What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured Targets 3

PhilGould

Bench
We are one of 5 clubs chasing Tigers u/20's forward Esan Marsters, though Cronulla are the favorites to land him

K-Man

Bench
Stockwell's a weird one. He's still young and I think at his full potential is a really good player. So there must be some pretty major issues for Brown to send him packing at this point when he's under contract and has plenty of tomorrows.

I trust the coach, but it's just more unusual than the usual dead wood cleanout with the likes of Houston. if Stockwell went to the Storm, for example, we all know he'd be a quality first grader and possibly even knocking on the rep door in no time.

Still, we paid overs for him and he's not playing first grade, so if we get rid of him early it might help the rebuild.

Question is where are we spending all this money? We are letting a lot of guys go, there has to be some decent signings coming eventually surely.

Alex28

Coach
More to the point, who is taking him on the stupid money he's signed for next year, and how much will we have to pay of it?

K-Man

Bench
Have a look at the players off contract this year, not much quality there.

Agreed, which makes it all the more puzzling. As crazy as it seems we could end up with a 2017 squad significantly worse (or at least less depth) than this year. That's scary.

Lost: Snowden, Tariq Sims, Stockwell, Smith, McManus
Might Lose: Ross, Uate, Rochow
Gained: Pete Mata'utia, Elliot, Barnett

We're a very long way short of coming out even there. Not complaining, I'm in favour of a cleanout, but there's just not much quality out there to bring in even if anyone would consider signing with such a rabble. All adds up to us going even further backwards before there's any chance of moving forwards. Will the 50-0's become 70-0's?

slotmachine

First Grade
As soon as November 1 rolls around we need to be targeting the 2017 off contract players. If we bag one we can then try to get them released early. Only really works if you're dealing with a team who isn't going to be playing finals though.

If we lose Ross I have no idea on what our club is doing in recruitment
reward good players they say.....

We might lose him. I hope we don't. He typifies what the club can be about. A battler who has made it good.
Apparently, he is always asking about how he can improve and he actually listens.
Having been exposed he well might get other offers on the table.

PhilGould

Bench
Coincidently, Ross met with Penrith today and apparently has a few other offers on the table too, both here and in England. I think it's very unlikely he'll still be with us next season.

slotmachine

First Grade
If we lose Ross I have no idea on what our club is doing in recruitment
reward good players they say.....

bloke is 28 with 15 odd games in first grade (and 5 good ones). If he can get himself a big $$$ contract elsewhere he needs to grab it, and we would be crazy to match.

bloke is 28 with 15 odd games in first grade (and 5 good ones). If he can get himself a big $$$ contract elsewhere he needs to grab it, and we would be crazy to match.

I agree that based on his FG experience we shouldn't thrown crazy money at him but on the positive side his body probably isn't anywhere as knocked around as other 28 year olds who have been in the NRL since age 21 so maybe he can play for a bit longer than usual.

Jeremy Smith didn't hit the NRL until 24 and he lasted until 36 as a forward.

Swarzey

Bench
No idea what he wants or what the club is offering. AFAIK he's still on a second tier contract so I'd understand if he wants something better; kind of deserves it considering he's been our best back all year.

Noname36

First Grade
I think Ross will stay if we give him at least a reasonably competitive offer. This was the club after all that gave a bloke of his age a FG shot and then persevered with him.

Latest posts