What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured Targets 3

Nuffy

Bench
I don't think branding is the issue and once you lose the Knights, you lose much of the heritage of players and comps etc.

It's not like changing from the Chargers, which had zippo going for them and no pedigree.

To me branding is taking down one of the key positives, it doesn't improve the situation.

Why would you want to change?

Since the early 2000s it's been a slim period for star Newcastle Juniors full stop. In the 90s and early 2000s we had people like Kimmorley and Ennis having to leave just to get a regular game in first grade.

Since the mid 2000s it's not like there are heaps of Newcastle bred superstars all around the NRL. Boyd Cordner is probably the biggest name. Even a guy like Greg Bird was let go due to repeated stupidity whilst in the 20s rather than poached.

Swarzey

Bench
AFAIK, the club is rather healthy off field. We're not getting rebranded anytime soon and doing so would do jack shit to help us out of the position we're in.

Guarantee in two, three years we'll be fine.

macavity

Referee
AFAIK, the club is rather healthy off field. We're not getting rebranded anytime soon and doing so would do jack shit to help us out of the position we're in.

Guarantee in two, three years we'll be fine.

Thoughts and praayers isn't getting us there.

Yet to see any reason to trust we will be fine. No money, no prospects, and no ideas - in fact the "plan" they have is naive at best and dangerously incompetent at worst. Recruitment strategy based on what fans answer in surveys FFS.

Swarzey

Bench
Thoughts and praayers isn't getting us there.

Yet to see any reason to trust we will be fine. No money, no prospects, and no ideas.

Subjective.

I'd count us getting rid of dead-weight and signalling the end of players on too much who have been protected for too long as a sign this club is doing something to have an ounce of faith. Sure I'd like some more off field movement such as a CEO who can actually do business, but it's something.

Let's also not forget that the club currently sitting second was pushed to relocate to Rockhampton or even Perth just two years ago. Nor the Titans who almost yearly get bombarded with fears of going under. Not the first club to be in this position, won't be the last.

but you do you fam.

Noname36

First Grade
I don't think branding is the issue and once you lose the Knights, you lose much of the heritage of players and comps etc.

It's not like changing from the Chargers, which had zippo going for them and no pedigree.

To me branding is taking down one of the key positives, it doesn't improve the situation.

Why would you want to change?

Finally a sensible post.

Spot On

Coach
If Brown can move on the final 2 or 3 players we have on in excess of 500K a season and we don't end up with anything to show for it and we remain under the control of the NRL, then I'll admit the ship has sunk and the end is nigh.

slotmachine

First Grade
Since the mid 2000s it's not like there are heaps of Newcastle bred superstars all around the NRL. Boyd Cordner is probably the biggest name. Even a guy like Greg Bird was let go due to repeated stupidity whilst in the 20s rather than poached.

Yeah, total myth that bigger clubs are poaching all our juniors. There isn't anyone worth poaching.

In regards to recruitment strategy, probably a bit early to be calling it a failure.
Midley and Co might be blowing smoke up everyone's arse to keep the mouth breathers happy. I hope.

So far Brown and Mooney have;

brought in Pauli, who is doing great for his $130k pay cheque
brought in Pete Mat, which was a bit WTF, but on nothing and only till 2017
extended lamb and the Saifitis
singed a bunch of second tier guys that don't matter, Bhana, Freeman Pearsall etc
called tariqs bluff
called rochows bluff
appear to be trying to punt aku

That's a pretty tidy effort considering they had the change in Midley's centre console left to spend once Stone and Hages were finished with their upgrade extravaganza.

I'll reserve judgement until I see what they do with the money they have now freed up.

Last edited:

Joel-22

Juniors
Yeah, total myth that bigger clubs are poaching all our juniors. There isn't anyone worth poaching.

In regards to recruitment strategy, probably a bit early to be calling it a failure.
Midley and Co might be blowing smoke up everyone's arse to keep the mouth breathers happy. I hope.

So far Brown and Mooney have;

brought in Pauli, who is doing great for his $130k pay cheque
brought in Pete Mat, which was a bit WTF, but on nothing and only till 2017
extended lamb and the Saifitis
singed a bunch of second tier guys that don't matter, Bhana, Freeman Pearsall etc
called tariqs bluff
called rochows bluff
appear to be trying to punt aku

That's a pretty tidy effort considering they had the change in Midley's centre console left to spend once Stone and Hages were finished with their upgrade extravaganza.

I'll reserve judgement until I see what they do with the money they have now freed up.

Also got rid of houston

Still Nutty

Juniors
Does anyone think Mullen will play for us next year?

For some reason, I just can't see it happening. I can see him announcing that he's going to England for 2017 and beyond.

This is based on nothing btw, just a hunch.

I agree with what Swarzey has posted to a large degree...

The other point I'd make is that Mullen(fit) seems keen to see his time out here for some redemption. The only win we had this year against the Tigers was all on Mullen in the players faces that whole game on the field - I watched him that whole game and at every breakdown of play or break, he was passionate and as fired up as I've ever seen him...he really dragged the team with him that day to get that game across the line.

Maybe its unfinished business or whatever, but I believe he wants to be here and contribute to the rebuilding this club, help bring this crop of juniors through, etc.

If he can get anything like healthy, I expect him to be here for 2017...unless Brownie doesn't want him

Latest posts