What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured Targets 3

1qaz

Juniors
To think he was made one of the captains too :lol:
In all seriousness, Tapine is a big loss to the Knights. He was the only Knights forward that had footwork and nice offload in him.
I wouldn't have offered him 500k but when Tariq is getting 600k...

Yep what he said

Nuffy

Bench
I dont know either of the suggested players but past history suggests we'll likely get the less talented of the two.

Frederick

Staff member
Looks like the dragons forum is throwing a party at the potential departure of Marketo...

So yep, that'll be who we end up with. Joy

Nuffy

Bench
Looks like the dragons forum is throwing a party at the potential departure of Marketo...

So yep, that'll be who we end up with. Joy

So lets just say no to a swap, let him go early if we must and bank the benefit.

Bearing in mind the Saints players both have valid contracts so they can say no also.

Worse case would be taking one and then having to offer a multi year deal.

Let the Saint sweeten the pot if they want the deal to proceed.

Tariq will work out better away from us. He hasn't stepped up and that's what we needed. I'm surprised we offered him an upgrade earlier on.
Now we need to find a fwd who can step up and take a leadership role. I'm surprised about Ross. He has the attitude the club needs. Figure that with all these Mats being signed we are using them as a backstop.

macavity

Referee
Tariq will work out better away from us. He hasn't stepped up and that's what we needed. I'm surprised we offered him an upgrade earlier on.
Now we need to find a fwd who can step up and take a leadership role. I'm surprised about Ross. He has the attitude the club needs. Figure that with all these Mats being signed we are using them as a backstop.

should use a few of them as doorstops...

Nuffy

Bench

He's better than at least two of the bros and maybe at least three if given the same opportunities.

Its not his fault that he expects to be paid equal to them, but he also knows that they are on far too much money as a group.

mobels

Juniors
Daily Telegraph is reporting that Dragons have signed Sims on a 1.2 mil 3 year deal. Strange because I thought his current deal was in the 650k a year range?

Johns Magic

Referee
He's better than at least two of the bros and maybe at least three if given the same opportunities.

Its not his fault that he expects to be paid equal to them, but he also knows that they are on far too much money as a group.

So would Brown, which is why that argument from Ross won't hold weight.

Stockwell will surely move on early as well if he's stuck in NSW Cup for another year and a half. No doubt we'll rightly have to foot some if the bill on that one but I hope it happens.

One thing I feel is that it is hard to attract players to a struggling club, but it is easier when you completely overhaul the roster. The prospect of an entirely new side as opposed to joining a team of proven strugglers is more enticing, and I think we've seen it with a couple of other clubs(albeit richer ones). Dogs the year they signed Eastwood, Stagg, Ennis and several others all at once. I hope if we cut a lot of deadweight, a couple of good signings will change the feeling in the air about us.

Burwood

Bench
Who can blame Ross for being under the impression that he is worth more? He looks around himself at training each day and sees all these other players who, despite their limited ability, are all on massive pay checks that make his look like pocket change.

However, I think he'd be in a bit of shock if he saw what other players who were unable to nail down a position and had only played a limited number of games were earning at other clubs. $125,000 max I'd reckon.

The total pay for the Mats matters. Sione has said how important family is to him and, in particular, setting his mother up.
I reckon Ross could have been a long term fullback for us if given the opportunity. I can't see Gagai hanging around.
Now we'll get Mamo on wing.
Brown hinted on Sione at fullback but wants to keep him in position for a while longer. He reckons shuffling Sione around last year affected his game.

Bring it home Knights

First Grade
I'm so stoked to hear that Sims is going. For the 600K that he was on he definitely should have put in a hell of a lot more. It must rub off badly on the other players when one of your captains and highest paid players is playing like a plodder. That cash can be spent far better elsewhere!

Daily Telegraph is reporting that Dragons have signed Sims on a 1.2 mil 3 year deal. Strange because I thought his current deal was in the 650k a year range?

If that is correct he has really gone for the soft option. Could have stayed on $550k for another year and half and proved himself and probably got that or more when the salary cap increases.

Sounds like he is not keen to back himself.

I reckon these guys we are getting are just pawns. Unless they prove otherwise. I can see them going to reserves to strengthen up reserves a bit and then us going for a fwd we need like Lewis.
This deal says to me that we are waiting to see just who we want and is available and keen.

People wishing Tariq well at St George are kidding. Why in your right mind do you want to see someone who gave little to us excel somewhere else? Another glaringly obvious example is Darius Boyd. We provide him with the mental rehabilitation care he needs and he pisses off to Brisbane and excels there. You forget it is us that is made to look inept. Nathan Brown is trying his hardest to end the Newcastle as a walking carpet attitude. We have a shrewd boss who will not budge on his estimate of a player's worth.

Twitter suggesting we are still chasing Lewis to be here next year and it is looking promising. Nathan Ryan is a good source of info. usually gets it right.

Last edited:

Johns Magic

Referee
Quality, successful players won't be interested unless it's for $$$.

Young guys who want to play first grade, maybe.

The first couple of proven first-graders will require overs, no doubt.

We are already paying overs for "stars" though so hopefully we just use the money we free up from them more wisely.

Once a couple of quality players come on board it may get easier to attract others and especially younger guys.

I have no issue wishing Tariq well. He has performed for us at times but I just don't think he has what we need at this stage. We need a leader up front and someone to bring structure. I don't think Tariq is that sort of player. Nothing personal at all.
Brown has commented that Tariq and Sione are the sort of players he wanted out there because of their desire to win attitude.

Latest posts