What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured Targets 3

Swarzey

Bench
If the Roosters lose him, I'll be shocked. This is a club that's always multiple steps ahead in terms of managing their roster; they get their core handful of tremendous players, know how to pay them and rotate everything around them for years to come. I like to think soon enough we'll see Canavan install similar management approaches.

Anyway, cross Latrell off. The only way I can reasonably see us landing him is if we release Moga, SKD and Griffin and give Star SKD's spot, Levi full faith and drop Hunt down to Cup. Otherwise, we won't have enough of a lucrative offer to best Roosters and Souths.

On Mann, he's a great number 14 but so is Watson. Maybe it will work in our favour having two players who can play a real variety of positions but I feel we can't achieve much without a solid 6. I almost wonder if its better to not chase someone of Mitchell's standard and play the market over the next year or two to land a high standard 6.

Yosh

Coach
Mitchell wants to play fullback? Ponga is light years ahead of him in every facet of the game. If he wants to play centre, then sure.

Zoidberg

First Grade
Side note. Jack Bird gone for the season after doing his acl. I know it would’ve been different circumstances but in hindsight how good is it we didn’t get him.

Pedge1971

First Grade
Bird is a great footy player but not the playmaker we needed.

Has been good this year and would be back in blue but for the injury imo.

But yes we dodged a bullet with him.

aqua_duck

Coach
People were adamant he'd be the dominant 5/8th we needed and was worth the $1 million a year price tag. As someone who had followed his progress since his Harold Mathews days for the Steelers I knew that he was a decent footballer but he's definitely not a 5/8th (he never played in the spine as a junior) and he's definitely not worth anywhere near $1 million per year.

Mr_Knightside

Juniors
Of the players that we missed out on, Graham is really the only one that stands out as a missed opportunity. Missing out on Scott, Blair, Bird etc worked out very well for us as we replaced them with Klemmer, Pearce etc.

Even Graham is slowing down and isn’t the player he once was. The thing that probably makes him valuable to the dragons at this stage is his leadership.

macavity

Referee
Bird at 5/8 would have been good for us.

But would probably have meant we didn’t have the dollars for Klem or Pearce.... and he would only work at 5/8 next to a good half.

He didn’t want to come here because he didn’t want to be the first to sign. So the attitude wasn’t what we needed anyway.

aqua_duck

Coach
Graham would've been handy but he's not the same player as a few years back and missing out on Graham probably made us go a lot harder for Klemmer.
In terms of Bird as a 5/8th, the main criticism we have of Watson in that position is that he hasn't got much of a kicking nor passing game, Bird has good hands but doesn't have a kicking game either. Missing out on Blair was definitely a bullet dodged no matter how good a trainer or clubman he might be

Joel-22

Juniors
Watson really is this forum's blindspot.

He has been absolutely f**king woeful this year. I honestly think we'd have been better off keeping Lamb or Cogger. Yes he's fast (but not very fast), yes he's strong (but not very strong). He's small and skill-less.

Last edited:

Bring it home Knights

First Grade
Watson really is this forums blindspot.

He has been absolutely f**king woeful this year. I honestly think we'd have been better off keeping Lamb or Cogger. Yes he's fast (but not very fast), yes he's strong (but not very strong). He's small and skill-less.
I’d like to see Watson become the teams effort man, almost in a Kurt Gidley type role. I’d love to see him consistently sprinting after kicks, supporting the play consistently and diving on loose balls. What he may lack in ball skills, he can make up for in effort.

Latest posts