What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured Targets 3

Old dog

Juniors
Not unless he cuts out errors and plays for whole of game, boundless energy is good but ability would be a bonus. He gets injured trying to be the player he’s not. He is fast, quick runner, not sure between ears. He could develop but so far not the player that coach offered 5/8 to, has been disappointing.

Mr_Knightside

Juniors
Watson really is this forums blindspot.

He has been absolutely f**king woeful this year. I honestly think we'd have been better off keeping Lamb or Cogger. Yes he's fast (but not very fast), yes he's strong (but not very strong). He's small and skill-less.

He’s hardly the forum’s blind spot, whenever we lose a game he’s one of the whipping boys around here so I feel like he’s copped more than his fair share of criticism from the fans.

He definitely hasn’t been at his best but I don’t think he’s been woeful. I think the problem at the moment is that he’s doing a bunch of little things that are helpful for the team overall but then makes an error that sticks out as being really obvious and it often tarnishes the good things that he does.

I think he’s looked pretty dangerous when running the ball and has been really handy out of dummy half as well, also his support play is good, usually he’s in position to take an offload when one of the forwards gets an arm free.

BIHK said he could be this team’s version of Kurt Gidley which I think isn’t a bad call. The main issue is not overplaying his hand which is something that Kurt would do quite often, although to be fair to Kurt look at some of the teams he played in from 2005-2015, he rarely had a dominant playmaker there to make those big plays (especially given Mullen tended to go missing) so he had to try and do it all himself which would often end in failure. The advantage that Watson has on his side is that he’s got Pearce organising the team and Ponga applying the polish to our attacking plays so he should just be able to focus on running at tired forwards and sniffing around the ruck looking for offloads. If he can manage that then he’ll be the right fit.

Joel-22

Juniors
He’s hardly the forum’s blind spot, whenever we lose a game he’s one of the whipping boys around here so I feel like he’s copped more than his fair share of criticism from the fans.

He definitely hasn’t been at his best but I don’t think he’s been woeful. I think the problem at the moment is that he’s doing a bunch of little things that are helpful for the team overall but then makes an error that sticks out as being really obvious and it often tarnishes the good things that he does.

I think he’s looked pretty dangerous when running the ball and has been really handy out of dummy half as well, also his support play is good, usually he’s in position to take an offload when one of the forwards gets an arm free.

BIHK said he could be this team’s version of Kurt Gidley which I think isn’t a bad call. The main issue is not overplaying his hand which is something that Kurt would do quite often, although to be fair to Kurt look at some of the teams he played in from 2005-2015, he rarely had a dominant playmaker there to make those big plays (especially given Mullen tended to go missing) so he had to try and do it all himself which would often end in failure. The advantage that Watson has on his side is that he’s got Pearce organising the team and Ponga applying the polish to our attacking plays so he should just be able to focus on running at tired forwards and sniffing around the ruck looking for offloads. If he can manage that then he’ll be the right fit.

I think the analogy to Gidley is poor. Gidley was much bigger and was a capable playmaker and kicker. Watson really is just a small, relatively quick guy. He has shown on more than one occasion that he is incapable of a simple draw and pass.

Yosh

Coach
Watson really is this forum's blindspot.

He has been absolutely f**king woeful this year. I honestly think we'd have been better off keeping Lamb or Cogger. Yes he's fast (but not very fast), yes he's strong (but not very strong). He's small and skill-less.

No way in my opinion!! He is the first to kick chases and running off the shoulders of all our forwards and has been defending great. Once it clicks a bit he is gonna be amazing getting on the end of offloads and causing havoc late in games. I have loved the work Watson and Gavet bring to the team.

Knight Vision

First Grade
Watson is a super sub for mine and he probably could develop into a decent hooker, if he's a 5/8 it's not the playmaker we need. .

This year he's kicked for 2.9 mtrs , had 0 tries, 1 try assist, 1 line break assist, 3 offloads, on the positive side he's averaging 90 run mtrs. All up though as a spine player he's a passenger, if our other spine players had those stats we'd be running last........hope he gets better.

Last edited:

Swarzey

Bench
I don't know what to do with Watson. He's something but I don't know what that something is. I don't think he's ever really applied himself to learning and excelling in one position but has always had enough talent to get this far without that expertise. He absolutely has the right attitude in terms of on field commitment and enthusiasm - ala Gids - but that's really not enough and I can see this team improving by having a solid 5/8 who puts up solid stats in those stats @Knight Vision mentioned. He could be an outstanding running 5/8 if he applied himself to learning every aspect of the position.

Watson is also the kind of player I don't want the club to give up on without exhausting every option to get the best from him.

Spot On

Coach
I can't believe blokes at this level, on massive $$$ can't pass the footy to another player when in motion.

Mindblowing.

Knight Vision

First Grade
in his favour is he's only 60 games into his NRL career and to be fair he hasnt had a great start to his time in Newcastle, being plagued by injury. I hope he's one of those kids thats doing extra ballwork and video sessions, down at the park practicing a kicking game in his spare time, natural ability alone wont enable him to rise to the top.

Spot On

Coach
in his favour is he's only 60 games into his NRL career and to be fair he hasnt had a great start to his time in Newcastle, being plagued by injury. I hope he's one of those kids thats doing extra ballwork and video sessions, down at the park practicing a kicking game in his spare time, natural ability alone wont enable him to rise to the top.

