What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured Targets 3

Dragons forum jizzing themselves over tariq like they have just signed JT. Do they even watch footy?

I dont believe for a second he signed with them for 400k a season. Makes no sense to be out of pocket 200k a year.

Wato

Juniors
Dragons forum jizzing themselves over tariq like they have just signed JT. Do they even watch footy?

I dont believe for a second he signed with them for 400k a season. Makes no sense to be out of pocket 200k a year.

Shows a lack of belief from him that his form will turn around and with the amount of talent off contract at the end of next year Tariq sims would be pretty low on most clubs priority lists.

Noname36

First Grade
Just don't sign any pension seekers.

This was exactly how we got into the current situation. Signing too many older blokes without the money to replace them when they retired.

Bennett played it perfectly though. Signed them all and then did a runner before the inevitable shit his the fan.

Noname36

First Grade
I can't see any downsides to this - other than the potential risk of losing Korbin but Tariq was here for Korbin (and the stupid money he was on) not the other way around.

I'm pleasantly surprised to be honest. I thought we'd bend and upgrade him for sure. I guess it proves Brown is happy to make the right calls and not let the current pressure make him fold and make the wrong ones in panic.

Swarzey

Bench
Korbin is mature enough to make his own decisions. He left a pretty comfortable spot in Brisbane to create his own path in Newcastle. IIRC it was Korbin they wanted and Tariq was just a bonus.

Given our young side I wouldn't mind one slightly older head we can get 3/4 years out of. If we can somehow get a clone of 2013 Jeremy Smith that would be great.

perverse

Referee
All we need to say to Korbin is that he's a better player than his brother, but his brother wanted to earn more. A lot more. No bullshit.

AusKnightRKO

First Grade
It's delusional, but with all the cap space we would have, it
Would be a great buy, and surely he would be the one block we could get a Third Party deal for.

borat

Bench
I take it from the Knights press release that we have Tariq for the rest of the year?

Would you want to keep him?

If he is on the sort of money at the Knights as suggested, wouldn't that cash be better spent elsewhere? I could see the reasoning of keeping Tariq if he was on peanuts but not on the sort of cash being reported.

Knight76

Juniors
I think Alex28 means it's disappointing we have him for the rest of the year. Though with the rate we churn through players, we may need him if we can't replace him.

borat

Bench
I just would have thought freeing up the cash now would be more valuable to the Knights than any fringe back rower the Dragons will offer in exchange.

The Knights could stick to their guns and ask for a better quality player but the Dragons won't do that with finals footy the goal.

Still Nutty

Juniors
I take it from the Knights press release that we have Tariq for the rest of the year?

I take it from Brown's comments at the press meeting after the game that he holds no animosity to Tariq about his decision to take the Dragons offer for 2017 and that translates into using him if he stays here but it would also be about the Dragon's capacity to carry a salary for this current year - I'm certainly expecting that we wouldn't continue to pay his salary but can the Dragons manage it this year?

If they can't then he has to stay and we might as well have him as a filler for injuries and suspensions (how long with Korbin get?)

EDIT - just checked the judiciary and KSims will have to sit out 1 match if he takes the early guilty plea because of 30 carry over points he has hanging over him...but I can't believe it was only listed as a Grade 1, careless?! After seeing it last night and knowing we always seem to get ramped up in the severity grading, I expected him to have a couple of weeks on the sideline

Last edited:
Midley has come out and said that Rochow is the type of player we hope to retain. I reckon our offer to him will be too low but we may go 2 to 3 years on it.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
I just would have thought freeing up the cash now would be more valuable to the Knights than any fringe back rower the Dragons will offer in exchange.

The Knights could stick to their guns and ask for a better quality player but the Dragons won't do that with finals footy the goal.

Legally, TSims has to be paid his full $600k (he could choose to forgo it, but why would he?). The Dragons wont have much room in their cap for this year, so we'd be paying the majority.

We wouldnt gain much cap space from moving him on and we would lose what little bit he does offer.

Burwood

Bench
I'm happy for Tims to see out the year here just so he can cop a suspension in the last game of the season and miss the opening 8 rounds of 2017.