What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured Targets 3

slotmachine

First Grade
Yeah, but Snowden played Round 1. Club knew Jimmy Mac wasn't playing in 2016 last year.

This is just conspiracy stuff as usual. The NRL doesn't hate us, we're just dumb.

Watmough was on 800k under the cap, he got injured in pre season and has officially pulled the pin, so $400k of his contract doesn't count for this year.

If Snowden pulled the pin we'd get about 200k to spend for this year. Seems like he still wants to play though.

Last edited:
Yeah, but Snowden played Round 1. Club knew Jimmy Mac wasn't playing in 2016 last year.

This is just conspiracy stuff as usual. The NRL doesn't hate us, we're just dumb.

Watmough was on 800k under the cap, he got injured in pre season, so $400k of his contract doesn't count for this year.

If Snowden pulled the pin we'd get about 200k to spend for this year. Seems like he still wants to play though.

I don't think we could do much with $200k anyway this year, He may as well have one last crack

League_God

Juniors
When the club is free of Dane Gagai, Akuila Uate, Kade Snowden, Jarrod Mullen, Trent Hodkinson, Tariq Sims, Korbin Sims, the Mata'utias and Robbie Rochow we'll be able to rebuild. In the meantime we may as well get used to this steaming pile of shit calling themselves the Newcastle Knights.
Korbin could stay as a benchie, Sione could stay as a winger. Other than that - the others must go

slotmachine

First Grade
korbin not terrible value on 350k, sione too expensive to be playing wing

tariq hopefully leaves, gagai and uate finish up next year. snowden might retire, mullen might be tapped on the shoulder for an ESL trip. should have money to spend for 2018

^^^ I'm agreeing with part of this. It was the guys we had who were so-called "experienced" that needed to step up and take some leadership earlier on this season. They weren't capable of it. From then it has been downhill.
Randell was the only leader out there for the time he was on.
We still have that weak mentality in the players we have kept.
I reckon the player we are rumoured to be letting g ois either Rochow or Tariq followed by Gagai and Uate.
Rochow is deadset gone. Tariq won;t accept what we will offer. Neither will be there next year. Best for Gagai to move on.
I was always amazed that we would sign so many of the Mata'utia's - then we go and sign Pete.

Hayne has retired from the NFL.

We need him. Here is my plan.

Step 1: move on mullen and uate
Step 2: ??????????
Step 3: sign hayne

Caped Crusader

Juniors
The retiring from NFL is real mate. Hayne has joined the Fiji 7s side over night in London

No chance we'll get him though after that unless we can come up with a very big TPA "deal"

That may be true but Jaryd clearly marches to the beat of his own drum. He grew up in a housing commission unit in Minto. We need to have a crack at signing him regardless. He might be willing to listen.

AusKnightRKO

First Grade
The Ego trip of being the best player on the team, and being the reason the teams fortunes turn arouns could be enough, plus it wouldn't be hard to find a Third Party for him.

League_God

Juniors
I'm genuinely curious... will we sign anyone for next year?
I think we're best off hitting the market hard in 2017. That gives us time to rid ourselves of

- Robbie Rochow
- Dane Gagai (unless he finds form again - which I think he will)
- Kade Snowden
- Tariq Sims
- Aku Uate
- Jeremy Smith
- Korbin Sims (same caveat as gags)
- Jake Mamo
- And a bunch of those on small contracts who are never going to be FG material (Jaelen Feeney, Lachlan Fitzgibbon and co.)

If we don't have cap space then... well f**k a duck

betcats

Referee
Forget Hayne. Even if you add him to this team you guys would struggle to make the 8, Parra did for most of his time there. IMO you need to go out and sign 4 or 5 solid, hardworking journeymen for a couple seasons to fill out the squad and give guys like the Safitis, Sione and those young halves time to develop into real quality FGers. Then over the next season or two target a few young up and coming players who are looking for an opportunity for more playing time or whatever and in the meantime throw whatever money the club has at improving your junior structures and development. It might be 3 or 4 more years of struggling around in that bottom 8 but eventually you will see dividends imo.

We dont have any money to throw around at junior structures. That was the first thing the NRL cut when they took over.

The NRL came here and cut whatever they could to get the club running at break even. We pretty much have enough money to cover wages, of which we are obliged to cover.

If only someone in the early 90s had to foresight to invest in long term financial stability.

slotmachine

First Grade
No money to sign these journeymen as it stands.

In a semi-realistic scenario where Tariq and Rochow leave, Snowden retires and Aku goes to Japanese rugby we might scrape together close to $1.5 million in cap space.

Who do we sign? Luke Lewis is quality but 34 next year. Not alot of other names there that would really improve what we already have.