If he had a passing game he'd be an outstanding talent.

Bring it home Knights

First Grade

Well said and you beat me to it. We are one of the rare teams that have a dominant half and a ball playing fullback, so we can still compete well if we have a 5/8 who is the teams effort man. Ideally we would love to have 3 outstanding ball players, but that would also destroy our salary cap. If Watson can develop consistency along with effort plays, then we look pretty good.

Bring it home Knights

First Grade
I think the analogy to Gidley is poor. Gidley was much bigger and was a capable playmaker and kicker. Watson really is just a small, relatively quick guy. He has shown on more than one occasion that he is incapable of a simple draw and pass.

I just googled Watson and Gidley re weight. It came up that Gidley was 86kg and Watson is 87kg. All you have to do is look at Watson and you know he has been smashing the weights, particularly over the off-season that has just gone.

Bring it home Knights

First Grade
No way in my opinion!! He is the first to kick chases and running off the shoulders of all our forwards and has been defending great. Once it clicks a bit he is gonna be amazing getting on the end of offloads and causing havoc late in games. I have loved the work Watson and Gavet bring to the team.
Well said. How long have the people on here been screaming for a player to back up the forwards for the chance of an offload? Probably since the days of Robbie O.

Knight Vision

First Grade
when I was in the Army it was always emphasized a team is only as fast as its slowest man, a chain is only as strong as its weakest link. Below emphasizes where we are and where we need to be basing ourselves on a crucial playmaking position

Watsons personal stats directly affect the teams relative overall position in crucial stats we need to win more games and be more competitive. If he was in any position other than the spine we could afford to take the time to allow him to grow as a player.

Keary 1 try 7 forced drop outs. Average 225 kick mtrs. 11 try ass, 5 line break ass. 7 offloads. 378 receipts

Walker 5 tries. 5 forced drop puts. Average 90 kick mtrs. 7 try ass. 7 line break assist. 5 offloads. 366 receipts

Munster 5 tries. 4 forced drop outs. Average 199 kick mtrs. 3 try ass. 3 line break ass. 6 offloads.411 receipts

Wighton 5 tries, 5 forced drop outs, Average 224 kick mtrs.1 try ass. 4 line break ass (21 tackle breaks) 383 receipts ( average 95 run mtrs)

Watson 0 tries, 0 forced drop outs. Average 2.9 kick mtrs. 1 try assist, 1 line break assist, 3 offloads, 237 receipts ( average 90 run mtrs )

Knight Vision

First Grade
I just googled Watson and Gidley re weight. It came up that Gidley was 86kg and Watson is 87kg. All you have to do is look at Watson and you know he has been smashing the weights, particularly over the off-season that has just gone.
size isnt an issue, he's as basically big as Keary and he's carving it up.

Bring it home Knights

First Grade
when I was in the Army it was always emphasized a team is only as fast as its slowest man, a chain is only as strong as its weakest link. Below emphasizes where we are and where we need to be basing ourselves on a crucial playmaking position

Watsons personal stats directly affect the teams relative overall position in crucial stats we need to win more games and be more competitive. If he was in any position other than the spine we could afford to take the time to allow him to grow as a player.

Keary 1 try 7 forced drop outs. Average 225 kick mtrs. 11 try ass, 5 line break ass. 7 offloads. 378 receipts

Walker 5 tries. 5 forced drop puts. Average 90 kick mtrs. 7 try ass. 7 line break assist. 5 offloads. 366 receipts

Munster 5 tries. 4 forced drop outs. Average 199 kick mtrs. 3 try ass. 3 line break ass. 6 offloads.411 receipts

Wighton 5 tries, 5 forced drop outs, Average 224 kick mtrs.1 try ass. 4 line break ass (21 tackle breaks) 383 receipts ( average 95 run mtrs)

Watson 0 tries, 0 forced drop outs. Average 2.9 kick mtrs. 1 try assist, 1 line break assist, 3 offloads, 237 receipts ( average 90 run mtrs )
I'm far from Watson's biggest fan, I'm simply looking at the best way to utilise what we have. If someone has a better idea for a 5/8 I'm more than happy to hear it. I'm simply putting out the idea that because he lacks ball playing ability in 2019 then we need him to develop other aspects that will benefit the team and effort plays were what I suggested.

Knight Vision

First Grade
I'm far from Watson's biggest fan, I'm simply looking at the best way to utilise what we have. If someone has a better idea for a 5/8 I'm more than happy to hear it. I'm simply putting out the idea that because he lacks ball playing ability in 2019 then we need him to develop other aspects that will benefit the team and effort plays were what I suggested.
I agree , I was more commenting on the future beyond this year. I dont think there is a better option at the moment - Lino isnt the answer and havent really watched Mann that much before. Its horrifying to think if Pearce went off that Watson would be the man in the drivers seat. I'd love to see Pearce working with a genuine playmaking option. Right now its- no Pearce no Newcastle. The top teams have 2 genuine playmaking options.

Knight Vision

First Grade
There's talk of the Panthers wanting to move Maloney on early. I'd take him for 1 year with a second year option in Knight favour. Hopefully by then Phoenix Crossland is ready to step up. Forget talk of TPJ until we get a decent 5/8 and see how much money we have left.

Latest posts