What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured Targets 3

Bring it home Knights

First Grade
I agree that based on his FG experience we shouldn't thrown crazy money at him but on the positive side his body probably isn't anywhere as knocked around as other 28 year olds who have been in the NRL since age 21 so maybe he can play for a bit longer than usual.

Jeremy Smith didn't hit the NRL until 24 and he lasted until 36 as a forward.

Forwards and halves are generally able to play for longer than backs. Speed is generally the first thing to go when a player ages and that is why backs generally retire earlier.

Jono078

Referee
I've been a big fan of Ross' recent form. But let's not get ourselves in another Wes Naiqama situation.

If he re-signs it has to be a sensible offer and nothing crazy. I'm not totally with what the market value is these days, but I think 170k for Ross would be fair?

Alex28

Coach
Giving him stupid money in a knee jerk reaction to other offers is exactly why we are in the hole we are right now.

He isn't a 10 year player. If another team wants to pay overs for him - great. I don't want us to go through the pain in getting rid of players just to overpay Nathan Ross.

Spot On

Coach
Giving him stupid money in a knee jerk reaction to other offers is exactly why we are in the hole we are right now.

He isn't a 10 year player. If another team wants to pay overs for him - great. I don't want us to go through the pain in getting rid of players just to overpay Nathan Ross.

Exactly.

Brown knows what he is worth and has consistently shown he will not go down the track his predecessors have.

It's hard to comment much more as we don't know how much his manager is asking for.

Good luck to Ross if he finds a gold mine somewhere else.

perverse

Referee
Just a thought that I'm sure others have had... but I just think it's worth saying out loud at this point...

With so many exiting the club at the moment, and only nuffies and low-earners looking to replace them at this stage... are we clearing the decks for a big, big play at Hayne? There couldn't possibly be another club in the NRL with the wriggle room that we have now, even with TPAs taken into consideration.

Taz gone, Stockwell on the outer, Aku being shopped about again, not throwing big cash at Ross... I'm sure I'm missing others that we've freed up over the past 6 months. I know I laughed at the idea of Hayne when it was first floated... but seriously, we are making every effort to free up big time cash, and Bird doesn't come close to covering it, nor does Lewis on his grandpa tour.

Of course, making a big play for Hayne and getting Hayne are 2 different things entirely. Gidley has said we have/are angling to have money open for a marquee and another forward or 2. I don't want to get our hopes up or anything, but it wouldn't surprise me if this is what's going on behind the scenes.

I am sure if the rumour mill started that the knights were chasing hayne then a few third parties may come out of the woodwork, you would hope

slotmachine

First Grade
Why would Hayne come to Newcastle?

If he wants money, European/Japanese rugby can offer three times what the Knights can.
If he wants to play league, can't see him being interested in the two time wooden spooners.

Spot On

Coach
Just a thought that I'm sure others have had... but I just think it's worth saying out loud at this point...

With so many exiting the club at the moment, and only nuffies and low-earners looking to replace them at this stage... are we clearing the decks for a big, big play at Hayne? There couldn't possibly be another club in the NRL with the wriggle room that we have now, even with TPAs taken into consideration.

Taz gone, Stockwell on the outer, Aku being shopped about again, not throwing big cash at Ross... I'm sure I'm missing others that we've freed up over the past 6 months. I know I laughed at the idea of Hayne when it was first floated... but seriously, we are making every effort to free up big time cash, and Bird doesn't come close to covering it, nor does Lewis on his grandpa tour.

Of course, making a big play for Hayne and getting Hayne are 2 different things entirely. Gidley has said we have/are angling to have money open for a marquee and another forward or 2. I don't want to get our hopes up or anything, but it wouldn't surprise me if this is what's going on behind the scenes.

Reports are that Hayne will not be back in the NRL next season, instead joining a league of some sort in Europe.

perverse

Referee
I'm not saying it's likely, I'm just suggesting that might be what we're currently trying to do. I'm at a loss as to why we're clearing the decks.

Noname36

First Grade
Why would Hayne come to Newcastle?

If he wants money, European/Japanese rugby can offer three times what the Knights can.
If he wants to play league, can't see him being interested in the two time wooden spooners.

This. If the club's plan/big white hope is to land someone like Hayne then I am legitimately concerned because they'd be planning around something which isn't at all realistically obtainable.

I'm all for clearing the decks because everyone we're tapping on the shoulder is either way overpaid, useless or can't carry on due to injury but I really hope our targets for the money cleared are a bit more realistic.

There's aiming big which is good but then there's just being stupid by aiming to something obviously unattainable. The club does seem to have made big strides in not being as stupid this year though so I doubt we'd be thinking we could land someone like Hayne.

AusKnightRKO

First Grade
Clearing the Deck for 2018 when the cap goes up, Make a play at Valentine Holmes and some of the talent off contract, we could have somewhere in the range of 4+ mill to spend if everything goes well.

K-Man

Bench
Clearing the Deck for 2018 when the cap goes up, Make a play at Valentine Holmes and some of the talent off contract, we could have somewhere in the range of 4+ mill to spend if everything goes well.

That's the way I see it at the moment. There has to be a reason and a plan for what we're doing, but it's slim pickings for 2017 so perhaps it really is all eyes on 2018.

I'm not expecting Hayne-like miracles. Perhaps something resembling this by 2018:

1. Holmes / New Signing
2. C Mata'utia
3. S Mata'utia
4. Wardle / New Signing
5. Elliot
6. Townsend / Lamb
7. Hodkinson / Lamb / Anyone but Hodkinson
13. Bateman / New Signing
12. J Saifiti
11. Ethan Lowe / New Signing
10. D Saifiti
9. Levi
8. Mataora

14. Barnett
15. Peachey / New Signing
16. K Sims
17. Pauli
18. King

macavity

Referee
As soon as November 1 rolls around we need to be targeting the 2017 off contract players. If we bag one we can then try to get them released early. Only really works if you're dealing with a team who isn't going to be playing finals though.

Valentine Holmes for FB would be my first target - then try bringing it forward, like everyone does to us.

Holmes is a no brainer, things just happen around that kid. Sharks will have a tough decision because holmes will demanding a fullback spot, and Barba is in career best form

Nuffy

Bench

No way for Hayne for one simple reason, he sees himself as a brand now, so it's all about exposure and markets.

He's almost following the SBW play book but has the NFL piece extra. He will be signing mini contracts from now on.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade

I f*ckin hope not.....

Im sick of 1 injury or 1 out-of-form player ending our season. Since Joey finished my favourite squad by far was our group in 2008, specifically because we had not star pickups (we did have a few star players, Budsy and the like, but they were the ones that started here on small contracts and proved they could carry the team and perform when needed).

In 08, i loved that there was massive competition for each spot (so the average players we had always put in everything they had) and that any injury could be covered 3 times over.

Thats the kind of squad i want Browny to build....

perverse

Referee
No way for Hayne for one simple reason, he sees himself as a brand now, so it's all about exposure and markets.

He's almost following the SBW play book but has the NFL piece extra. He will be signing mini contracts from now on.

True story, that's the biggest impediment for mine, profile.

Holmes would be a fantastic target, and I hope we have the long term foresight to be asking questions already to someone of his calibre.

Latest posts