What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured Targets 3

Mr_Knightside

Juniors
If we were to somehow miraculously sign Hayne I don't even think it would solve anything for us. Firstly Hayne hasn't played NRL in almost 2 years now but secondly he "won" 2 spoons with Parra when they had a better side than we do currently so I don't think he's going to magically solve any of our problems.

Also whilst Hayne is an elite player he's only actually ever played two really standout seasons in the NRL and both times he won the Dally M medal. Every other season he's played has been inconsistent and some games he's looked untouchable and other games he's looked disinterested. Obviously he's in a different league to anyone we have right now but he definitely comes across as a guy who's looking after his own interests and is a bit of an ego player, really not something we need at this point.

really? surely 2012 form was better

He is up there. He has come a long way considering the post dally M slump he had. Doesnt change the fact that the sharks have a gun proven fullback, with a future superstar on the wing who wants to play fullback. Something has to give. Cant see holmes signing a contract anywhere unless he will be first in line for fullback

PhilGould

Bench
I think there'll be a couple of other, more attractive, clubs that offer him a fullback spot. Titans will for sure.

The mastermind behind putting together this Sharks roster is now with us trying to put together our roster, so hopefully he has some sort of relationship with Holmes.

Last edited:
When I first got involved in the Balmain Junior Rugby League Darren Mooney was the guy who ran the JRL comp and the Balmain Junior Rep teams. Its a pretty low paying type role but he was a great operator. Draws always out early, website and results always up to date, trainers and coaches courses ran like clockwork etc. I remember he left to take on some 12 month secondment helping to organise that APEC international leaders conference in Sydney.

Didn't hear about him for a while until he bobbed up at the Sharks. I don't think he had a particularly senior position there originally but when things started to go pear shaped and they had no money or staff he seemed to step up and it sounded like he has doing 3 or 4 peoples jobs at once.

One of those sink or swim type situations where someone stepped up and delivered. Hopefully he does similar things for us.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
I think there'll be a couple of other, more attractive, clubs that offer him a fullback spot. Titans will for sure.

The mastermind behind putting together this Sharks roster is now with us trying to put together our roster, so hopefully he has some sort of relationship with Holmes.

Who is that?? I dont know much about the Knights football department under Brown

Edit: wait, i take it thats this Darren Mooney chap...

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
When I first got involved in the Balmain Junior Rugby League Darren Mooney was the guy who ran the JRL comp and the Balmain Junior Rep teams. Its a pretty low paying type role but he was a great operator. Draws always out early, website and results always up to date, trainers and coaches courses ran like clockwork etc. I remember he left to take on some 12 month secondment helping to organise that APEC international leaders conference in Sydney.

Didn't hear about him for a while until he bobbed up at the Sharks. I don't think he had a particularly senior position there originally but when things started to go pear shaped and they had no money or staff he seemed to step up and it sounded like he has doing 3 or 4 peoples jobs at once.

One of those sink or swim type situations where someone stepped up and delivered. Hopefully he does similar things for us.

I meet a lot of guys with great reputations who turn out to be utter f*ckwits, so im cautious when i hear such glowing descriptions.

HOWEVER, if he is as good as you say, id take him over Midley in a heartbeat....

Noname36

First Grade
I meet a lot of guys with great reputations who turn out to be utter f*ckwits, so im cautious when i hear such glowing descriptions.

HOWEVER, if he is as good as you say, id take him over Midley in a heartbeat....

Different position to Midley.

Nuffy

Bench
About Ross and cap space room to bring in experienced forwards (according to Gidley):
http://www.theherald.com.au/story/3975721/knights-set-for-dog-fight/?cs=306

I'm just skeptical, they have cap space, they don't have cap space, we've let 15 blokes go yet our cap is a mess.

I think that Mids can't help but float stories that he thinks the fans want to hear with the express purpose of buying time until seasons end, then they can worry about 2017 and what manner of mess they'll serve up.

PhilGould

Bench
INTEREST BUILDING FOR HOLMES

Cronulla are not the only club hoping Valentine Holmes will reject interest from rugby, with Newcastle also interested in signing the dynamo.

Last week it was reported that the Queensland Reds were circling the try scoring machine but Market Watch can reveal the Knights are also keen on the Townsville product who comes off contract at the end of next season.

Playing on the wing for Cronulla, the Knights see him as a fullback and would be willing to give him the opportunity to play his desired position.

Over the last 12 months, Newcastle have tried playing Jaelen Feeney, Jake Mamo, Sione Mata’utia and Dane Gagai at fullback.

While Gagai is filling the role at present, his best position is at centre.

Holmes was in the running along with Jack Bird during the pre-season for the Sharks’ No.1 jersey but ultimately they both lost out to Ben Barba who has been in phenomenal form.

Coming off contract at the end of next year and in no rush to extend his current deal, Holmes isn’t short of options.

The 20-year-old has previously been linked with St George Illawarra and is sure to attract major interest come November when he’s able to start negotiating with rivals.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl...h/news-story/fe821f61db1a3cb4d60ff90956898662

Sharks will surely struggle to keep all there players with Jack Bird looking at a big upgrade although if Gallen retires that should free up about $4m a season

Latest posts