related tv commercials advertising some sort of product on local tv.

Apey

Staff member
No third party? I call bullshit. I don't live in Newcastle but I find it really hard to believe that no Knights players are on non Knights related tv commercials advertising some sort of product on local tv.

Jarrod Mullen is always trying to sell me stuff from Singos..