What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured Targets 3

Frederick

Staff member

R1 - 26 yes.

After that - no.

The Roosters are now convinced he does not have the ability to get them the trophy.

But I take yours and others' points.
Didn’t Napa and JWH go missing big time in the finals last year?

Mr_Knightside

Juniors
...and we believe Pearce is the missing piece to get us into the finals?

He's a 238 game premiership winning halfback who has also been part of a successful team that has has finished top 2 in 4 of the last 5 years and would also be playing alongside several of his former Roosters teammates so would already have combinations with them. It's hard to see how he doesn't help us get into the finals.

Pedge1971

First Grade
The article posted above makes it seems like we are a good shot. Considering Quale and Gardiner are both going down to personally speak to Politis about it. Then factor in if there is any truth behind the roosters not wanting to let him go to a strong club like manly. I’d say we are now a decent chance.

The article above suggests the meeting is mostly about Gardner meeting Politis. But yes Pearce will be discussed..

Not sure how I feel. Everyone says Pearce will be great for Watson and Lamb but what about 600k Hodko?

When it comes down to it both have won premierships but Hodko win the origin the 1 series he played.

His form has more to do with body than ability but the brain is still there. He is as good a mentor as they would get with Pearce.

Pearce comes o a long term deal, Lamb goes and Cogger is already gone.

f**k it from what I saw from Lamb at the close of this year he has the ability to be right there with Ash Taylor and Cleary. Do we really wanna lose that?

Pedge1971

First Grade
He's a 238 game premiership winning halfback who has also been part of a successful team that has has finished top 2 in 4 of the last 5 years and would also be playing alongside several of his former Roosters teammates so would already have combinations with them. It's hard to see how he doesn't help us get into the finals.

Comes down to this. Do u want Pearce running us in 3 years time or Lamb? Cannot have both.

I would prefer to take my chances on Lamb.

Bring it home Knights

First Grade
I’m glad I’m not the one making the decision on Pearce. On one side of things, he’d cost a truckload of cash and we may lose lamb who appears to have a good future in the game. On the other side of things, our spine is insanely young and requires an experienced halfback. Good luck Browny!

Old dog

Bench
The more I read and the more I think about it I am tending towards not signing any other halfback, worried about the conflict and angst it may cause especially loosing Lamb.
Let's go with Lamb/Watson and Hodko/Cogger/Johns/Pythian for 2018 and see how it goes, it's still an exciting prospect.
Use money to be spent on Pearce for a experienced Prop and Centre and if need be buy a half for 2019 when Hodko finishes, and that can be a top liner if things don't work out or a backup if they do.

I get the impression that the reason brown making this move is that his next contract extension is based on performance clauses,which has been publicly address in the media.not knowing how big these goals have been set by gardner,it may have deviated brown long term plans and force his hand a little to pinch pearce for quicker results to secure his own future.we cant get the likes of maloney,ash taylor,cronk he is the next best thing.if ponga get hurt for a descent length of time,watson goes to fullback and lamb back in the starting side along pearce.

Burwood

Bench
Brown has been chasing a marquee half long before Wests came along and mentioned contract extensions or performance related clauses.

Hopefully with Buhrer, Heighington, SKD, Lillyman and Guerra in the squad next year, there’ll be enough on field experience to guide our young spine without us necessarily having that experience in the halves.

I know it sounds strange, but I think Hodkinson is an experienced half who could still bring a positive influence to the team. He won’t feature in our top 17 (if all goes well with injuries etc), but he seems to be a very good trainer, clubman and all round nice bloke. It would have to rub off on the young guys having a player like him around at training and on game day. I’d be happy to keep him in reserves on big money for 2018 if we werent able to snare that player we need (I’m not sure if Pearce is that player).

Bring it home Knights

First Grade
Brown has been chasing a marquee half long before Wests came along and mentioned contract extensions or performance related clauses.

Hopefully with Buhrer, Heighington, SKD, Lillyman and Guerra in the squad next year, there’ll be enough on field experience to guide our young spine without us necessarily having that experience in the halves.

I know it sounds strange, but I think Hodkinson is an experienced half who could still bring a positive influence to the team. He won’t feature in our top 17 (if all goes well with injuries etc), but he seems to be a very good trainer, clubman and all round nice bloke. It would have to rub off on the young guys having a player like him around at training and on game day. I’d be happy to keep him in reserves on big money for 2018 if we werent able to snare that player we need (I’m not sure if Pearce is that player).

When I used to play cricket, we had a player who was in his 40's who was the captain of a very young team. Occasionally he didn't play and watched the games from the sidelines and trained with up. The impact of that had a minor benefit to the team. When he played, the team grew legs due to his experience and guidance. Having Hodko use his experience to guide the team from the sideline or training paddock will do SFA imo. We no doubt already have a halves coach who can play that role. Unless Hodko gets onto the field and leads by example, then his impact will be very minimal.

Burwood

Bench
Maybe the solution is to give him an orange vest and a few drink bottles so he can be on the field for 4 tackles each attacking set? :p

BuderusIsaBeast

Juniors
Personally I would rather let the young combination grow together. I’m a big fan of all 4 of our young spine and would like to give them the oppurtunity to have an offseason and some games together.

BuderusIsaBeast

Juniors
Watching the World Cup if we need another outside back one of Justin Olum or Garry Lo would be great value for money. Also if rumours of Alex Walmsley wanting to come to the NRL are true we need to go hard for him. An outstanding English prop

Latest posts